1998 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Intrepid is only great for three years
By emm on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

We got suckered into a five year lease when we wanted a three year. The car was fantastic for 3 and a half years. Thank goodness we have an extended warranty because since then the car has been on a flatbed at least twice a year with major problems. This past month the car was at the dealership for two straight weeks while a part was on back order. Again, my car is in the dealership and they want to charge me $275 for a bad battery and terminal-it isn't covered under the warranty. No wonder the Intrepid is listed by Consumer Reports as one of the worst cars to buy used!!!

NOTHING BUT TROUBLE
By BERNAMANSO on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

THE SAME DAY I BOUGHT MY CAR THE OIL LIGHT CAME ON! THROUGH THE NEXT 2MONTHS THE TRANSMISSION HAD TO BE REPLACED.THEN A ALTERNATOR/POWER STEARING PULLEY!!. WOULD'NT BUY ANOTHER OR TAKE ONE GIVEN TO ME.

Bad Engine!!!!!
By Kristina on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

We have a 98 Dodge Intrepid with 66,000 miles and the engine blew up! We paid 10,000 for it a year ago and now we're lucky to get $2000. To replace the engine it will cost between $5000-$7500!!!!!! I will never buy another Dodge! We ran a CarFax report and there were no problems. It has had regular maintaince and oil changes. The Dodge intrepid recieves a "9" for looks but a "0" for overall reliabilty! By the way there is a 99 that looks exactly like ours with the same engine in the trading post with the same problem, a bad engine!!!

Perfection
By Jerry Benson on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

What can I say? After 124000 miles, I am totally satisfied. Still drives like new, and because of the superior exterior styling, still looks like new.

A mistake I'm stuck with!
By BCmickey on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I fell immediatly in love with it. The seats were comfortable, the car drove great. Everything about it was just what I always wanted. Until I got it home. So far it has died on a off ramp of a highway after the cruise control kicked in automatically and i couldn't stop the car, I took the next exit off the highway and it died. That was the relay sensor.we had to bring it in twice for that problem. Then we were at a gas station, and once in our driveway when the car died. We had to join AAA just to get this car towed to the dealership these two times was due to the battery terminal being corroded. and just resently The car died again, same thing.

LikeMyIntrepid
By Roger on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

For what it is, the Dodge Intrepid is a very good car. It has more room than anything else in its price range and looks very sporty for a family car. The gas mileage is good and I have had no problems at all with it mechanically in the 15 months I have owned it.

Dodge Intrepid
By Dodge98Intrepid on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

It's slow. It's loud inside, the noise coming from the floor and the top of the car is horrific. Never buy a base car again!!! Spend the extra dough and try to get the ES version or R/T.

Never again
By T J T on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I love the look of this car and really enjoy driving it....when it works. The great looks are more than offset by the significant quality issues I've had since the day I purchased it. First it was electrical problems (which have continued to this day) such as all dash lights going out and the overhead console lights going out. Then the car just doesn't start at least once per year. And now the heat cuts out and the car overheats. All I can say is never again! I'll never buy a Chrysler product again.

I'm buying another one!
By KarlP on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Had to buy a used car with high mileage because it was all I could afford. It had 70,000 on it and 2 years later I have 130,000 on it. I put a set of tires on it at Wal-Mart (could not afford another set of Good year Eagles because they don't wear very well). At 100,000 I took it to the dealer and had them change the spark plugs like the manual recommends. All other routine maintenance was done by me, oil and air filters, PCV and brakes etc. NO major repairs needed! The 200 hp motor has plenty of power and gets 30 mpg when cruising at 70! Trading it on a 2001 next week.

Goody's Intrepid
By goody03 on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

sweet car! it is very fun to drive. i am goin to be a dodge boy forever.