Used 1998 Dodge Intrepid Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Disappointed
By Disappointed

1998 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 98 intrepid and the dealership checked it out and said it was in perfect condition. Within 2 weeks the alternator went out and now the body shop is telling me to prepare for a new tranny!!! I only paid 5,000 for the car and as of now it is costing me an additional 4,000. I was warned to never buy a dodge I just wished i had listened

Favorite Features

The body is flawless and the stero system is wonderful

Suggested Improvements

Better system for the cupholders and a bigger side console. More leg room for the back seat would be wonderful

Quality Ride
By marty

1998 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

First new car I'd ever owned, happy that it was this choice. Pretty decent car for the first completely built by computer. Gets around good in all kinds of weather conditions. Even though it's the 2.7 standard model, the power is still there when you need it, and the comfort is there all of the time. At almost 50,000 miles, I am hoping to have a long, continued contentment with this car. I love the looks of it so, that I still baby it, and park it out in the back 40s so it won't get scratched. I have taken good care of this car, and it has taken good care of me in return.

Favorite Features

Roominess, power, controls accessibility

Suggested Improvements

Road noise (really needs good rubber under it), factory radio has shorts in the wiring, front end scrapes when you go over too much of an incline on a driveway (clearance issue)

May, 2007
By Nancy Davis

1998 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car! It has been very reliable with no big repair problems. I have put two new starters on it and it is using about a quart of oil /1000 miles. The mileage is 20 mpg in town and on the road. It rides with a soft ride and is easy to drive. It has no big problems that I know of. The color makes it look classy and the style of the body is very sporty. I just want a newer car with dependability--or I would keep it!

Favorite Features

It looks sporty and I love to drive it! It has a good radio, console is comfortable and the seats fit well.

Suggested Improvements

That it be new! That it get better mileage.

Worst Vehicle I've Owned
By Terry Buckner

1998 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. The second Dodge product and the last one! The engine died at 92,000 and a replacement one is 5-6k. The entire car isn't worth that! The 2.7 liter engine is horrible. Needless to say this one needs to be junked!

Overall decent
By joe

1998 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

Fast enough to get you a hefty speeding ticket but not fast enough to outrun a police cruiser! This car is quite good if you take care of it. Yes it doesn't run like a $50000 luxury model but what did you expect? Good value for a large car. Ask around your town for opinions about local dealers, I've had good service where I've bought it but bad experiences with the ability of other dealerships to perform maintenance when I'm out of town,

Favorite Features

Good capacity, comfortable, fast. 7 years old and still looks sporty. Getting more than 200~225 horsepower is a bit unnecessary unless you plan to race. Much, much better than previous Ford products I owned.

Suggested Improvements

Like other reviewers I agree that the brake rotors need to be serviced frequently, road noise is louder than expected, and the paint gets chipped on the hood.