1998 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Disappointed
By Disappointed on 03/21/09 18:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 98 intrepid and the dealership checked it out and said it was in perfect condition. Within 2 weeks the alternator went out and now the body shop is telling me to prepare for a new tranny!!! I only paid 5,000 for the car and as of now it is costing me an additional 4,000. I was warned to never buy a dodge I just wished i had listened

Quality Ride
By marty on 04/03/08 00:03 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

First new car I'd ever owned, happy that it was this choice. Pretty decent car for the first completely built by computer. Gets around good in all kinds of weather conditions. Even though it's the 2.7 standard model, the power is still there when you need it, and the comfort is there all of the time. At almost 50,000 miles, I am hoping to have a long, continued contentment with this car. I love the looks of it so, that I still baby it, and park it out in the back 40s so it won't get scratched. I have taken good care of this car, and it has taken good care of me in return.

May, 2007
By Nancy Davis on 05/30/07 12:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I love this car! It has been very reliable with no big repair problems. I have put two new starters on it and it is using about a quart of oil /1000 miles. The mileage is 20 mpg in town and on the road. It rides with a soft ride and is easy to drive. It has no big problems that I know of. The color makes it look classy and the style of the body is very sporty. I just want a newer car with dependability--or I would keep it!

Worst Vehicle I've Owned
By Terry Buckner on 02/18/07 17:59 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

This was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. The second Dodge product and the last one! The engine died at 92,000 and a replacement one is 5-6k. The entire car isn't worth that! The 2.7 liter engine is horrible. Needless to say this one needs to be junked!

Overall decent
By joe on 10/10/05 18:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Fast enough to get you a hefty speeding ticket but not fast enough to outrun a police cruiser! This car is quite good if you take care of it. Yes it doesn't run like a $50000 luxury model but what did you expect? Good value for a large car. Ask around your town for opinions about local dealers, I've had good service where I've bought it but bad experiences with the ability of other dealerships to perform maintenance when I'm out of town,

Intrepid- well maintained
By Randy on 06/03/05 18:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

With synthetic oil and transmission fluid this car served me well for seven years. Problems seen with this vehicle are generally due to following the recommended oil change schedule. 7000 miles is too long for normal oil and will get you sludge buildup. I had no sludge with synthetic oil. It still looks good and goes reasonably fast.

Love My Intrepid
By Erin Barnette on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I didn't like the way the intrepid looked at first, but I test drove it off the lot, and feel in love with how well it handled. I drive in a lot of heavy traffic so I need power to get on the highways, and great brakes. This car has gone well behond my expectations of it. I would buy another one but my inprepid is still running just as good as when I bought it. For people with children, this car has plenty of room in the trunk for all that comes with having a child. I can fit two large strollers, and all my groceries with still plenty of room. I would tell anybody to consider the Dodge Intrepid. Mine has been a wonderful vehicle.

Never again
By jackcat on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

We bought our Intrepid in 98 with 26k miles. Having all family out of state, we put a lot of miles on our vehicles. This car had nothing but strange problems - the tensioner when out at 70k, starter at 36k, oil sending unit wiring harness at 96k, AC condenser and cooling fan motor at 99k. Two weeks ago, at 102k, the engine caught fire in our driveway. Insurance is calling it a total loss. We must admit that after all the problems, we weren't surprised by the spontaneous combustion and are quietly relieved to be free of this car. Both of us come from Chrysler product families. Never again. This one nearly cost us our home.

Intrepid is only great for three years
By emm on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

We got suckered into a five year lease when we wanted a three year. The car was fantastic for 3 and a half years. Thank goodness we have an extended warranty because since then the car has been on a flatbed at least twice a year with major problems. This past month the car was at the dealership for two straight weeks while a part was on back order. Again, my car is in the dealership and they want to charge me $275 for a bad battery and terminal-it isn't covered under the warranty. No wonder the Intrepid is listed by Consumer Reports as one of the worst cars to buy used!!!

NOTHING BUT TROUBLE
By BERNAMANSO on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

THE SAME DAY I BOUGHT MY CAR THE OIL LIGHT CAME ON! THROUGH THE NEXT 2MONTHS THE TRANSMISSION HAD TO BE REPLACED.THEN A ALTERNATOR/POWER STEARING PULLEY!!. WOULD'NT BUY ANOTHER OR TAKE ONE GIVEN TO ME.