1997 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Watch out for power steering

1997 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Review

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

ES Sedan (3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Watch out for power steering problems
By johng on

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with about 60,000 miles on it. I LOVED the car but never expected to have to suddenly replace the entire steering system for $1,600. Still love the car and it gets great gas mileage despite the optional 24 valve 3.5 liter engine. I'm getting 23 or 24 mph on the highway. POTENTIAL BUYERS: this car is reportedly notorious for power steering going out and taking rack & pinion unit with it. Mine went out at 70,000 miles, and my freind with a 1998 Intrepid had EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE, costing him about $1,600. The power steering seems to be undersized or something, but is great in every other way.

Favorite Features

Comfort, handling, power, radio (tuning and volume control KNOBS on radio (instead of up/down buttons that no one can see while they're driving) I know it's a little thing, but I love it.

Suggested Improvements

Too little assist in power steering. It's a problem for my wife in parking lots. Trunk lid supports come down well into the trunk area, rendering part of the trunk area unusable if it's full.