Used 1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

1997 Dodge Intrepid
By Debbie Eubank

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought the 1997 Intrepid for my teen. She learned to drive in this car. I felt that it was very safe for her. I bought the car from a neighbor who had kept it in the garage so the paint was in mint condition. The Intrepid has been reliable and is a very comfortable ride. It has quick acceleration and power. It is a great car for road trips and handles well. It is not economical on gas because it has a 3.5 liter engine. It definitely has the power when you need it. Have never had any major mechanical problems with the Intrepid.

Roominess, leg room, wide seats, large backseat, huge trunk.

None!

My "Bessie"
By evelyn

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

"Bessie" has been a great car. Through all the trials and tribulations she has been reliable and truly "intrepid."

Roomy interior, lots of pep, reliability

Better headlamps

Car
By Chris

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 42,000 miles on it and I was the second owner. This car has been a pile of junk since day one. I have had all kinds of problems with it and only get about 19 mpg. It now has 104,000 miles on it and I have to get rid of it because it is making me go broke.

Good power when running properly.

Rear seats need to fold down. Gas mileage needs to improve.

Unreliable
By Kendall

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I owned the car for 3 months and in those three months it overheated, didn't start due to a computer issue, needed $700 worth of front end work (a major issue with all Intrepids according to my mechanic), needed new tires and alignment, and to top the cake, the transmission went (yet another popular issue with Intrepids). I spent another $1700 on rebuilding the engine. You tell me how my experience with the Intrepid was.

Stereo and acceleration

Better transmission and front end parts.

Chrysler rocks!
By newharmony7

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This is the second car I have ever owned. My first was a Chrysler Concorde, and I loved that car. Figuring that the cars would be similar, and knowing that my Mom had no trouble with her Intrepid when she bought it new until the day the engine died, I knew I wanted another Concorde or an Intrepid. I find that this car has some slight electrical problems, but nothing that will stop it from running steady and strong even after sitting in campus parking all week without running. I love my Intrepid and I would recommend it to anyone who needs a car and wants one that will be decently affordable and very reliable.

The electric driver's seat is a favorite part of mine. The seats are generally quite comfortable, except if you have to sit in them for extended periods of time (say 7 hours or more). Everything is central and within reach. The rear heating panels are excellent for cold winter days with passengers!

My vehicle has an issue with the visor clips. They both broke within a week of purchase, and shortly thereafter, one of the knobs on the heating system fell off. These are minor parts though, and I don't mind going to the junkyard for them. Also, with my car, the volume knob is touchy.