1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Dependable & handles deep snow well.
By Pat Lytle on 07/12/06 09:37 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I live in Alaska, outside of town with a long uphill driveway. My Intrepid has pushed through snow many times to get me to town. I have had 4WD pickups & SUV's that have not handled as well. I get about 25 MPG, and have not had any major repairs to contend with. The car now has over 150,000 miles on it and burns no oil or has any problems. My teenage daughter, who is a careful driver, is buying it from me for her first car. With dual airbags and how well it handles icy roads, I trust this car to keep her on the road, regardless of the contions. As for my next car, I think I need another Intrepid!

Intrepid 97
By azurleigh on 05/13/06 17:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I find the seats uncomfortable and the split seat where the arm rest is to be quite annoying. Items places on the seat in that area always slide through to the back of the car. The front door is quite difficult to close forcing the driver to grab the pocket to pull the door closed. Headlights are also not as bright as I would like.

Great Car
By treplover on 02/12/06 13:09 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I know all the ins and outs of this car. I now have over 200,000 miles on mine and the only problem I've had is the waterpump going, thermostat, and the timing belt (both expected on any car with that mileage). Other than that only tires brakes and a new battery and I was good to go. Never afraid to take it on a long haul. Bought the car new in '97 and it's been the best investment I've ever made. I have to put this car at the top of it's class in all aspects. Great sporty, reliable, family car. I would highly reccoment this car to anyone considering. You just have to treat it well and it will return the favor to you!

Reliable Family Car
By Al_in_OK on 01/30/06 13:13 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car! With normal maintenance this car has been wonderful for our family and the many 700+ mile trips we used it for. We are the 2nd owner (1st was a rental company who put 25K mi on it). I average only 22 MPG, which is lower than others claim. Car is most bang for your buck for a full sized car. This car "floats" down the highway, making for a relaxing drive anywhere you want to go.

Great Car
By metrostreet on 01/05/06 21:43 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just bought my Intrepid and was very happy with the performance. I have the 3.5 v6 and it is a great car. Well balanced comfort and speed. A good sporty look and great reliability. Recomend it to everyone. 30MPG!

One of the most underrated sedans
By Dodge8 on 08/27/05 17:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car to replace my piece of junk 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera. This Intrepid has done more than impress me. I am getting 27 to 29 mpg with city/highway and 32 mpg with the optional 3.5l 24 valve SOHC V6 that was only rated at 26 mpg! I have almost 127,000 miles on the original motor and transmission and they both behave as though they have at least another 75,000 miles left on them. I have had to replace a intake and some other gasket on it but beyond that, it is been trouble free.

Best Car I've ever had!
By Amelia on 03/21/05 08:48 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

Truly the best car I've owned in terms of reliability, handling, gas mileage to engine size ratio, and cargo/trunk capacity. Feels like a luxury sedan, but handles like a Nascar. Hard to shake loose on the turns, just hangs in there and remains stable. I plan to drive this one till the wheels fall off and they MAKE me go get something else!

Great Big Car
By Interpitor on 02/25/05 00:23 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first Dodge product out of 24 vehicles I have owned and can say I am plesantly suprized.... Tons of Interior room, Fantastic highway gas mileage and feels like you have a car under you when you drive it... I highly recommend this car... I have had no major problems other then 2 Oxygen sensors needing replacement... they are a bit costly but not a problem... They are easy to find so you can be selective and get them for really good prices... The exterior styling looks good and doesn't seem to be dated... I have the 3.3L which is a great and SIMPLE engine

Great Big Car
By Interpitor on 02/25/05 00:23 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first Dodge product out of 24 vehicles I have owned and can say I am plesantly suprised.... Tons of Interior room, Fantastic highway gas mileage and feels like you have a car under you when you drive it... I highly recommend this car... I have had no major problems other then 2 oxygen sensors needing replacement... they are a bit costly but not a problem... They are easy to find so you can be selective and get them for really good prices... The exterior styling looks good and doesn't seem to be dated... I have the 3.3L which is a great and SIMPLE engine

Good safe car!
By mel on 02/21/05 14:03 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new, very few problems. We did regular maintenance, and it took care of us. Air conditioning went out early, however was covered under warranty. We handed the car down to our daughters for their use. My 21 year old had a hard rollover accident recently with the car (slippery roads). I was very gratefull that I saw her before I saw the car, as she suffered a broken collar bone. When I saw the car, I did not recognize the vehicle as ours. I thought the top was cut off, but it was pushed down that far! I am not at all certain that my daughter would have faired as well in a lesser car...Thank God the Intrepid held up the way it did.