1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan Consumer Reviews 3

1997 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

1997 Intrepid Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Rating
Dependable & handles deep snow well.
By Pat Lytle

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I live in Alaska, outside of town with a long uphill driveway. My Intrepid has pushed through snow many times to get me to town. I have had 4WD pickups & SUV's that have not handled as well. I get about 25 MPG, and have not had any major repairs to contend with. The car now has over 150,000 miles on it and burns no oil or has any problems. My teenage daughter, who is a careful driver, is buying it from me for her first car. With dual airbags and how well it handles icy roads, I trust this car to keep her on the road, regardless of the contions. As for my next car, I think I need another Intrepid!

Favorite Features

Handling, dependablity, comfort, style

Suggested Improvements

Front of car sits too low and often scrapes when exitting driveways with a dip or parking curbs.

Intrepid 97
By azurleigh

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I find the seats uncomfortable and the split seat where the arm rest is to be quite annoying. Items places on the seat in that area always slide through to the back of the car. The front door is quite difficult to close forcing the driver to grab the pocket to pull the door closed. Headlights are also not as bright as I would like.

Favorite Features

Mileage is good.

Suggested Improvements

Better door closing of front doors. Better design of arm rests between the front seats.

Great Car
By treplover

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I know all the ins and outs of this car. I now have over 200,000 miles on mine and the only problem I've had is the waterpump going, thermostat, and the timing belt (both expected on any car with that mileage). Other than that only tires brakes and a new battery and I was good to go. Never afraid to take it on a long haul. Bought the car new in '97 and it's been the best investment I've ever made. I have to put this car at the top of it's class in all aspects. Great sporty, reliable, family car. I would highly reccoment this car to anyone considering. You just have to treat it well and it will return the favor to you!

Favorite Features

Looks, preformance, reliability, fuel economy (I average 27-28 mpg w/3.5L and 200,000 miles)

Suggested Improvements

Would not change a thing about this car!

Reliable Family Car
By Al_in_OK

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car! With normal maintenance this car has been wonderful for our family and the many 700+ mile trips we used it for. We are the 2nd owner (1st was a rental company who put 25K mi on it). I average only 22 MPG, which is lower than others claim. Car is most bang for your buck for a full sized car. This car "floats" down the highway, making for a relaxing drive anywhere you want to go.

Favorite Features

Strong engine and acceleration. Roomy interior. Good handling and quiet road noise.

Suggested Improvements

Back seats need to fold down for expanded trunk space.

Great Car
By metrostreet

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just bought my Intrepid and was very happy with the performance. I have the 3.5 v6 and it is a great car. Well balanced comfort and speed. A good sporty look and great reliability. Recomend it to everyone. 30MPG!

Favorite Features

3.5 V6 and suspension

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts a little hard at higher RPM.

One of the most underrated sedans
By Dodge8

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car to replace my piece of junk 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera. This Intrepid has done more than impress me. I am getting 27 to 29 mpg with city/highway and 32 mpg with the optional 3.5l 24 valve SOHC V6 that was only rated at 26 mpg! I have almost 127,000 miles on the original motor and transmission and they both behave as though they have at least another 75,000 miles left on them. I have had to replace a intake and some other gasket on it but beyond that, it is been trouble free.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, acceleration that beats V6 Mustangs and Cameros, comfortable size, looks like a four door Viper from the front, great sound system, interior does not feel cheap, the one touch cup holders, white faced gauges, smooth shifting transmission, doesn't have the annoying "big car" driving feel

Suggested Improvements

Make the autostick standard for all Chrysler products, offer the 3.5l in more cars than just the LX(Magnum, Charger, 300) and LH platforms (Intrepid, 300M/Vision, Concorde, LHS) like the Stratus/Sebring & minivans, offer larger base engines (3.8 instead of 3.3), high-speed axles for even better mpg.

Best Car I've ever had!
By Amelia

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

Truly the best car I've owned in terms of reliability, handling, gas mileage to engine size ratio, and cargo/trunk capacity. Feels like a luxury sedan, but handles like a Nascar. Hard to shake loose on the turns, just hangs in there and remains stable. I plan to drive this one till the wheels fall off and they MAKE me go get something else!

Favorite Features

Between seats armrests with cup holders. No lag between hitting the gas and going. Low center of gravity and handling on curves. LARGE trunk space, can pack a weekend worth of camping gear, plus firewood, in there!

Suggested Improvements

NONE!

Great Big Car
By Interpitor

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first Dodge product out of 24 vehicles I have owned and can say I am plesantly suprized.... Tons of Interior room, Fantastic highway gas mileage and feels like you have a car under you when you drive it... I highly recommend this car... I have had no major problems other then 2 Oxygen sensors needing replacement... they are a bit costly but not a problem... They are easy to find so you can be selective and get them for really good prices... The exterior styling looks good and doesn't seem to be dated... I have the 3.3L which is a great and SIMPLE engine

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Poor headlights... some interior parts have a cheap plastic feel

Great Big Car
By Interpitor

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first Dodge product out of 24 vehicles I have owned and can say I am plesantly suprised.... Tons of Interior room, Fantastic highway gas mileage and feels like you have a car under you when you drive it... I highly recommend this car... I have had no major problems other then 2 oxygen sensors needing replacement... they are a bit costly but not a problem... They are easy to find so you can be selective and get them for really good prices... The exterior styling looks good and doesn't seem to be dated... I have the 3.3L which is a great and SIMPLE engine

Favorite Features

Interior Room is fantastic as well as the trunk.... Handles great in corners... smooth shifting transmission... highway gas mileage 36MPG

Suggested Improvements

Poor headlights... some interior parts have a cheap plastic feel

Good safe car!
By mel

1997 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new, very few problems. We did regular maintenance, and it took care of us. Air conditioning went out early, however was covered under warranty. We handed the car down to our daughters for their use. My 21 year old had a hard rollover accident recently with the car (slippery roads). I was very gratefull that I saw her before I saw the car, as she suffered a broken collar bone. When I saw the car, I did not recognize the vehicle as ours. I thought the top was cut off, but it was pushed down that far! I am not at all certain that my daughter would have faired as well in a lesser car...Thank God the Intrepid held up the way it did.

Favorite Features

Crash test results...personal tests!