1997 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
My Intrepid Rocks
By doctorsib on 06/30/11 10:12 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Dodge Intrepid was my first car...I bought it for $2,000 and I've had it for about 4 years. It just hit 200k miles and is still going strong! This car is fantastic...it's fast enough (at least mine is) to keep up with other newer, sportier cars, has great handling, is a tank (some idiot sideswiped me when I was going about 35 mph...his whole bumper came off, and I got a little dent in my door), and is even decent in the snow and in icy conditions! I've had to invest very little into the upkeep, replacing less than $1,000 worth of parts in the entire time I've had it, excluding the cost of tires and oil changes. Extraordinarily reliable...=)

Not too bad
By DarkSixAlpha on 10/12/09 08:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this car off a little old lady who had already bought her a newer intrepid and was getting rid of her old one. Took it to her mechanic and let him explain everything he ever did for the vehicle. Major things already replaced such as Water pump, timing belt. Bought newer tires for it, had to eventually buy tie rod ends and control arms due to the fact the ball joints are pressed into the control arm. Replaced wires, plugs, an O2 Sensor, stereo with aftermarket stereo, speakers, tinted the windows, and everything is great. Just wish the car would have came with alloys instead of the steel wheel but all in all, it could be alot worse. 175,255 and still going strong!!

My Second One
By HotTopMan on 10/24/08 14:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

This is my second ES AUTOSTICK, and like the first one I love it. Great car, no problems. Made to take the abuse. Just minor repairs, like any other car. People do not remember that you do have to replace parts they wear out eventually. I have 196,000 on it now and it is going strong. Still as powerful as a new car. One suggestion to people, this is not a good car for a first time drive, too much power, too large.

The ES!
By zinger69 on 06/15/08 11:29 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 5 years now. It had 50,000 miles on it when I bought it. It now has over 150,000 miles on it as of today. I have had to replace a few things here and there, radiator, thermostat, ball joints, but the exterior and interior are still in great shape and the engine is still purring. I will drive it till it dies.

Amazing Intrepid
By Amazing Car on 05/17/08 20:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 8 years, I have 184,000 miles on it, general maintenance kept it in great shape. My wife had a couple fender benders, still runs like a champ. I would recommend this car to anyone. I had the cloth taken out and leather installed. I still get about 22 mpg around town, and it is as classy as anything new I have driven, and it can still jump off the line.

The best car I have ever owned!
By KATRINA on 05/05/08 15:55 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my car 3 years ago and it has been excellent. No problems at all. My car is the sport addition with the slap shifter, which is rare. It only had one owner prior to my buying and it only had 57,000 miles on it. I have never been stranded. It has never let me down. I have made several trips to Texas. A 600 round trip. The best car I would recommend it to anyone.

1997 Dodge Intrepid
By Debbie Eubank on 04/26/07 06:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I bought the 1997 Intrepid for my teen. She learned to drive in this car. I felt that it was very safe for her. I bought the car from a neighbor who had kept it in the garage so the paint was in mint condition. The Intrepid has been reliable and is a very comfortable ride. It has quick acceleration and power. It is a great car for road trips and handles well. It is not economical on gas because it has a 3.5 liter engine. It definitely has the power when you need it. Have never had any major mechanical problems with the Intrepid.

Unreliable
By Kendall on 11/15/06 10:38 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I owned the car for 3 months and in those three months it overheated, didn't start due to a computer issue, needed $700 worth of front end work (a major issue with all Intrepids according to my mechanic), needed new tires and alignment, and to top the cake, the transmission went (yet another popular issue with Intrepids). I spent another $1700 on rebuilding the engine. You tell me how my experience with the Intrepid was.

Chrysler rocks!
By newharmony7 on 11/07/06 12:42 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

This is the second car I have ever owned. My first was a Chrysler Concorde, and I loved that car. Figuring that the cars would be similar, and knowing that my Mom had no trouble with her Intrepid when she bought it new until the day the engine died, I knew I wanted another Concorde or an Intrepid. I find that this car has some slight electrical problems, but nothing that will stop it from running steady and strong even after sitting in campus parking all week without running. I love my Intrepid and I would recommend it to anyone who needs a car and wants one that will be decently affordable and very reliable.

Intrepid 97
By azurleigh on 05/13/06 17:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I find the seats uncomfortable and the split seat where the arm rest is to be quite annoying. Items places on the seat in that area always slide through to the back of the car. The front door is quite difficult to close forcing the driver to grab the pocket to pull the door closed. Headlights are also not as bright as I would like.