Used 1997 Dodge Intrepid ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

1997 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

My Intrepid Rocks
By doctorsib

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Dodge Intrepid was my first car...I bought it for $2,000 and I've had it for about 4 years. It just hit 200k miles and is still going strong! This car is fantastic...it's fast enough (at least mine is) to keep up with other newer, sportier cars, has great handling, is a tank (some idiot sideswiped me when I was going about 35 mph...his whole bumper came off, and I got a little dent in my door), and is even decent in the snow and in icy conditions! I've had to invest very little into the upkeep, replacing less than $1,000 worth of parts in the entire time I've had it, excluding the cost of tires and oil changes. Extraordinarily reliable...=)

Favorite Features

Acceleration, Decent gas mileage for the size, Handling, Comfort, Cheap maintenance and an engine that isn't crammed with random crap

Suggested Improvements

The paint on this year is terrible...I have about half of my paint left, and I've seen MANY other Intrepids on the road with the same problem. Mine also has a couple sensor and electrical problems that started very early on...not really a problem, just kind of annoying.

Not too bad
By DarkSixAlpha

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this car off a little old lady who had already bought her a newer intrepid and was getting rid of her old one. Took it to her mechanic and let him explain everything he ever did for the vehicle. Major things already replaced such as Water pump, timing belt. Bought newer tires for it, had to eventually buy tie rod ends and control arms due to the fact the ball joints are pressed into the control arm. Replaced wires, plugs, an O2 Sensor, stereo with aftermarket stereo, speakers, tinted the windows, and everything is great. Just wish the car would have came with alloys instead of the steel wheel but all in all, it could be alot worse. 175,255 and still going strong!!

Favorite Features

Console Shifter, easily maintained.

Suggested Improvements

Alloy rims on all models save Base. Cup holders could use improvement.

My Second One
By HotTopMan

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

This is my second ES AUTOSTICK, and like the first one I love it. Great car, no problems. Made to take the abuse. Just minor repairs, like any other car. People do not remember that you do have to replace parts they wear out eventually. I have 196,000 on it now and it is going strong. Still as powerful as a new car. One suggestion to people, this is not a good car for a first time drive, too much power, too large.

The ES!
By zinger69

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 5 years now. It had 50,000 miles on it when I bought it. It now has over 150,000 miles on it as of today. I have had to replace a few things here and there, radiator, thermostat, ball joints, but the exterior and interior are still in great shape and the engine is still purring. I will drive it till it dies.

Favorite Features

Fog Lamps Keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

Extra center hub caps!! I lose those things all the time.

Amazing Intrepid
By Amazing Car

1997 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 8 years, I have 184,000 miles on it, general maintenance kept it in great shape. My wife had a couple fender benders, still runs like a champ. I would recommend this car to anyone. I had the cloth taken out and leather installed. I still get about 22 mpg around town, and it is as classy as anything new I have driven, and it can still jump off the line.

Favorite Features

Stereo, dual front elect seats, 3.5L engine rocks!

Suggested Improvements

Visor clips - I have to replace one about every 6 months - what a pain, otherwise I love it!