1996 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Disappointed
By Bartender10 on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I have been disappointed with my '96 Intrepid ES. Purchased new. Water pump went out 300 miles before the warranty expired (fortunately for me). Have had trouble with factory radio/CD player not working. Bushings have failed on the rack and pinion steering box (expensive and impossible to get to). Spent a lot of time/money trying to solve a driveability problem - turned out to be an intake manifold gasket leak. Paint is fading badly on the top and it has completely flaked off the side window mouldings. Body intregrity is less than acceptable. I don't think that I will ever pay $25K+ for a new Dodge again.

it is a good car
By msparent on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I would buy another one

53000+ miles on dodge intrepid96I have t
By intrepidone on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I have 53000+ miles on this car and I enjoy driving it because, it has very good acceleration, solid rode feel, body seems all together and well built. The only thing I do not like is the road wind noise and tire noise over bumps. You can feel the road , like old pavement that is pitted, versus new pavement. Other than that I think I have had good luck with the car. I am getting a new a/c compressor put in , the first one. I had the a/c charged once in the last 7 years. I had one battery installed, and a water pump. I also had two new tires put on about 10/15000 miles ago, but , the other two are still good.

Never again
By Pic on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Never again will I own a Dodge. My car was a pre-owned but had less than 30,000 miles. Since I've purchased my car in 1998 I’ve replaced the water pump twice. New breaks, new ignition, new computer, etc, etc. Every time I turn around I’m spending money on it. Last summer the air conditioner started making noise but since I was out of work I just went without air. Now the heater is making a strange noise. Plus everything rattles and the dash is warping where the air bag is. Someone please take this lemon off my hands.

INTREPID ES V6 3.5
By AHMED ELHAJ on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

VERY SOLID CAR THE V6 3.5 IS A THIRSTY ENGINE BUT THE PERFORMANC IS ALL WORTH IT IT HAS A VERY SLEEK LOOK FOR BUSSINESS OR A NIGHT OUT IN THE CITY

The Dodge Intrepid
By Naty on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

My 96' Intrepid is a wonderful vehicle.Very smooth ride,thanks to its powerful 6 cylinder engine and smooth transmission.It boasts a comfortable interior,very spacious.The fuel efficiency is top notch.I highly recommend this car if youre in the market for a reliable,comfortable,and luxurious sedan.

You must be Intrepid to drive it!
By Lady Mopar on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Have driven Chrysler products my whole life. Never found one I didn't love until now. Paid just over $7000 for it three yrs ago with 54K on it in very nice condition, now at 87K and have had to spend over half the purchase price in repairs. Brakes (ABS) and rotors replaced twice,water pump,completely reconstructed the front end to the tune of $3000 this year, replaced cam shaft and crank shaft sensors. A/C repaired and still doesn't work. It's pretty to look at, but drive doesn't equal love.

Not bad for cheap!
By OK on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

A/C is junk. Not worth fixing when it dies - which it will. Otherwise, mechanically ok.

some problems
By Dan69St on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

well I have put about 13,000 miles on it since April when I bought it and I have been having some problems. I Put in a new wheel bearing, now I have an overheating problem and I am not sure what all it is. I changed the thermostat, the water pump and still no relief of the temp. Flushed the radiator and everything. There is no sign of a blown Head gasket or a cracked block. But besides that the car was running great no other complaints besides.

Excellent all-around vehicle
By jbrooks on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

This car was fun to drive, looked sharp, was very dependable, and had most of the creature comforts and extras. It was roomy and could haul my entire drum set, and it could provide ample leg room and comfort for passengers in both front and back. It was also a good value as used car - you get a lot of bang for your buck when buying one of these. I got the car with just under 70,000 miles on it. Repairs were minimal up until the car started getting over 100,000 miles on it. When I sold it, it had 120,000 miles on it and was still running like the day when I bought it.