1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan Consumer Reviews 2

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
old faithful
By Lady Luck on 10/27/08 08:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

We got this car off a 2 year lease return in 1998, and I'm still driving it. We have had absolutely no major problems with this car up until recently, and it's almost 13 years old, and has over 150k. Up until the car went over 100k, it was nothing but oil changes, brakes and tires for this car, plus one timing chain change. After that small stuff started to go bad I can't say anything bad about this car up until now. Accelerates nicely, is comfortable, especially for a tall girl like me. The trans is going bad now, and I'm still deciding on replacing it or getting something else. I really do love this car.

Probably wouldn't buy another
By J K on 09/17/08 16:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

The good things: Roomy, handles well for size, no absolutely major break downs. Perfect alignment despite crashing it. Pretty tough in crashes. Bad things: Had to replace steering rack at 66,000 miles. Has always had a very slow oil leak. Head lights dim due to excessive oxidation. Moisture in headlight housing. Does not maneuver well when parallel parking. LOTS of blind spots. Fishtails easily at speeds over 65 mph. Transmission shifts roughly sometimes. Breaks wear quickly. Has 3.3 L engine but won't due over 50 mph uphill on the freeway. Some Intrepids of various years have had major mechanic failure of the steering system. I feel the car has too much wear for the amount I drive it.

More time in shop
By hammerdrop64 on 05/16/08 20:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

About 15 days after I bought this car, the check engine light came on. I had to replace the EGR valve. Four days after that, I had to change the valve cover gaskets, it was leaking oil on the exhaust manifold. Two weeks after that was the worst problem, a bent valve. It would stick at times. I didn't won't to spend the money to have the heads reworked. Also, Dodge seems to have cheap plastics, especially on interior parts. I had this car about six weeks. I sold it for $800, I won't get another one.

Won't buy another one
By jfreeman on 05/14/08 10:39 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used. Plastic parts breaks easily. Engine had a number of problems, the worst was a bent valve. check eng. light stays on. leaked oil from valve covers. and had to replace the EGR valve, $370 at dealer. All of this in a 45 day period.

Unconditional Love
By Joe's Intrepid on 03/17/08 10:09 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Intrepid at the beginning of last summer. $500! It had 142k miles, I thought I'd hang on to it as a backup/work car. I ended up selling my LeSabre instead. This is a great car. My only problem to date is I had to replace the water pump an a belt. But overall, WONDERFUL CAR! She now has over 185k and feels brand new. I just finished installing 2000 watts of subwoofer in the trunk... love the car, you should get one if you have the means.

Not a Safe Car!
By Marc H on 03/09/08 16:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan 4dr Sedan

I may have only had this car for a year, but since then I have experienced a broken inner left tie rout and outer right tie rod. The inner left one broke and made it impossible to steer while going around the corner. The transmission is absolute garbage and has a rough 2-1 downshift. The oilpan is almost rusted through. Car has gone though a set of brand new front tires within 25,000km, with no alignment issues. Engine overheats periodically, and there has been a mysterious check engine light for about 3 months now. I'll be honest with you, this car may have been wrecked before I even bought it. But many of these problems are far too serious to be blamed simply on abuse or negligence!

Great vehicle and fun to drive
By jaeggergs on 11/17/07 09:23 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle as a demo with 5200 miles on it. It has been one of the best reliable, dependable vehicles I've ever owned. Love the performance of the vehicle. Hugs corners with Pirelli's. I have 187,000 miles on the vehicle. Replaced the engine, rebuilt the tranny & it still runs like a dream. Front end now goes about every 2 years. About $800. to repair. Having a hard time letting this vehicle go. Prefer driving it in bad weather over my SUV. Don't like the black "paper" between front & back doors as it peels off. That's the worst I can say about this vehicle. Only stuck once and that's when the engine went with no warning. This vehicle owes me nothing. Would recommend to anyone

Wonderful Car
By luvmydodge on 11/07/07 19:55 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Overall this is a great car. I bought it with 60k miles on it and I finally had to let it go. I sold it because the transmission finally went out but this was after 280k miles. That was the only mechanical problem with this car.

Give it up
By kevin on 12/13/06 15:31 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This was my wife's car. She bought it brand new. She would not part with it even after it started having problems. After 10 years we have replaced the tie rods twice, the air conditioner compressor, had it painted, replaced the serpetine belt twice, the water pump three times, struts, tires several times more than we should have due to the tie rods. The motor after was finally replaced last year because the oil sending unit and pump went out and we could put a new engine in from a wrecked one cheaper than we could fix the oil pump problems. The car rides great, just not very mechannicaly sound. Also the door gaskets kept falling off.

Not bad so far
By Bartbilt on 11/19/06 14:32 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Good reliability and MPG, up to 30mpg on highway witht the 3.3 V6. No transmission problems. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of leg room, even with the console shifter. A\C broke and I have no intentions of fixing it. Currently have 147,000 miles on it with a few oil leaks. Handles well in the snow. I inherited the car from my wife and use it mainly to commute to work, 50 miles per day. Exterior is holding up well with regular washes and yearly waxing. Black exterior trim pieces are peeling. Also, lost two of the four center hubcaps on the wheels. Noticed that most others with the same wheels are missing some or all of the hubcabs. Wanting to see how many miles this thing will go.