Used 1996 Dodge Intrepid ES Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

More time in shop
By hammerdrop64

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

About 15 days after I bought this car, the check engine light came on. I had to replace the EGR valve. Four days after that, I had to change the valve cover gaskets, it was leaking oil on the exhaust manifold. Two weeks after that was the worst problem, a bent valve. It would stick at times. I didn't won't to spend the money to have the heads reworked. Also, Dodge seems to have cheap plastics, especially on interior parts. I had this car about six weeks. I sold it for $800, I won't get another one.

Favorite Features

smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Improve engine design, so top end gets enough oil, from oil pump. use better plastic, on interior.

Best vehicle I've driven in years
By kackerman

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I picked up an Intrepid ES as a temporary car while my new one is in for major repairs and fell in love. The exterior looks drab (an older sedan style) but it drives like nothing I've seen before. Handles all road conditions beautifully and has more than enough power. I'm actually considering some body work (snazzy stuff) and might keep it. Shame that Chrysler didn't stick with this engine - it's magic.

Favorite Features

Excellent torque, easy highway handling, surprisingly good mileage (for an older car) and the original stereo is just sick (better than the aftermarket one in my newer SUV). Steering is a bit stiffer than what I'm used to, took a couple hours to adjust but it does take corners and curves very well.

Suggested Improvements

It's 2013 - and this is a 1996 - so improvements are not relevant. If I could travel back in time, I would give the car a sportier look, shorter body and more room for the driver.

Perfect
By Jaeger

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Dodge Intrepid at Stan's Auto Sales in Kearney Nebraska and absolutely love it. It dies every thing you would expect and more. It doesn't have all the usual 90's Chrysler drawbacks, The paint doesn't fade, the seats are in perfect condition, etc. This car is just about perfect. I would strongly recommend a Dodge Intrepid for anyone.

Favorite Features

Styling (Interior and Exterior), Performance, Build Quality, Room, Gas Mileage, Ride, Features, Trunk Size, 3.5 Engine Smoothness, A/C, And Much More.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better Infinity Speakers.

Wonderful Car
By luvmydodge

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Overall this is a great car. I bought it with 60k miles on it and I finally had to let it go. I sold it because the transmission finally went out but this was after 280k miles. That was the only mechanical problem with this car.

Favorite Features

Styling, engine sound with hard acceleration. Powerful engine for it's class. I am over 6 feet tall and it was one of the few cars I could fit in comfortably

Suggested Improvements

Bring this design back. The later model intrepids had no room for tall people.

Great vehicle and fun to drive
By jaeggergs

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle as a demo with 5200 miles on it. It has been one of the best reliable, dependable vehicles I've ever owned. Love the performance of the vehicle. Hugs corners with Pirelli's. I have 187,000 miles on the vehicle. Replaced the engine, rebuilt the tranny & it still runs like a dream. Front end now goes about every 2 years. About $800. to repair. Having a hard time letting this vehicle go. Prefer driving it in bad weather over my SUV. Don't like the black "paper" between front & back doors as it peels off. That's the worst I can say about this vehicle. Only stuck once and that's when the engine went with no warning. This vehicle owes me nothing. Would recommend to anyone

Favorite Features

Hugs corners with Pirelli tires. Nice performance. Roomy interior. Sporty looking sedan (ES). Got well over 100,000 miles on engine and tranny. Good gas mileage. Superb handling in bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the paper between front & rear doors. Better speakers. Had issues with check engine light staying on. It took 3 dealerships to figure it out.