1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Best vehicle I've driven in years
By kackerman on 07/23/13 21:30 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I picked up an Intrepid ES as a temporary car while my new one is in for major repairs and fell in love. The exterior looks drab (an older sedan style) but it drives like nothing I've seen before. Handles all road conditions beautifully and has more than enough power. I'm actually considering some body work (snazzy stuff) and might keep it. Shame that Chrysler didn't stick with this engine - it's magic.

Perfect
By Jaeger on 08/31/09 19:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Dodge Intrepid at Stan's Auto Sales in Kearney Nebraska and absolutely love it. It dies every thing you would expect and more. It doesn't have all the usual 90's Chrysler drawbacks, The paint doesn't fade, the seats are in perfect condition, etc. This car is just about perfect. I would strongly recommend a Dodge Intrepid for anyone.

More time in shop
By hammerdrop64 on 05/16/08 20:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

About 15 days after I bought this car, the check engine light came on. I had to replace the EGR valve. Four days after that, I had to change the valve cover gaskets, it was leaking oil on the exhaust manifold. Two weeks after that was the worst problem, a bent valve. It would stick at times. I didn't won't to spend the money to have the heads reworked. Also, Dodge seems to have cheap plastics, especially on interior parts. I had this car about six weeks. I sold it for $800, I won't get another one.

Great vehicle and fun to drive
By jaeggergs on 11/17/07 09:23 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle as a demo with 5200 miles on it. It has been one of the best reliable, dependable vehicles I've ever owned. Love the performance of the vehicle. Hugs corners with Pirelli's. I have 187,000 miles on the vehicle. Replaced the engine, rebuilt the tranny & it still runs like a dream. Front end now goes about every 2 years. About $800. to repair. Having a hard time letting this vehicle go. Prefer driving it in bad weather over my SUV. Don't like the black "paper" between front & back doors as it peels off. That's the worst I can say about this vehicle. Only stuck once and that's when the engine went with no warning. This vehicle owes me nothing. Would recommend to anyone

Wonderful Car
By luvmydodge on 11/07/07 19:55 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Overall this is a great car. I bought it with 60k miles on it and I finally had to let it go. I sold it because the transmission finally went out but this was after 280k miles. That was the only mechanical problem with this car.

Give it up
By kevin on 12/13/06 15:31 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This was my wife's car. She bought it brand new. She would not part with it even after it started having problems. After 10 years we have replaced the tie rods twice, the air conditioner compressor, had it painted, replaced the serpetine belt twice, the water pump three times, struts, tires several times more than we should have due to the tie rods. The motor after was finally replaced last year because the oil sending unit and pump went out and we could put a new engine in from a wrecked one cheaper than we could fix the oil pump problems. The car rides great, just not very mechannicaly sound. Also the door gaskets kept falling off.

Not bad so far
By Bartbilt on 11/19/06 14:32 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Good reliability and MPG, up to 30mpg on highway witht the 3.3 V6. No transmission problems. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of leg room, even with the console shifter. A\C broke and I have no intentions of fixing it. Currently have 147,000 miles on it with a few oil leaks. Handles well in the snow. I inherited the car from my wife and use it mainly to commute to work, 50 miles per day. Exterior is holding up well with regular washes and yearly waxing. Black exterior trim pieces are peeling. Also, lost two of the four center hubcaps on the wheels. Noticed that most others with the same wheels are missing some or all of the hubcabs. Wanting to see how many miles this thing will go.

Decent Large Car
By DK on 07/26/06 07:12 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive, responsive and powerful full size sedan. Handles well for its size. Plenty of room for passengers. Powerful and reliable engine

My 1996 Dodge Intrepid
By FireBird on 05/27/06 08:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I traded in my old Saturn for this car and only paid $100.00 for it. I have only had to replace the water pump one time at 181K, This car is a real nice build, about $35.00 will fill it up, and I drive it all year round. The A/C is nice and cold. I love this car!

Great Car
By catandave on 09/02/05 15:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Everyone told me I was in for problems when I bought my Intrepid. It ran great for 220,000 miles when we got rid of it for something to pull a boat. I never had to replace the transmission or any other major repairs, just minor brake replacements. This is something for any car that I drive. I believe in driving them hard. I would recommend this car to anyone.