1996 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Terrible reliability
By jim12 on 04/18/13 11:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1995 and just after the warranty was up it was nothing but trouble. The A/C evaporator core (defective but Chrysler wouldn't do anything) went, water pump, steering linkage, etc... I traded it in (it had 71,000 miles) for a new 2004 Honda CRV. The CRV was the best and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Great Car
By dsiemens on 12/04/12 08:52 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1996 Intrepid in fall of 1995 - it's the best car a ever owned - I've had some problems with it. I now have 565,000 kilometers on the origingal engine - I use regular 5 30 weight oil with power up as an engine additive. My brother bought a second hand 1996 Intrepid identical to mine and it had 185,000 km's it now has over 400,000 km's - super engine!!

Electrical problems
By robert on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for 5 years with no problems. Now it has 200,650 miles on it. I am having trouble with check engine light staying on and the air bag light stays on now and some how it is connected to the air conditioner and windows they don't work when light is on. Also a mechanic told me the air bag can blow at any time in this condition when driving. this could be very dangerous or cause a deadly accident

208k And Going Strong
By R. Sheppard on 04/17/10 16:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 185K. have had minor problems, ie brakes, Headlights, Axle. nothing that could persuade me to get rid of the car. the intrepid is roomy and handles well. I have put 28K miles on that used engine and all I do is keep changing the oil. I would recommend the Intrepid to anyone.

By Rachel on 09/29/09 21:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 3 yrs. it has been a lot of fun to drive even got me into trouble a couple of times. I have had a lot of repair work done on it, but what can you expect from a 12 yr old car. The main issues I have had with the car have been major, such as the brakes jamming, fuel pump breaking, bad connection to the battery, and the tie rod. Other than having to fix all of these things on it, it is a good family car. I wouldn't recommend it for really long distance travel. but if you are a college student like me it at least gets you from point A to point B. I have no problem with the shop that I bought the car from. they do an amazing fix it job. The car has been Murphy's law.

The Good and The Bad
By Mr. Rogers on 07/20/09 07:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I was given this car as a hand down. So it was not my first choice in a car. The intrepid is about to go to the shop as i am writing this review. Over all this vehicle has been reliable. For the size of the car and what you get it could be considered the 7 series of Dodge. (haha) There have been many parts that have needed to be replaced. The headlights especially, $500+ for the two headlights, and they are broken again not even 6months later. Steering is another huge problem. Basically its a great car if the proper time and money is invested, reliability is great. But I would have to say that i would not purchase another intrepid, but a challenger would look great in the driveway!

I Absolutely Love This Car!
By dwyl on 03/07/09 10:35 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I really love this car! Bought it with only 34,000 miles on it. Handles great and gets 30 mpg on long trips. Have 180,000 miles on it now and it still runs great. Does use a bit of oil between 6,000 mile oil changes. Not enough to have to add any. (use Castrol 5/50 synthetic oil) No issues with the engine or transmission. Have had to replace the water pump twice. Smooth, comfortable ride. The window gaskets are falling off and the paint on the plastic panel behind the back doors has faded. According to records before I owned it, the steering pump was replaced twice, and the steering gear was replaced but I've had no problems. I would definitely buy another one in a heartbeat!

A large car with class
By renderedconsequences on 02/16/09 09:16 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought my car last spring with 86,000 miles, since then have put 9,000 miles on it. All I've replaced is a power steering hose and the headlights. A great face lift for oxidized, old lenses. It hugs the corners, and feels great driving, comfortable. Handles great and has enough power to pass at anytime yet not so much that's easy to get into trouble all the time - though manageable. The only complaint I could possibly think of is how the air intake disconnects from the engine, this making the engine heat rise, but easily fixed by coupling it back. I do love this car and it looks terrific, though 13 years old it still has a near perfect paint job and has had no body work.

old faithful
By Lady Luck on 10/27/08 08:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

We got this car off a 2 year lease return in 1998, and I'm still driving it. We have had absolutely no major problems with this car up until recently, and it's almost 13 years old, and has over 150k. Up until the car went over 100k, it was nothing but oil changes, brakes and tires for this car, plus one timing chain change. After that small stuff started to go bad I can't say anything bad about this car up until now. Accelerates nicely, is comfortable, especially for a tall girl like me. The trans is going bad now, and I'm still deciding on replacing it or getting something else. I really do love this car.

Probably wouldn't buy another
By J K on 09/17/08 16:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

The good things: Roomy, handles well for size, no absolutely major break downs. Perfect alignment despite crashing it. Pretty tough in crashes. Bad things: Had to replace steering rack at 66,000 miles. Has always had a very slow oil leak. Head lights dim due to excessive oxidation. Moisture in headlight housing. Does not maneuver well when parallel parking. LOTS of blind spots. Fishtails easily at speeds over 65 mph. Transmission shifts roughly sometimes. Breaks wear quickly. Has 3.3 L engine but won't due over 50 mph uphill on the freeway. Some Intrepids of various years have had major mechanic failure of the steering system. I feel the car has too much wear for the amount I drive it.