Used 1996 Dodge Intrepid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Intrepid

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Terrible reliability
By jim12

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1995 and just after the warranty was up it was nothing but trouble. The A/C evaporator core (defective but Chrysler wouldn't do anything) went, water pump, steering linkage, etc... I traded it in (it had 71,000 miles) for a new 2004 Honda CRV. The CRV was the best and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Great Car
By dsiemens

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1996 Intrepid in fall of 1995 - it's the best car a ever owned - I've had some problems with it. I now have 565,000 kilometers on the origingal engine - I use regular 5 30 weight oil with power up as an engine additive. My brother bought a second hand 1996 Intrepid identical to mine and it had 185,000 km's it now has over 400,000 km's - super engine!!

Electrical problems
By robert

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for 5 years with no problems. Now it has 200,650 miles on it. I am having trouble with check engine light staying on and the air bag light stays on now and some how it is connected to the air conditioner and windows they don't work when light is on. Also a mechanic told me the air bag can blow at any time in this condition when driving. this could be very dangerous or cause a deadly accident

208k And Going Strong
By R. Sheppard

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 185K. have had minor problems, ie brakes, Headlights, Axle. nothing that could persuade me to get rid of the car. the intrepid is roomy and handles well. I have put 28K miles on that used engine and all I do is keep changing the oil. I would recommend the Intrepid to anyone.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

Too many Blind spots. Change the head lights.

By Rachel

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 3 yrs. it has been a lot of fun to drive even got me into trouble a couple of times. I have had a lot of repair work done on it, but what can you expect from a 12 yr old car. The main issues I have had with the car have been major, such as the brakes jamming, fuel pump breaking, bad connection to the battery, and the tie rod. Other than having to fix all of these things on it, it is a good family car. I wouldn't recommend it for really long distance travel. but if you are a college student like me it at least gets you from point A to point B. I have no problem with the shop that I bought the car from. they do an amazing fix it job. The car has been Murphy's law.

Favorite Features

I love the low impact of it. For that size car it got great gas millage, 25+ high way. Very roomy. Love the trunk size. I'm able to transport my bike just by putting it in the trunk and holding the trunk down with a bungy cord.

Suggested Improvements

It has to large of a blind spot. needs a smaller gas tank. 16 gal is to many for my college budget.