Used 1996 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Most Helpful|
Hate the car
By Very disapointed

1996 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Before I bought the car I always wanted one. I heard nothing but great things, untill I had one for myself. Maybe it is just the year or something but, it came with many problems, the steering, went through 2 transmissions, radiator, headgasket, breaks every 2-3 months, and the list goes on. If Dodge was good to their people, they wouldn't have allowed anyone to take this car off of their lot. Or they would fix the problems for FREE. Especially the more dangerous items like the steering. Also the car feels and sounds like it is just going to fall apart one. Very loud clicking noises

Favorite Features

I would have to say that the feature of people in the back having their own controls for the heat and air is nice. the roominess is nice as well. We can fit a full size stroller in the trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The steering, the power (mine doesn't have much) and what ever else i mentioned that was wrong with this vehicle.

More time in shop
By hammerdrop64

1996 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

About 15 days after I bought this car, the check engine light came on. I had to replace the EGR valve. Four days after that, I had to change the valve cover gaskets, it was leaking oil on the exhaust manifold. Two weeks after that was the worst problem, a bent valve. It would stick at times. I didn't won't to spend the money to have the heads reworked. Also, Dodge seems to have cheap plastics, especially on interior parts. I had this car about six weeks. I sold it for $800, I won't get another one.

Favorite Features

smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Improve engine design, so top end gets enough oil, from oil pump. use better plastic, on interior.

Looks nice, is powerful, but lousy quality
By BJ

1996 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Drove it for about 6 months before it started to overheat periodically. No mechanic could figure out what was wrong with it. CV joints went out. Steering was sloppy. Couldn't keep brake pads on it without them wearing out. Will never buy a Dodge again.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, nice exterior

Suggested Improvements

Quality must be improved!

Won't buy another one
By jfreeman

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used. Plastic parts breaks easily. Engine had a number of problems, the worst was a bent valve. check eng. light stays on. leaked oil from valve covers. and had to replace the EGR valve, $370 at dealer. All of this in a 45 day period.

Favorite Features

smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the engine

Terrible reliability
By jim12

1996 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1995 and just after the warranty was up it was nothing but trouble. The A/C evaporator core (defective but Chrysler wouldn't do anything) went, water pump, steering linkage, etc... I traded it in (it had 71,000 miles) for a new 2004 Honda CRV. The CRV was the best and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.