1994 Dodge Intrepid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

1994 Intrepid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Sort Reviews by

And keeps on going...
By oxy

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1994 base in 1998 with 87,000 km on it. The car now has 485,000 km. The a/c still works and so does pretty much everything else. There is a short in the rear defogger. I had a tranny problem in 2002 and had it rebuilt for $2,500. Still works great. Only thing I don't like is the lack of head room and I'm only 6 feet and not the best mileage. Looking for a small 4 cyl but intend to keep the Intrepid. Oh, never had to change the exhaust system and I never get stuck in the snow and I only use all-season tires. Rear springs done about 2 years ago.

Favorite Features

Blasts through snow, fun to drive, great on highway. Easy to work on. Cheap parts at wreckers. Roomy interior, cave size trunk, good towing capacity. 3.3 L engine has timing chain, not a belt, so doesn't need to be changed.

Suggested Improvements

Need more headroom, better gas mileage if they had a 5 or 6 speed with O/D. Headlights break if you look at them the wrong way. Never understood why the Intrepid is a Dodge in the States and a Chrysler in Canada.

The plan was good.
By sprog

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Started having quite a few problems with it after about 100k miles - A/C would only work at certain times (never could figure it out), as well as quite a few other things. Poor paint job - it was actually tan, but would show up sort of purple at night. Kind of neat, but it started flaking off. Had cooling problems with it as well.

Favorite Features

They should have kept and refined this version of this car forever. Fabulous amounts of room in the front and back seat as well. Had pretty good pickup, but we actually got 32 mpg out of this thing on the road one time - it always got at least 30 on the road. Obviously - it cut through the air REALLY well.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Of course, the Chrysler folks are sort of known for not doing too well with that. 'Tis a shame - they could have turned this into one of the best cars ever...

It just won't die!
By Tim K.

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought this in 2000 with just over 100K on it. Only external flaws were light hail damage and faded paint where a cell phone antenna used to be. Eventually, the faded spot spread from the elements, but no lower body rust at all. Living in Minnesota with the ice and salt on roads in winter, it's held up well. I've put mostly short trips on it, and it always starts and runs, except once. Battery was old and died. Only had that replaced, one water pump and one starter in 9 years. Tires of course. For having been over 100K when I bought it, 9 years of driving and only put that much into it is great! Idle is rough sometimes now, so may need to have it looked at, but can't complain.

Favorite Features

Was a very sharp looking car, now faded paint on roof detracts from that. Great reliability, nice acceleration and handling, comfortable, roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

If it weren't for the fading paint on the roof, I couldn't think of any.

One happy Intrepid owner
By W. Coffey

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

very roomy,great mileage,good ride,great highway control,good performance,great visability in traffic,its just been a great allaround automobile.

Favorite Features

interior room,gas mileage,& allaround performance

Suggested Improvements

no real complaints

Best purchase ever made!
By Susan Patnode

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in 1996 with 36,000. Purchased extended warranty. Had transmission issue in '98, covered 100% by warranty! Have had no other issues! Never had a day when the car didn't start (gets cold here in winter) When I purchased needed reliable car..single mom 3 kids. My youngest were 5. They are now 16 and learning to drive. Guess what they're driving? The intrepid! 175000 miles, a year in storage, and still going strong!

Favorite Features

Engine! Interior space. Huge trunk.

1994 Intrepid
By Jeff

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

My Intrepid has 319,000km or 198,000 miles on the original drive train. Does not use oil between changes and still averages 10 litres /100km or almost 30mpg. Easy to work on and the dealer has been very helpful with the few problems encountered. Original owner.

Favorite Features

Helpful dealer and well laid out mechanicals.

Suggested Improvements

Inner tie rods seem to be a problem area having replaced mine 3 times.

The new Dodge, same old same old
By James

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from an individual. I paid just $500. I found the acceleration with the 3.3 to be more than ample. The drivetrain is good for the engine, and shifted smooth. Even though the car has never left me stranded, I have poured quite the sum of money into it. When I bought it, it needed brakes. That's maintanence. After driving it for a month, the inner and outer tie rod ends on the driver's side are going bad. Map, and O2 sensors went bad. The rear transmission mount is broke. The downshift linkage in the transmission is sticking. Dodge did a horrible job on fit and finish. Same old Same old.

Favorite Features

The car has a good ride, great A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge needs to learn a transmission design lesson from GM, Ford, or Honda. Every Dodge Ive owned, the transmission dropped prematurely.

So far, so good
By DM

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Bought this car off a mechanic's lot with 96,000 mi. for $1,900. After owning it for two weeks, the "anti-theft system" (which in this case causes the steering wheel to lock up unless the [proper] key is inserted into the ignition) went ahead and locked up the steering wheel even though I was indeed trying to start the car with it's own key. Had to take the car back to the mechanic, who removed the "anti-theft system" for about $300. My faith being shaken, I began to prepare for the worst, but (so far) the car has given me no problems since. I find acceleration with the 3.3 to be sluggish, although the car does handle well for its size.

Favorite Features

Front end styling, very spacious interior, handling, cool black on white gauges.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration is lacking with the 3.3, headlights seem a little dim, ridiculously plinky steering wheel. (Though this can be remedied with the addition of a nice steering wheel cover.)

This car is very versatile
By Red's Trep

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

My mother originally bought the car in 01/98 for $7300 from a guy in Chicago. Top of the line stuff was added its whole life. I got the car in 06/99 as a gift. The car had 120,000 miles on it. Now as of 04/06, 288,350 miles on original engine and tranny. Body is rough due to the people I trusted. Rust is minium considering it was from Indiana. Overall, wonderful car

Favorite Features

The 3.3L. already torquey and powerful, I added a K&N air filter in 02/05 and a Magnaflow Catalytic Converter 04/05, which boosted it 30 HP. It has 91-93 (premium unleaded) ran in it its whole life from new.

Fun Full size car.
By Brian M. Genthner

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

My '94 Dodge Intrepid is fun to drive and comfortable. I've owned it for two years and the only problems I've had was that the drums stick or a spring in the drum brakes breaks but I like the disc. It hugs the road very well. It has 164,000 miles and it still runs good plus its 3.3L is easier to work on than the 3.5L the my father has in his 1993 Eagle Vision the he has had cooling problems with. If you want a good car that will be there and that is good in snow, get an Intrepid.

Favorite Features

Style of the outside, and power.

Suggested Improvements

Discs all the way a round for the regular package. Possible a Hemi and a transmission that could handle the power but still keeping the front-wheel-drive.