Used 1994 Dodge Intrepid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

And keeps on going...
By oxy

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1994 base in 1998 with 87,000 km on it. The car now has 485,000 km. The a/c still works and so does pretty much everything else. There is a short in the rear defogger. I had a tranny problem in 2002 and had it rebuilt for $2,500. Still works great. Only thing I don't like is the lack of head room and I'm only 6 feet and not the best mileage. Looking for a small 4 cyl but intend to keep the Intrepid. Oh, never had to change the exhaust system and I never get stuck in the snow and I only use all-season tires. Rear springs done about 2 years ago.

Blasts through snow, fun to drive, great on highway. Easy to work on. Cheap parts at wreckers. Roomy interior, cave size trunk, good towing capacity. 3.3 L engine has timing chain, not a belt, so doesn't need to be changed.

Need more headroom, better gas mileage if they had a 5 or 6 speed with O/D. Headlights break if you look at them the wrong way. Never understood why the Intrepid is a Dodge in the States and a Chrysler in Canada.

The plan was good.
By sprog

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

Started having quite a few problems with it after about 100k miles - A/C would only work at certain times (never could figure it out), as well as quite a few other things. Poor paint job - it was actually tan, but would show up sort of purple at night. Kind of neat, but it started flaking off. Had cooling problems with it as well.

They should have kept and refined this version of this car forever. Fabulous amounts of room in the front and back seat as well. Had pretty good pickup, but we actually got 32 mpg out of this thing on the road one time - it always got at least 30 on the road. Obviously - it cut through the air REALLY well.

Reliability. Of course, the Chrysler folks are sort of known for not doing too well with that. 'Tis a shame - they could have turned this into one of the best cars ever...

Got what I paid for
By ibakan

1994 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this in July, 08 with 80K miles because it was seemed to be a good value. The climate control unit had some glitches I soon discovered and soon stopped working. Had a couple mechanics do some diagnosis and we've not come up with answers except it's not the control head, min. $200 for a good diagnosis and at least another $150 to fix. I was doing a lot of mountain driving at the time, so when my water pump failed it quickly overheated and developed a head gasket leak, est. repair cost is $500 - $1500. Starter is failing now too, so it's time for my clean, good looking 95K mile Intrepid to be turned in because the cost to repair it all is higher than the value of the car.

Comfortable ride. Roomy. Handles well.

REGRET BUYING IT
By nam

1994 Dodge Intrepid ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a old guy. It looked Nice. The owner saTransmission, engine, everything under hood, and gas mileage id its good works fine. My dad said don't buy it. 2 months later my transmission broke. 10 days later my engine stopped working and my reverse never stopped. Every 10 days it was with my mechanic. Now the check engine light is always on. It runs like a piece of junk. I tried clunking it but wasn't excepted. Don't buy it

Leather seats, acceleration (when 1st got it), and radio

Transmission, engine, everything under hood, and gas mileage

It just won't die!
By Tim K.

1994 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan

I bought this in 2000 with just over 100K on it. Only external flaws were light hail damage and faded paint where a cell phone antenna used to be. Eventually, the faded spot spread from the elements, but no lower body rust at all. Living in Minnesota with the ice and salt on roads in winter, it's held up well. I've put mostly short trips on it, and it always starts and runs, except once. Battery was old and died. Only had that replaced, one water pump and one starter in 9 years. Tires of course. For having been over 100K when I bought it, 9 years of driving and only put that much into it is great! Idle is rough sometimes now, so may need to have it looked at, but can't complain.

Was a very sharp looking car, now faded paint on roof detracts from that. Great reliability, nice acceleration and handling, comfortable, roomy interior.

If it weren't for the fading paint on the roof, I couldn't think of any.