Used 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Nice car for the family
By Haim Elbaz

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Crew 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Fun to drive
By johnwanamaker

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

As 2 over 70 people we like the upright seats of a mini-van.
Visibility is great in all directions.
Power was very adequate on a recent trip in the mountains.
It was helpful to downshift with the lever because it would try to shift up too soon otherwise. Mileage was very good even when doing lots of driving in 4th.
Mileage is much better (27+ at high speeds (70+) than around town (23)
Stow and go seating is the only way to go.
We haul a lot of stuff and need to put the seats down often.
Very easy to do.

Experienced Driver of Grand Caravan
By nmdude

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I enjoy driving the Dodge Caravan so I bought one. There have been concerns about the six speed transmission. I have specifically rented a SXT model to haul film lighting.The rental was quite less than SUVs. The transmission is sensitive and needs understanding. The six speed transmission allows one to save on fuel costs whether driving through hilly country or flat lands at highway speeds. Carrying 1 ton of cargo, it drives well granted, you understand how to shift. There is a reason why the shifter is located next to the speedometer. 10, 500 ft above sea level it performed well on hairpin turns. Height, stow n go, 12V inputs, width, wheel size 5stars.

Traded After Fourteen Months
By crday

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased the van because of its flexibility and usefulness. Disappointment came soon after I purchased it. The Caravan was my second consecutive new Dodge purchase. It will be my last. The six-speed transmission almost caused a very serious accident on two occasions. After pulling out from a dead stop, the transmission suddenly upshifted from first to fourth or fifth gear immediately. It began to shudder and took several seconds to downshift to a more appropriate gear. I normally would have had plenty of room. I contacted two dealerships and was informed that there were no issues with the transmission. This was AFTER the first corrective update. This vehicle can be dangerous.

Stow and Go seating. Appearance. Three zone heating/air conditioning.

Repair/replace transmission. More honesty in dealing with known drivability issues. Improve quality in general: Circuit boards can be seen in radio in sunlight, poor audio quality in radio/speakers, no BT sync for phone in SE package, sliding doors rattle, poor gas mileage in town (12 to 13 mpg), excessive toque steer on acceleration. A less arrogant attitude from Chrysler when dealing with known, serious design flaws. I was basically told that my comments would help future design for future owners. That helped me a great deal!

A good value
By 04quadcab

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

2013 Grand Caravan SXT; currently with about 10,000 miles on it.
I really wouldn't consider any minivan that didn't have some version of Stow&Go.
I have the second row seats folded down almost as much as I have them up, and I wouldn't like having to remove the seat to free up that space, since you then have to leave it at home and can't haul passengers in that area.

Other likes:
Great power, good gas mileage-I get 27 at 70-75 mph (town mileage is not great, tho).
Quiet, smooth ride.
Much less expensive to buy than Honda or Toyota.
Dislikes:
6 spd tranny is OK, but not as smooth or predictable as could be.
Driver's seat needs more rearward travel; legroom is limited.
Update @ 60,000 mi: Love the car with two exceptions; the transmission and the rear shocks. Rear shocks start rattling every 15-20K miles. Dealer has replaced them twice at no cost to me, and since the car is still within the 100,000 mi powertrain/suspension warranty, will be doing it again soon. Transmission still shifts rough sometimes, particularly when shifting out of reverse into drive. Dealer rebuilt it once, saying they found torque converter clutch to have shredded crap into the rest of the tranny. Shifts decently now, but not great, still giving that "whack" going from R to D about 50% of the time. There is a new TSB out on it, and I hope to have them reprogram it again soon.

08/29/2016-- Now at 69.000 miles. I would absolutely love this car if it weren't for the transmission. It is truly a POS. Reprogramming it helps for a few thousand miles, then it's back to erratic and clunky shifting. When my warranty runs out, I suppose I'll be paying to have it reprogrammed every 15-20 K miles, or whenever it starts to act up so badly I can no longer stand it.