Used 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Fun to drive
By johnwanamaker

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

As 2 over 70 people we like the upright seats of a mini-van. Visibility is great in all directions. Power was very adequate on a recent trip in the mountains. It was helpful to downshift with the lever because it would try to shift up too soon otherwise. Mileage was very good even when doing lots of driving in 4th. Mileage is much better (27+ at high speeds (70+) than around town (23) Stow and go seating is the only way to go. We haul a lot of stuff and need to put the seats down often. Very easy to do.

Stow and Go seating downshift on gear selector upright seating all around visibility

More heat for front seat riders feet.

Experienced Driver of Grand Caravan
By nmdude

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I enjoy driving the Dodge Caravan so I bought one. There have been concerns about the six speed transmission. I have specifically rented a SXT model to haul film lighting.The rental was quite less than SUVs. The transmission is sensitive and needs understanding. The six speed transmission allows one to save on fuel costs whether driving through hilly country or flat lands at highway speeds. Carrying 1 ton of cargo, it drives well granted, you understand how to shift. There is a reason why the shifter is located next to the speedometer. 10, 500 ft above sea level it performed well on hairpin turns. Height, stow n go, 12V inputs, width, wheel size 5stars.

Traded After Fourteen Months
By crday

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased the van because of its flexibility and usefulness. Disappointment came soon after I purchased it. The Caravan was my second consecutive new Dodge purchase. It will be my last. The six-speed transmission almost caused a very serious accident on two occasions. After pulling out from a dead stop, the transmission suddenly upshifted from first to fourth or fifth gear immediately. It began to shudder and took several seconds to downshift to a more appropriate gear. I normally would have had plenty of room. I contacted two dealerships and was informed that there were no issues with the transmission. This was AFTER the first corrective update. This vehicle can be dangerous.

Stow and Go seating. Appearance. Three zone heating/air conditioning.

Repair/replace transmission. More honesty in dealing with known drivability issues. Improve quality in general: Circuit boards can be seen in radio in sunlight, poor audio quality in radio/speakers, no BT sync for phone in SE package, sliding doors rattle, poor gas mileage in town (12 to 13 mpg), excessive toque steer on acceleration. A less arrogant attitude from Chrysler when dealing with known, serious design flaws. I was basically told that my comments would help future design for future owners. That helped me a great deal!

A good value
By 04quadcab

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

2013 Grand Caravan SXT; currently with about 10,000 miles on it. I really wouldn't consider any minivan that didn't have some version of Stow&Go. I have the second row seats folded down almost as much as I have them up, and I wouldn't like having to remove the seat to free up that space, since you then have to leave it at home and can't haul passengers in that area. Other likes: Great power, good gas mileage-I get 27 at 70-75 mph (town mileage is not great, tho). Quiet, smooth ride. Much less expensive to buy than Honda or Toyota. Dislikes: 6 spd tranny is OK, but not as smooth or predictable as could be. Driver's seat needs more rearward travel; legroom is limited.

Stow& Go seating. Gas mileage. Power. Interior appearance, seat comfort. Power doors & tailgate. Tilt & telescope steering wheel. Luggage carrier bars that stow in the side bars rather than remaining in place all the time. Good sound system.

Power driver seat is not std until you get up to the Crew model. This is ridiculous that it is not std on the SXT. The front seats, particularly the driver's seat, need another inch or two of rearward travel. C'mon, Chrysler engineers, get that transmission shifting sorted out right; it's smooth as butter one time, then jerks and clunks the next. And while you're at it, make the selectable shift actually select a gear rather than limit the upshift. It's nice to be able to start in 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th for traction on snow.

2013 Crew Pros/Cons
By tomsouthmd

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Crew 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The 2013 Grand Caravan is my third dodge van; I traded in a 2007 SXT. When ordering I had to move up to the Crew to get some options that were included on the 2007 SXT such as the power driver’s seat, leather steering wheel, and garage door opener. I added the driver convenience group to get, along with other options, bluetooth. The ride is good, handling ok for a minivan, seats are an improvement over the 2007 and the 3.6 liter engine is a significant power upgrade. The tow capacity is up to 3,600 lbs and the stow ‘n go seats still provide the most versatility compared to other minivans. The transmission needs work (see below). Recommendation – take a good highway test drive before buying.

I love the many features included with the radio package such as the backup camera, touch screen and hard drive which now has over 1000 of my favorite tunes loaded. The remote start option is great, particularly in the cold because in additional to starting the engine the system turns on the driver’s seat and steering wheel warmers.

The van has a 6 speed so you would think smoother shifting when compared with the 4 speed 2007 - not! The problem, downshifts at highway speeds. When cruising at 70 mph in 6th gear and starting up a hill, it takes awhile before the transmission decides to shift. Then, instead of coming out of lockup or shifting into 5th , it goes directly to 4th, rpms almost double, the engine roars, the van lurches, then, in just seconds, it decides oops, I should really be in 5th and the rpms drop. This drives me crazy. My van has the latest M38 module program so Chrysler and my dealer say sorry and we are at the mercy of software engineers. The Edmunds was kind, saying only “unrefined powertrain.”