2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Review: Worst Minivan Ever

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Review

SXT Passenger Minivan (3.6L V6 FFV 6-speed Automatic)

Worst Minivan Ever
By facelessdrone on

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Spent 8 days and 1500 miles with this turkey as a rental. My 1993 Chevy Lumina APV anteater was way better. Extremely poor in many respects. Transmission constantly in wrong gear. Lugs and won't downshift when trying to accelerate, then suddenly shifts 3 gears and overrevs. Jerky throttle response causes tires to chirp at any sharp intersection even at slow speeds. Instrument panel lights come on, misleading you into thinking the headlights are actually on. There is an "Econ" button; I could never tell what it did since performance was unaffected. The button to turn off stability control is at the bottom right of the instrument panel so a child can turn it off. Smart move, Dodge.

Favorite Features

Spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Reprogram the transmission. Redesign the instrument panel. Instrument panel lights should not come on unless the lights are actually on. Eliminate the giant key so it can fit in your pocket. Use a better radio -- one that has LEDs large enough to actually cover the electronics in the radio! The sound was okay but sheesh, I have never seen such a garbage-looking factory radio.
By johnnyredknife
on 04/06/12 08:24 AM (PDT)

I have noticed similar problems with the transmission in my 2012 Grand Caravan, but I assumed it was due to the defective transmission that Chrysler would not replace after losing all of its fluid while I was driving it. Then I bought a 2012 Hyundai Sonata because I want a RELIABLE vehicle and it also has a 6 speed transmission. However, it shifts great. My sister said the same thing about her mini. So I guess this shifting problem is a defect inherent to Chrysler vehicles.