2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Review: Worst interior ergonomics ever

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Review

Worst interior ergonomics ever!
By joeb316 on

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Do not buy this car unless you intend to use both feet to operate the accelerator and the brake. The brake pedal is approximately 1" closer to the driver than the accelerator pedal, making for the most annoying driving experience I've ever had. In addition, the third row seating's headrests significantly obscure views out the rear view mirror and the automatic shift selector is in the most awkward place I've ever seen.

Brake pedal should be at same level as the accelerator. Third row seating headrests should fold down. Relocate automatic shift lever.
By stekicar
on 11/23/11 17:17 PM (PST)

Well, you are right about position/height of brake pedal. It is a little bit higher than I would like also. Although, speaking about ergonomics, pressing brake pedal requires much more foot force than pressing gas pedal. Therefore, by moving it closer to the drivers foot, it requires less foot movement. Imagine, you have to press brake pedal in emergency. Do you think that it would be OK for your foot to move so much that your body slides from the seat?

By rmacarthur
on 03/02/12 06:44 AM (PST)

Rear seat head rests can be folded down. SXT should have adjustable pedals as well. Do you really own this car? Doubtful.

By johnnyredknife
on 04/06/12 09:00 AM (PDT)

The pedal height hasn't been a problem for me but because I am short and the extremely LIMITED foot room in the driver's side cockpit I find it very difficult to disengage the emergency brake without a handle. I had the majority of the seats removed from my vehicle for wheelchair access and the visibility is still poor. That is why I believe back up cameras and blind spot monitors should come as standard equipment. I read somewhere that the government is going to require this in 2014 because so many kids are being run over to go with the seat belts, ABS and air bags.

By mikesr11
on 11/19/11 04:46 AM (PST)

I own a 2012 Grand Caravan, and I never noticed anything different about the pedal. When I read your comment about the brake being closer than the gas, I thought I would check my Odyssey- it's set up the same way. Also, regarding the shift knob, it is located in the same spot on many of these minivans. The head rests are a bit large, but I don't think they are a major factor. There is a model available with backup camera.