trans
By johnnyredknife on
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan American Value Package 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
I drove my 2012 Grand Caravan twice before having it towed back to the dealer. The trans was leaving a trail of fluid from the grocery store to my driveway where it ended with a puddle. The dealer said he ran it all day and could not find a leak. I suggested adding fluid. Mike called back claiming the pump and axle seals were leaking. A trans can't be run dry without sustaining damage. It was exacerbated by running it all day, but Chrys' Limited Warranty only paid for seals, fluid and labor rather than replacing the unit. So I have an unrealible traffic hazard that I can't wait to get rid of. I would not recommend this for anyone interested in safety.
Favorite Features
The engine performs fairly well and the stow and go seats were great. However, I had to allow AMS Vans to remove them to customize the van for wheelchair access.
Suggested Improvements
When a Mfg Defect exists the warranty should not be limited. A quality check prior to delivery could have avoided this problem. The 6 spd trans results in engine surges. It can be shifted to 4 spd but why not use the right trans. With all of the blind spots a rear camera and blind spot monitors should be standard. I prefer an E Brake release handle. If I wanted the doors locked I would push the button. I don't need Chrys locking me in the vehicle every time I drive it. And I agree with the other guy about the shifter.
By johnnyredknife
on 01/17/12 16:39 PM (PST)

This comment is for those of you that did not find my review helpful. It appears that your claim is intended to impune my character and undermine my credibility, honesty and sincerity when I provided you with these facts. Therefore I have 2 comments for you. If you really don't feel that this information is relevant to the purchase that I can only assume you are considering making then I challenge you to purchase one of these vehicles. Are you up for that dare? But before you make that decision to spend approximately 26K I would like you to consider the fact that your purchase and the reliability of your vehicle will have absolutely no effect on me. So buy what ever you want. Maybe I'll run into you on the street.

By 2011dgc
on 04/21/12 21:01 PM (PDT)

Why don?t you just trade it in and get an Odyssey and enjoy all the risks of the front wheels falling off that the other Honda owners enjoy. Or maybe you would prefer a self accelerating Toyota. FYI, the doors lock when you drive off because it is a safety feature that all new cars have, your dealership can turn it off if your prefer the old fashioned way of getting carjacked at lights, having door pop open during a crash or having kids or a senile granny open the door while the car is moving. All cars have had blind spots for 100 years. Amazingly people have managed to drive all this time without blind spot monitors.

By trusko
on 06/26/12 00:30 AM (PDT)

Doors being locked or not is questionable, you could argue. Anyway, we have 2005 Grand Caravan and turning that feature off is well documented in the manual. Unless it changed since.

By johnnyredknife
on 04/23/12 10:17 AM (PDT)

If the dealer that I bought it from, Pomoco Dodge, agreed to examine the transmission leak prior to the AMS Vans driver coming up from Georgia to pick it up for wheelchair conversion then trading it in would have been an excellent suggestion but they refused to examine it at that time and now that it has been converted a trade in would be impossible. As far as the door locks being a safety feature it should be a programmable feature by the owner, not the dealer or manufacturer. I did have them unprogram this feature. But consider being in an accident and being pinned or unconscious. Do you want the EMT response time delayed because they had to pry open the doors or maybe you would prefer your jugular vein to be lacerated when they break the glass to get to you. As far as blind spots 100 years ago, you may not have noticed but vehicle body styles have changed considerably during that time. 100 years ago these blind spots were not as prevelant as they are today. Incidentally, locking someone in against their will constitutes unlawful detainment. It sounds to me like what you are suggesting is that ALL mini vans are traffic hazards that should be removed from the highways.

By johnnyredknife
on 06/26/12 08:09 AM (PDT)

To trusko. If you have the capability to deprogram the automatic door locks that take place when the vehicle approaches 15 MPH then this program has been altered by the manufacturer or dealership on the newer vehicles. The 2012 can be owner programed to lock or unlock all of the doors with one push of the button but the only way an owner of a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan can have this automatic door lock feature when the vehicle is in motion removed is by returning to the dealership and have a technician unprogram it using Chrysler's computer software. This is documented in the 2012 owners' manual and has been verified by the Chrysler Customer Assistance Officials and the service manager of the dealership where I made the purchase.