Great Van (especially for the money)
By ryan4904 on
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
Bought this van 2 months ago and it has been great so far. I certainly didn't expect to own a van at the age of 29, but with the kids and the dog, it was necessary. First of all the, the van looks great, inside and out, way better than the other minivans in the class. We test drove the Dodge, Toyota, and Honda minvans, and didn't notice too much of a difference in ride quality, although maybe the Toyota was a little smoother. But then again maybe the only reason I noticed was because I read the reviews ahead of time and expected it. This van is great, and a comparable Honda or Toyota with all the same features costs about $7K or $8K more (the Toyota salesman acknowledged that).
Favorite Features
Minivans are not exacly cool vehicles, but this one looks the manliest out of them all, so if I have to drive one anyway, I want one that looks the best. All the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold smoothly into the floor, so that you can slide a 4x8 sheet of plywood in there without having to remove any seats. Also, the roof rack collapses on the roof when you're not using it. I got a fully loaded van (power doors & liftgate, remote start, leather, etc.), and to get all those features in a Honda or Toyota, I would have paid $7K or $8K more. The Toyota salesman said that was because the Dodge is cheap and the Toyota is higher quality, but I don't buy that. I drove both and love the Dodge.
Suggested Improvements
The 3-zone automatic climate control is tough to figure out, and you really HAVE to read the chapter in the instruction manual. So they could have made it more intuitive. The navigation system isn't so great, so I may just continue to use my Android phone. But its handy if you're in a city and just want to have a map up. The actual gas mileage (measured by how many miles I drove divided by how much gas I put in) is about 2 mpg lower than what the display tells you, so if you think you got 20 mpg, you actually got 18. That's misleading, and I don't know if they do that on purpose to help convince you to buy the car.
By johnnyredknife
on 04/02/12 08:11 AM (PDT)

I think the gas mileage is based on a completely unloaded vehicle with an 80 pound jockey driving it conservatively, but all manufacturers use this ploy. As far as a mini van being unmanly I try to convince myself that I am in a truck and that I haven't been domesticated. Sometimes that works because I bought the basic model. Since yours is more advanced than mine you may want to try convincing youself that you are in a space shuttle.