Just what our family needs....
By mikesr11 on
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
We have owned a windstar, and odyssey in the past, this 2012 grand caravan has them beat. This van has everything we need without breaking the bank. The SXT package is well equipped for our daily needs. The van drives more SUV like, and seems a bit wider than our 04 odyssey. The stow away seats are amazing, and are easily labeled: 1,2,3,4 so anyone who is not familiar with the van can follow the steps to put them into the floor. The stereo has excellent sound quality and is voice activated. The black seats look really nice and modern, and I prefer not having the 8 seats, and keeping the traditional captains chairs in the middle- Its much easier for the kids to get around this way.
Favorite Features
Stow away seats, stereo, all black interior, suv like ride/feel. Voice controls, blue tooth, sliding door power windows.
Suggested Improvements
Rear seats could be a bit thicker, but are adequate.
By johnnyredknife
on 03/20/12 08:41 AM (PDT)

Mike, I can't say how reliabe or dependable these vehicles are. This is my 1st and last Chrysler product. However, I found out after the purchase that 3 neighbors have experienced problems with transmission defects involving Chrysler Products. One was a Town and Country, One was a Chrysler 200 and the 3rd was a pick up. The T&C owner kept paying the bills, the truck owner got rid of it and swore off Chrysler and the 200 owner was informed by the dealership that they would buy it back if he would purchase a much more expensive, upgraded model. I don't know if the 200 owner is too happy either because his is sitting in the driveway just like my Grand Caravan is. As far as the extended warranty goes $3,000.00 seemed high to me but I would have considered it except for the fact that they would not cover anything since I had to have the vehicle modified for wheelchair access. This $16,000.00 upgrade voided any aspects of the extended warranty. And since I needed it for reliability for wheelchair use I can't claim to be too happy. As far as recalls you have to check the NHTSA website or even Edmonds to find out this information. The NHTSA is just now recalling 2004 Ford vehicles for torque converter lock ups which have been reported to cause accidents and injuries with no known fatalities yet documented, so they are slow to respond and our president just bailed the auto makers out with OUR tax dollars so I'm sure given an election year they don't want to advertise these problems.

By johnnyredknife
on 02/27/12 13:01 PM (PST)

Have you checked the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration's 2012 Dodge recalls. That would include the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan for engine defects and the 2012 Dodge Charger for headlight and brake failures. What happened to quality control? It sure gives you a different outlook when it comes to depenability and realibility. Doesn't it? Keep in mind it is still early in 2012.

By commuter11
on 05/17/12 02:06 AM (PDT)

Johnny, I have had experience with two nearly identical Caravans, one stock and one modified for wheelchair use. It is no surprise that Chrysler won't sell an extended warranty for a minivan so modified. My sister-in-law's wheelchair modified van was relatively reliable, but you could tell that the structure had been hugely modified to lower the floor and install the ramp and kneeling feature and swiveling power front seats. Its acceleration was much different because of the resulting greater weight, and it developed lots of rattles very quickly. The electrical system mods made it eat batteries and made a trickle charger our best friend. By contrast, our stock Caravan of same vintage has been smooth and quiet and with decent acceleration.

By johnnyredknife
on 04/06/12 08:32 AM (PDT)

Hey Mike. I just got another recall notice from the NHTSA about the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravans. This one involves hub bearings that were not machined. Maybe you will get one of these notices. Nevertheless, in reference to your lack of concern based on your extended warranty - no warranty is going to help me get an 81 year old woman in a wheelchair across the highway when this vehicle leaves us stranded.

By mikesr11
on 03/15/12 12:40 PM (PDT)

Johnny, my van hasn't been recalled yet- I think it was made after these recalls you mention. Nor have I heard of any major recalls on the news, etc. I bought an extedned warranty that will cover us for as long as we will have the van, so I am not too worried. I'm not even paying for oil changes, etc. So my dealership isn't too bad. Even with the extended warranty I think it is still the best value for a new van. Sure, resale might be a bit lower, but if you are paying over $30K for a similar japanese van it tends to work out to be the same in the long run. Dodge/chrysler usually do have more quality issues but I think the minivans, vans and the trucks might be more reliable than the cars.

By mikesr11
on 04/06/12 14:53 PM (PDT)

Johnny, Thanks for the heads up on the recall. Unfortunately, no car is immune to problems or breakdowns. I've owned dozens of cars, and 3 of them have left me stranded. One on a major Chicago interstate hwy- that was hard to forget. Mostly for stupid issues like flat tires, batteries, or electrical issues. I checked this recall, and it is for 278 Chrysler Town and Country / Dodge Caravan models, made within a 2 week span starting Nov. 15th 2011. I bought mine before then so, I'm good. Also, I double checked the warranty does have road side assistance for 3yrs standard.