Chrysler's core design quality is slipping...
By buddhanature on
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
35,000 miles, Owned for 2 years from new. Dealer sales-lady lied about UConnect and rebate for multi-vehicle purchase. Wouldn't reimburse us either. Drove to Florida from Michigan twice. Cruise control problem - didn't use. Transmission hard shift when first taking off. Used to own '94 Voyager minivan, '03 Intrepid and '98 Sebring convertible. This vehicle has more design problems than the older ones I owned. Had transmission reprogrammed - still bad (even had 3 Chrysler quality engineers ride with me and they said this is normal operation for this vehicle.),wind shear problem, heater blower motor has only low speeds. Original tires only lasted 25,000 miles before no traction in snow.
Favorite Features
I like the larger interior size of the van. And the radio system is an excellent feature - including the satellite and the rear DVD player. In the vehicle’s design defense compared to my other Chrysler vehicles I believe the 2012 Caravan was extremely quiet on the road – with the only exception of a ton of noise in a rainstorm. I average around 20 mpg year round and 24 mpg on my Florida trip. This was comparable with all three of my other vehicles but also has more power than them. Overall the ride is very smooth and the seats in front are very comfortable. I also highly enjoy the rear sliding doors, power rear liftgate, backup camera and stowaway seats.
Suggested Improvements
Chrysler needs to redesign/repair the hard 1st/2nd gear shift of the transmission it uses in this vehicle, Stop the hard downshifting at highway/expressway speeds, Make the Cruise control at least as smooth as other comparable vehicles and make changes to the suspension to severly reduce the poor driving control due to even minor winds. Heater problem - if not due to a malfunction the heater blower motor air speed needs to be severly increased. I think the stowaway roof racks need to go back to the standard roof racks. You can really see all of the quality that was budgeted out of this vehicle. If I wasn't a Chrysler employee I probably wouldn't think twice to buy from a competitor.