Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Very Disappointed..........
By jcarndt

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased new in July of 2012. . I owned a '99 Caravan Sport and it was great. This one is not. When I test drove this one it seemed pretty good. Smooth ride, very quiet, lots of power. 60 days after purchase, the front brakes started squealing. Fixed by dealer. 60 days later, I noticed a clattering/rubbing sound from engine compartment at low speed. Frequency of the noise increased and decreased in time with RPM's. Dealer service manager said it was "normal" for that model year, and they have no idea what it is. So I'm screwed. Clunking/rattling from rear end, one of the heater controls has stopped working. Less than 5000 miles, and it sounds and feels like an old truck...... never again

No idea....maybe better QC. Maybe better training for service department so they can actually diagnose a problem.

It is a Minivan
By objectivejoe

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan American Value Package 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

So far, a reliable and powerful vehicle.

It has more then enough power.

Maybe less power, better fuel mileage.

Outstanding family vehicle!
By califamily

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought ours as our first minivan, coming SUVs, this was a big change. I've been watching the 3.6l closely and it seems great in all vehicles so far. The engineering in this thing is genius, the top loading oil filter makes my life in the garage SO much easier! The level of attention and brilliance transfers to every part of the vehicle. We have 26k on ours so far and loved every minute. 0 problems. It's drivetrain is super smooth, it took a little getting used to but within the first day of ownership, any doubts that we had made the right decision were banished! This is an absolutely amazing family vehicle. We drive the competitors and this was by far most comfortable and most functional.

Stow n go, hiding roof bars, power doors/trunk, super console, 3.6l V6... It's all my favorite

How can you improve perfection??

I thought we were in the 21st century
By jb36

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I'm forced to drive this thing quite often due to my work. I think it's despicable. Interior feels cheap, especially the seat fabric, steering feels barely connected at highway speed, there's very small but constant pitch motion in the rear when there's no load in the back. Brake, like steering is over-servoed, and transmission. It's not a very smooth shift to begin with, but it gets worse and worse as you drive on for a long time, like over 4hrs. It's big sure, and pretty useful, but it's not very clever either. People buy this not because it's cheap - it's not THAT cheap. People buy this I think just because they haven't really tried anything else. It's a throw away.

Usefully big.

I don't understand why this thing is such a big seller in the U.S., it barely sells at all elsewhere. Is it that U.S. consumers don't know better? Or is it just a matter of availability? Suggested improvement? Just drive something else from this century! Just make everything better! I can't care about the machine that apparently the maker didn't care about in the first place.

A lot for the money
By homerkc

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We have 3,500 mi. on our van and it has exceeded many expectations. We took a 2000 mi trip shortly after buying (only 500 break-in miles) and saw 28mpg on the interstate. We can get 20mpg around town (suburban driving) if we watch what we're doing. Very comfortable seats and ride, plenty of power, and the flexibility of the stow n go always amazes. For a very reasonable mid-20s price, it's a lot of car that can do a lot of things (like haul 2 new exterior doors from Home Depot) without any fuss. Once you have had that capability at your disposal, it would be hard to give it up.

very comfortable front seats. Make long trips a breeze.

Minor things, like putting lighted visor mirrors on every model. We bought a SXT -- if we had to do over, we would have gone for a model with more features.