Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Love it
By nateo2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I dont know why people complain about this van ours has 54,000 miles and never had a single problem besides the brakes squealing put better quality rotors on it and have not squealed since has plenty of power and we think its very comfortable all around great van

comfort, good mpgs, plenty of storage, good looking vehicle

Chrysler's core design quality is slipping...
By buddhanature

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

35,000 miles, Owned for 2 years from new. Dealer sales-lady lied about UConnect and rebate for multi-vehicle purchase.
Wouldn't reimburse us either. Drove to Florida from Michigan twice.
Cruise control problem - didn't use.
Transmission hard shift when first taking off. Used to own '94 Voyager minivan, '03 Intrepid and '98 Sebring convertible.
This vehicle has more design problems than the older ones I owned.
Had transmission reprogrammed - still bad (even had 3 Chrysler quality engineers ride with me and they said this is normal operation for this vehicle.),wind shear problem, heater blower motor has only low speeds.
Original tires only lasted 25,000 miles before no traction in snow.

I like the larger interior size of the van. And the radio system is an excellent feature - including the satellite and the rear DVD player. In the vehicle’s design defense compared to my other Chrysler vehicles I believe the 2012 Caravan was extremely quiet on the road – with the only exception of a ton of noise in a rainstorm. I average around 20 mpg year round and 24 mpg on my Florida trip. This was comparable with all three of my other vehicles but also has more power than them. Overall the ride is very smooth and the seats in front are very comfortable. I also highly enjoy the rear sliding doors, power rear liftgate, backup camera and stowaway seats.

Chrysler needs to redesign/repair the hard 1st/2nd gear shift of the transmission it uses in this vehicle, Stop the hard downshifting at highway/expressway speeds, Make the Cruise control at least as smooth as other comparable vehicles and make changes to the suspension to severly reduce the poor driving control due to even minor winds. Heater problem - if not due to a malfunction the heater blower motor air speed needs to be severly increased. I think the stowaway roof racks need to go back to the standard roof racks. You can really see all of the quality that was budgeted out of this vehicle. If I wasn't a Chrysler employee I probably wouldn't think twice to buy from a competitor.

Edmunds appraisal is way off
By stevemcqueen

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I recently sold my 2012 Grand Caravan Crew. It priced out at $17,600 on Edmunds used car appraisal to a private party. I advertised it on AutoTrader for 4 months at $14,500 and the best offer I got in 4 months was $13,500 and I took it. I do not think Edmunds takes into account the huge number of fleet Grand Caravans coming off lease from Hertz, Avis, etc. So if you pay what Edmunds says it is worth, you will lose $3,000 to $4,000 right off the bat on resale.

Stow & go seating. This is the only minivan that has it.

Throttle response, braking, road noise and ride motions all need improvement. Suspension wheel travel and ride height need to be increased. My guess is there is only 2-3 inches of wheel travel and Dodge is trying to accomidate a huge range of passengers and their luggage with insufficient when travel. Ride quality suffers. There is a lot of road noise as well, I was surprised. You do not notice this when taking your little ride at the dealers, but over time this is annoying.

couldnt ask for more
By joecerio

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan American Value Package 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Ok I waited 1 year before posting review. Bought vehicle new in august 2012. Trans recall was right on. fixed prob. sat radio still doesn't work. Other than that this van is perfect in every sense. I am getting good gas mileage, comfort, storage, and hauling capabilities. There seems to be some very picky people out there. This van was way less than the others I checked them all out before buying. Ride may seem a little stiff but for what van can do well worth it. if you want a really smooth ride shell out 60k and get a Cadillac. In my opinion great vehicle for the money. will get another. This is my 4th dodge van. And next body change god willing and the creek don't rise I will get anothe

The very favorite is the stow and go

Would put more 12v outlets that do not need key on to work. Make some camping accessories for van.

Value, Design, Utility
By fdby

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I just bought a 2012 Grand Caravan SXT with 36k miles. So I can't say much about reliability yet. So far I'm impressed with the seating, much improved in 2011 over the previous Stow'n'Go. The DOHC variable-valve-timing engine is very nice and powerful (but still uses 87 octane gas), though I can't imagine it will be as trouble-free, tough, and durable as the old OHV 3.3L dinosaur. Handling is very good. The standard suspension is no longer mushy, but feels more like the old Sport option, yet is quite compliant. Power doors all around work well, but seem pointless to me, as does the key-in-fob arrangement. Fit'n'finish is so-so. There are some very clever options inside.

Stow'n'Go, flexible and usable space, handling, power, interior look, modern engine, clever options inside.

Europe gets to opt for a Diesel. We should too, or a hybrid, or at least a smaller direct-injection engine. With the new engine, Chrysler needs to beef up the transmission and cooling system and uprate towing (about 3,500 lbs) by 1,000 lbs or so. I don't know if Chrysler offered an air compressor, but that option, along with a higher-rated 120V inverter (only 150 watts now) would be nice.