Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Save Your Money Keep Driving when you see the Dodge?Chrysler logo
By dsm35

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Wow what can a consumer say about a vehicle that after 7 years of pmts will be close to 40k. The engine had to be rebuilt at around 22k miles started going out about 10k miles TOO MANY deficiencies to mention. Seriously folks these people DON'T LIKE YOU They want YOUR MONEY. You get what you get with Dodge/Chrysler B.S. 24/7 Great commercials on T.V. Too Bad they Produce POS daily. Mistake Waste of Money

Chrysler's core design quality is slipping...
By buddhanature

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

35,000 miles, Owned for 2 years from new. Dealer sales-lady lied about UConnect and rebate for multi-vehicle purchase. Wouldn't reimburse us either. Drove to Florida from Michigan twice. Cruise control problem - didn't use. Transmission hard shift when first taking off. Used to own '94 Voyager minivan, '03 Intrepid and '98 Sebring convertible. This vehicle has more design problems than the older ones I owned. Had transmission reprogrammed - still bad (even had 3 Chrysler quality engineers ride with me and they said this is normal operation for this vehicle.),wind shear problem, heater blower motor has only low speeds. Original tires only lasted 25,000 miles before no traction in snow.

Favorite Features

I like the larger interior size of the van. And the radio system is an excellent feature - including the satellite and the rear DVD player. In the vehicle’s design defense compared to my other Chrysler vehicles I believe the 2012 Caravan was extremely quiet on the road – with the only exception of a ton of noise in a rainstorm. I average around 20 mpg year round and 24 mpg on my Florida trip. This was comparable with all three of my other vehicles but also has more power than them. Overall the ride is very smooth and the seats in front are very comfortable. I also highly enjoy the rear sliding doors, power rear liftgate, backup camera and stowaway seats.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler needs to redesign/repair the hard 1st/2nd gear shift of the transmission it uses in this vehicle, Stop the hard downshifting at highway/expressway speeds, Make the Cruise control at least as smooth as other comparable vehicles and make changes to the suspension to severly reduce the poor driving control due to even minor winds. Heater problem - if not due to a malfunction the heater blower motor air speed needs to be severly increased. I think the stowaway roof racks need to go back to the standard roof racks. You can really see all of the quality that was budgeted out of this vehicle. If I wasn't a Chrysler employee I probably wouldn't think twice to buy from a competitor.

Enormously disappointed in 2012 Dodge Caravan
By dogleg1

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a new caravan about a month ago. Previously I have owned four Dodge Caravans and liked them. This one has power to burn but the overall quality and design features are very poor in my experience. The accelerator pedal is hard to control and evidently can't be adjusted. The ride is hard and you feel every little bump in the road. The seats are hard too ,I would call them cheap, cheap. When the front seats are pushed back the support frame sticks out and you hit your legs on it. It doesn't come with fender splash guards and the tires throw dirt on the car. I put them on the first few days I had it. The motor and road noise is very bad. Poor sound proofing. More to be said later.

Favorite Features

I like the power and it seems to be good on gas. There is plenty of room in it- probably too much. As was the case for all the caravans the steering is good.

Suggested Improvements

Add splash guards to all models. Redesign the seat support system. Redesign the spare tire storage. Just try getting it out and back in. Put in better quality seats. Design a softer suspension system. Add more sound proofing on firewall and underneath. Transmission shifting needs to be smoother. The van is a bit too long.

Great Van (especially for the money)
By ryan4904

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this van 2 months ago and it has been great so far. I certainly didn't expect to own a van at the age of 29, but with the kids and the dog, it was necessary. First of all the, the van looks great, inside and out, way better than the other minivans in the class. We test drove the Dodge, Toyota, and Honda minvans, and didn't notice too much of a difference in ride quality, although maybe the Toyota was a little smoother. But then again maybe the only reason I noticed was because I read the reviews ahead of time and expected it. This van is great, and a comparable Honda or Toyota with all the same features costs about $7K or $8K more (the Toyota salesman acknowledged that).

Favorite Features

Minivans are not exacly cool vehicles, but this one looks the manliest out of them all, so if I have to drive one anyway, I want one that looks the best. All the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold smoothly into the floor, so that you can slide a 4x8 sheet of plywood in there without having to remove any seats. Also, the roof rack collapses on the roof when you're not using it. I got a fully loaded van (power doors & liftgate, remote start, leather, etc.), and to get all those features in a Honda or Toyota, I would have paid $7K or $8K more. The Toyota salesman said that was because the Dodge is cheap and the Toyota is higher quality, but I don't buy that. I drove both and love the Dodge.

Suggested Improvements

The 3-zone automatic climate control is tough to figure out, and you really HAVE to read the chapter in the instruction manual. So they could have made it more intuitive. The navigation system isn't so great, so I may just continue to use my Android phone. But its handy if you're in a city and just want to have a map up. The actual gas mileage (measured by how many miles I drove divided by how much gas I put in) is about 2 mpg lower than what the display tells you, so if you think you got 20 mpg, you actually got 18. That's misleading, and I don't know if they do that on purpose to help convince you to buy the car.