Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Minivan Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Liked it so much I traded for another.
By Dennis Voorhees

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had 3 minivans since 1989 A Ford Areostar, a Dodge Caravan, Chevy Venture. The Venture was used and a disaster. Dumped a lot of money into it and just got tired of doing so, so I bit the bullet and bought a 2012 Program GC SXT in December 2012. The 2012 van was red and had 28000 miles on it. I drove it to 91,500 miles in just a month under 3 years. Not one lick of problems. A couple recalls though, but nothing serious. Replaced the front brakes at 90k miles, and 1 set of tires at 55k. Replaced the air filter once and did oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles. I did replace the battery, twice though, as I had an aftermarket back up camera installed that didn't shut off the monitor, which ran down the battery a couple times. It was awhile before I caught the problem.
It was quite comfortable on long trips, I drove many 12+ hour days with no issues. I was so happy with this van that I decided to trade it for another nearly identical Red 2015 SXT. The main reason was the 12 was nearing 100k miles, I had another year of traveling planned, and the 6 year 100k warranty was about to expire. I could trade to a 3 year newer with lots lower miles for nearly the same payment. I hope this one will be as trouble free, as the 12. I'm a retired, but active guy, that appreciates the utility of the MiniVan. I highly recommend them.

Update and eating my words.....
By trafficfdr2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to a review I wrote when I bought this van used. Nothing but problems. Great concept but loses all around. The problem with the newer pentaster 6 cylinder engine has has the heads rebuilt, but they won't acknowledge a recall. They will fix it after it breaks. Recall on rear window switch dlr disconnected it Chylr has no solution for it. No rear windows. Really! On a minivan. Brakes are garbage and so are the OEM tires, mine separated. Side rear sliders rub on fenders, no fix, gas cap broken=bad gas mileage. And the piece de resistance the drivers window leaks so when it is rolled down the smell that punches you in the face is unbearable. No solution there either.

Sto n go for box store trips. Integrated roof rails, if equipped. Power rear and side doors.

Total overhaul needed. Van is very cheap all around. Great prices, but that is because they are a fleet vehicle so lower price and No resale value. Handling is blah, and the van rattles as it rolls. Brakes and rotors do not last. And old style antenna, hope you like unscrewing it every time you wash it. Stuck with it and can't lose my shirt on it. I'll be buying a better brand next time around. You get what you pay for...

Love it
By nateo2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I dont know why people complain about this van ours has 54,000 miles and never had a single problem besides the brakes squealing put better quality rotors on it and have not squealed since has plenty of power and we think its very comfortable all around great van

comfort, good mpgs, plenty of storage, good looking vehicle

Value, Design, Utility
By fdby

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I just bought a 2012 Grand Caravan SXT with 36k miles. So I can't say much about reliability yet. So far I'm impressed with the seating, much improved in 2011 over the previous Stow'n'Go. The DOHC variable-valve-timing engine is very nice and powerful (but still uses 87 octane gas), though I can't imagine it will be as trouble-free, tough, and durable as the old OHV 3.3L dinosaur. Handling is very good. The standard suspension is no longer mushy, but feels more like the old Sport option, yet is quite compliant. Power doors all around work well, but seem pointless to me, as does the key-in-fob arrangement. Fit'n'finish is so-so. There are some very clever options inside.

Stow'n'Go, flexible and usable space, handling, power, interior look, modern engine, clever options inside.

Europe gets to opt for a Diesel. We should too, or a hybrid, or at least a smaller direct-injection engine. With the new engine, Chrysler needs to beef up the transmission and cooling system and uprate towing (about 3,500 lbs) by 1,000 lbs or so. I don't know if Chrysler offered an air compressor, but that option, along with a higher-rated 120V inverter (only 150 watts now) would be nice.

Took a gamble and...
By trafficfdr

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a 12 DGC SXT certified used rental vehicle. I know that these are two sins in my book until I
saw price gouging from the other manufacturers. I bought the van for $ 17 K less than the competitor new with less amenities. My van was a year old and had 20 K on the odometer. For insurance reasons I took advantage of Dodge's Lifetime warranty, which does not expire for the entire ownership of the vehicle. Currently we have put 5K on the van and one road trip approx 900 miles, we Averaged 28.9 miles with the Econ button on. Sweet, I never got that in either the '10 Pilot or '11 Cr-v. Btw I was a Honda fanatic.

Power sliding doors and and power lift gate. Integrated roof rails and a nicely equipped center console. The double glove compartments in front. We love the ambient lighting in the cup holders and the front doors. Sto n go seating, Nuff said there. What competitor's van has these amenities for $19k? I loved Hondas but the prices, even used are absurd with a measly warranty. I grew up and stopped keeping up with the Jones'. Now I have a lot more $$$ saved a month and I own it instead of being in that lease rutt.

Please get rid of the old style antennas, enough already, my Kia Rio didn't even have that. I hate nothing more than taking off the antenna for a automatic car wash.