Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Grand Caravan Crew rocks!
By Barry P

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Crew 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

At 65 I have had many cars and trucks and vans, many models. I have 101K miles on this van and it still looks and runs great. Diver seat could travel back a couple more inches for comfort though. I am 6'2". (I once drove a 2013 T&C van and found the seat issue had been addressed.) Rolling on third set of tires, second battery, and has had regular maintenance, washing, waxing. Trans sometimes bangs from reverse to drive, but all these miles and we are still sailing fine. (A local dealer tech told me the trans bang was normal.!?) Everyone loves the inside console and storage areas, and the night time ceiling lighting is cool. Elec seats, tilt/tele wheel, heated seats even in rear, heated steering, rear a/c, USB ports, etc, etc.

Liked it so much I traded for another.
By Dennis Voorhees

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had 3 minivans since 1989 A Ford Areostar, a Dodge Caravan, Chevy Venture. The Venture was used and a disaster. Dumped a lot of money into it and just got tired of doing so, so I bit the bullet and bought a 2012 Program GC SXT in December 2012. The 2012 van was red and had 28000 miles on it. I drove it to 91,500 miles in just a month under 3 years. Not one lick of problems. A couple recalls though, but nothing serious. Replaced the front brakes at 90k miles, and 1 set of tires at 55k. Replaced the air filter once and did oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles. I did replace the battery, twice though, as I had an aftermarket back up camera installed that didn't shut off the monitor, which ran down the battery a couple times. It was awhile before I caught the problem. It was quite comfortable on long trips, I drove many 12+ hour days with no issues. I was so happy with this van that I decided to trade it for another nearly identical Red 2015 SXT. The main reason was the 12 was nearing 100k miles, I had another year of traveling planned, and the 6 year 100k warranty was about to expire. I could trade to a 3 year newer with lots lower miles for nearly the same payment. I hope this one will be as trouble free, as the 12. I'm a retired, but active guy, that appreciates the utility of the MiniVan. I highly recommend them.

Update and eating my words.....
By trafficfdr2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to a review I wrote when I bought this van used. Nothing but problems. Great concept but loses all around. The problem with the newer pentaster 6 cylinder engine has has the heads rebuilt, but they won't acknowledge a recall. They will fix it after it breaks. Recall on rear window switch dlr disconnected it Chylr has no solution for it. No rear windows. Really! On a minivan. Brakes are garbage and so are the OEM tires, mine separated. Side rear sliders rub on fenders, no fix, gas cap broken=bad gas mileage. And the piece de resistance the drivers window leaks so when it is rolled down the smell that punches you in the face is unbearable. No solution there either.

Sto n go for box store trips. Integrated roof rails, if equipped. Power rear and side doors.

Total overhaul needed. Van is very cheap all around. Great prices, but that is because they are a fleet vehicle so lower price and No resale value. Handling is blah, and the van rattles as it rolls. Brakes and rotors do not last. And old style antenna, hope you like unscrewing it every time you wash it. Stuck with it and can't lose my shirt on it. I'll be buying a better brand next time around. You get what you pay for...

Save Your Money Keep Driving when you see the Dodge?Chrysler logo
By dsm35

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Wow what can a consumer say about a vehicle that after 7 years of pmts will be close to 40k. The engine had to be rebuilt at around 22k miles started going out about 10k miles TOO MANY deficiencies to mention. Seriously folks these people DON'T LIKE YOU They want YOUR MONEY. You get what you get with Dodge/Chrysler B.S. 24/7 Great commercials on T.V. Too Bad they Produce POS daily. Mistake Waste of Money

HORRID
By horrid

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Crew 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have went round and round with the dealership and Dodge manufacturing. My van sqeals during the winter, the brakes are horrible, and the transmission is horrible. Two different times I put my car into park (yes I made sure it was in park) and it started rolling and my brakes would not work. My daugher was terrified! The first winter I had this van it was fine, the second winter it started sqealing very loud; you could hear it from inside. My stransmission jerks all of the time and when at a stop my car rattles like it is going to die. Just so you know, I get my car serviced every few months. I have had it in the shop, but they saythey are aware of the issues but not recalls until resolutio

Storage