Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Grand-caravan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Update and eating my words.....
By trafficfdr2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to a review I wrote when I bought this van used. Nothing but problems. Great concept but loses all around. The problem with the newer pentaster 6 cylinder engine has has the heads rebuilt, but they won't acknowledge a recall. They will fix it after it breaks. Recall on rear window switch dlr disconnected it Chylr has no solution for it. No rear windows. Really! On a minivan. Brakes are garbage and so are the OEM tires, mine separated. Side rear sliders rub on fenders, no fix, gas cap broken=bad gas mileage. And the piece de resistance the drivers window leaks so when it is rolled down the smell that punches you in the face is unbearable. No solution there either.

Favorite Features

Sto n go for box store trips. Integrated roof rails, if equipped. Power rear and side doors.

Suggested Improvements

Total overhaul needed. Van is very cheap all around. Great prices, but that is because they are a fleet vehicle so lower price and No resale value. Handling is blah, and the van rattles as it rolls. Brakes and rotors do not last. And old style antenna, hope you like unscrewing it every time you wash it. Stuck with it and can't lose my shirt on it. I'll be buying a better brand next time around. You get what you pay for...

Save Your Money Keep Driving when you see the Dodge?Chrysler logo
By dsm35

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Wow what can a consumer say about a vehicle that after 7 years of pmts will be close to 40k. The engine had to be rebuilt at around 22k miles started going out about 10k miles TOO MANY deficiencies to mention. Seriously folks these people DON'T LIKE YOU They want YOUR MONEY. You get what you get with Dodge/Chrysler B.S. 24/7 Great commercials on T.V. Too Bad they Produce POS daily. Mistake Waste of Money

HORRID
By horrid

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Crew 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have went round and round with the dealership and Dodge manufacturing. My van sqeals during the winter, the brakes are horrible, and the transmission is horrible. Two different times I put my car into park (yes I made sure it was in park) and it started rolling and my brakes would not work. My daugher was terrified! The first winter I had this van it was fine, the second winter it started sqealing very loud; you could hear it from inside. My stransmission jerks all of the time and when at a stop my car rattles like it is going to die. Just so you know, I get my car serviced every few months. I have had it in the shop, but they saythey are aware of the issues but not recalls until resolutio

Favorite Features

Storage

Suggested Improvements

Back your product!!!!!!!!

Love it
By nateo2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I dont know why people complain about this van ours has 54,000 miles and never had a single problem besides the brakes squealing put better quality rotors on it and have not squealed since has plenty of power and we think its very comfortable all around great van

Favorite Features

comfort, good mpgs, plenty of storage, good looking vehicle

Chrysler's core design quality is slipping...
By buddhanature

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan R/T 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

35,000 miles, Owned for 2 years from new. Dealer sales-lady lied about UConnect and rebate for multi-vehicle purchase. Wouldn't reimburse us either. Drove to Florida from Michigan twice. Cruise control problem - didn't use. Transmission hard shift when first taking off. Used to own '94 Voyager minivan, '03 Intrepid and '98 Sebring convertible. This vehicle has more design problems than the older ones I owned. Had transmission reprogrammed - still bad (even had 3 Chrysler quality engineers ride with me and they said this is normal operation for this vehicle.),wind shear problem, heater blower motor has only low speeds. Original tires only lasted 25,000 miles before no traction in snow.

Favorite Features

I like the larger interior size of the van. And the radio system is an excellent feature - including the satellite and the rear DVD player. In the vehicle’s design defense compared to my other Chrysler vehicles I believe the 2012 Caravan was extremely quiet on the road – with the only exception of a ton of noise in a rainstorm. I average around 20 mpg year round and 24 mpg on my Florida trip. This was comparable with all three of my other vehicles but also has more power than them. Overall the ride is very smooth and the seats in front are very comfortable. I also highly enjoy the rear sliding doors, power rear liftgate, backup camera and stowaway seats.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler needs to redesign/repair the hard 1st/2nd gear shift of the transmission it uses in this vehicle, Stop the hard downshifting at highway/expressway speeds, Make the Cruise control at least as smooth as other comparable vehicles and make changes to the suspension to severly reduce the poor driving control due to even minor winds. Heater problem - if not due to a malfunction the heater blower motor air speed needs to be severly increased. I think the stowaway roof racks need to go back to the standard roof racks. You can really see all of the quality that was budgeted out of this vehicle. If I wasn't a Chrysler employee I probably wouldn't think twice to buy from a competitor.