Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Liked it so much I traded for another.
By Dennis Voorhees

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had 3 minivans since 1989 A Ford Areostar, a Dodge Caravan, Chevy Venture. The Venture was used and a disaster. Dumped a lot of money into it and just got tired of doing so, so I bit the bullet and bought a 2012 Program GC SXT in December 2012. The 2012 van was red and had 28000 miles on it. I drove it to 91,500 miles in just a month under 3 years. Not one lick of problems. A couple recalls though, but nothing serious. Replaced the front brakes at 90k miles, and 1 set of tires at 55k. Replaced the air filter once and did oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles. I did replace the battery, twice though, as I had an aftermarket back up camera installed that didn't shut off the monitor, which ran down the battery a couple times. It was awhile before I caught the problem.
It was quite comfortable on long trips, I drove many 12+ hour days with no issues. I was so happy with this van that I decided to trade it for another nearly identical Red 2015 SXT. The main reason was the 12 was nearing 100k miles, I had another year of traveling planned, and the 6 year 100k warranty was about to expire. I could trade to a 3 year newer with lots lower miles for nearly the same payment. I hope this one will be as trouble free, as the 12. I'm a retired, but active guy, that appreciates the utility of the MiniVan. I highly recommend them.

Update and eating my words.....
By trafficfdr2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to a review I wrote when I bought this van used. Nothing but problems. Great concept but loses all around. The problem with the newer pentaster 6 cylinder engine has has the heads rebuilt, but they won't acknowledge a recall. They will fix it after it breaks. Recall on rear window switch dlr disconnected it Chylr has no solution for it. No rear windows. Really! On a minivan. Brakes are garbage and so are the OEM tires, mine separated. Side rear sliders rub on fenders, no fix, gas cap broken=bad gas mileage. And the piece de resistance the drivers window leaks so when it is rolled down the smell that punches you in the face is unbearable. No solution there either.

Update:2016 Sold it, lost a lot of money. Nothing but problems.

Love it
By nateo2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I dont know why people complain about this van ours has 54,000 miles and never had a single problem besides the brakes squealing put better quality rotors on it and have not squealed since has plenty of power and we think its very comfortable all around great van

comfort, good mpgs, plenty of storage, good looking vehicle

Value, Design, Utility
By fdby

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I just bought a 2012 Grand Caravan SXT with 36k miles. So I can't say much about reliability yet. So far I'm impressed with the seating, much improved in 2011 over the previous Stow'n'Go. The DOHC variable-valve-timing engine is very nice and powerful (but still uses 87 octane gas), though I can't imagine it will be as trouble-free, tough, and durable as the old OHV 3.3L dinosaur. Handling is very good. The standard suspension is no longer mushy, but feels more like the old Sport option, yet is quite compliant. Power doors all around work well, but seem pointless to me, as does the key-in-fob arrangement. Fit'n'finish is so-so. There are some very clever options inside.

Stow'n'Go, flexible and usable space, handling, power, interior look, modern engine, clever options inside.

Europe gets to opt for a Diesel. We should too, or a hybrid, or at least a smaller direct-injection engine. With the new engine, Chrysler needs to beef up the transmission and cooling system and uprate towing (about 3,500 lbs) by 1,000 lbs or so. I don't know if Chrysler offered an air compressor, but that option, along with a higher-rated 120V inverter (only 150 watts now) would be nice.

paid a gamble and...paid dearly
By trafficfdr

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a 12 DGC SXT certified used rental vehicle, biggest mistake ever. I have never owned a vehicle with so many problems and recalls. Do not buy this vehicle, I lost a lot of money in maintenance and sold it at a loss for my families safety. Anything else is better. I went back to Honda.