Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Grand-caravan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Update and eating my words.....
By trafficfdr2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to a review I wrote when I bought this van used. Nothing but problems. Great concept but loses all around. The problem with the newer pentaster 6 cylinder engine has has the heads rebuilt, but they won't acknowledge a recall. They will fix it after it breaks. Recall on rear window switch dlr disconnected it Chylr has no solution for it. No rear windows. Really! On a minivan. Brakes are garbage and so are the OEM tires, mine separated. Side rear sliders rub on fenders, no fix, gas cap broken=bad gas mileage. And the piece de resistance the drivers window leaks so when it is rolled down the smell that punches you in the face is unbearable. No solution there either.

Favorite Features

Sto n go for box store trips. Integrated roof rails, if equipped. Power rear and side doors.

Suggested Improvements

Total overhaul needed. Van is very cheap all around. Great prices, but that is because they are a fleet vehicle so lower price and No resale value. Handling is blah, and the van rattles as it rolls. Brakes and rotors do not last. And old style antenna, hope you like unscrewing it every time you wash it. Stuck with it and can't lose my shirt on it. I'll be buying a better brand next time around. You get what you pay for...

Love it
By nateo2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I dont know why people complain about this van ours has 54,000 miles and never had a single problem besides the brakes squealing put better quality rotors on it and have not squealed since has plenty of power and we think its very comfortable all around great van

Favorite Features

comfort, good mpgs, plenty of storage, good looking vehicle

Value, Design, Utility
By fdby

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I just bought a 2012 Grand Caravan SXT with 36k miles. So I can't say much about reliability yet. So far I'm impressed with the seating, much improved in 2011 over the previous Stow'n'Go. The DOHC variable-valve-timing engine is very nice and powerful (but still uses 87 octane gas), though I can't imagine it will be as trouble-free, tough, and durable as the old OHV 3.3L dinosaur. Handling is very good. The standard suspension is no longer mushy, but feels more like the old Sport option, yet is quite compliant. Power doors all around work well, but seem pointless to me, as does the key-in-fob arrangement. Fit'n'finish is so-so. There are some very clever options inside.

Favorite Features

Stow'n'Go, flexible and usable space, handling, power, interior look, modern engine, clever options inside.

Suggested Improvements

Europe gets to opt for a Diesel. We should too, or a hybrid, or at least a smaller direct-injection engine. With the new engine, Chrysler needs to beef up the transmission and cooling system and uprate towing (about 3,500 lbs) by 1,000 lbs or so. I don't know if Chrysler offered an air compressor, but that option, along with a higher-rated 120V inverter (only 150 watts now) would be nice.

Took a gamble and...
By trafficfdr

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a 12 DGC SXT certified used rental vehicle. I know that these are two sins in my book until I saw price gouging from the other manufacturers. I bought the van for $ 17 K less than the competitor new with less amenities. My van was a year old and had 20 K on the odometer. For insurance reasons I took advantage of Dodge's Lifetime warranty, which does not expire for the entire ownership of the vehicle. Currently we have put 5K on the van and one road trip approx 900 miles, we Averaged 28.9 miles with the Econ button on. Sweet, I never got that in either the '10 Pilot or '11 Cr-v. Btw I was a Honda fanatic.

Favorite Features

Power sliding doors and and power lift gate. Integrated roof rails and a nicely equipped center console. The double glove compartments in front. We love the ambient lighting in the cup holders and the front doors. Sto n go seating, Nuff said there. What competitor's van has these amenities for $19k? I loved Hondas but the prices, even used are absurd with a measly warranty. I grew up and stopped keeping up with the Jones'. Now I have a lot more $$$ saved a month and I own it instead of being in that lease rutt.

Suggested Improvements

Please get rid of the old style antennas, enough already, my Kia Rio didn't even have that. I hate nothing more than taking off the antenna for a automatic car wash.

Hate This Van More Every Day
By dogleg1

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After over seven months driving this van I can't wait to get rid of it. It has to be the roughest ride ever and the road and motor noise comes right into the car.You feel every little bump: it rides like a lumber wagon. Chrysler and the dealer (Mac Lang in Ontario , Canada) don't care. The new suspension system is a design failure. Chrysler needs to redesign this van and rebate the current owners. What a rip-off. Previously I owned five Caravans and liked them fine. Not this one.

Favorite Features

nil

Suggested Improvements

see above