2012 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Love it
By nateo2 on 04/03/14 16:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I dont know why people complain about this van ours has 54,000 miles and never had a single problem besides the brakes squealing put better quality rotors on it and have not squealed since has plenty of power and we think its very comfortable all around great van

Value, Design, Utility
By fdby on 07/08/13 14:16 PM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I just bought a 2012 Grand Caravan SXT with 36k miles. So I can't say much about reliability yet. So far I'm impressed with the seating, much improved in 2011 over the previous Stow'n'Go. The DOHC variable-valve-timing engine is very nice and powerful (but still uses 87 octane gas), though I can't imagine it will be as trouble-free, tough, and durable as the old OHV 3.3L dinosaur. Handling is very good. The standard suspension is no longer mushy, but feels more like the old Sport option, yet is quite compliant. Power doors all around work well, but seem pointless to me, as does the key-in-fob arrangement. Fit'n'finish is so-so. There are some very clever options inside.

Took a gamble and...
By trafficfdr on 06/14/13 20:59 PM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a 12 DGC SXT certified used rental vehicle. I know that these are two sins in my book until I saw price gouging from the other manufacturers. I bought the van for $ 17 K less than the competitor new with less amenities. My van was a year old and had 20 K on the odometer. For insurance reasons I took advantage of Dodge's Lifetime warranty, which does not expire for the entire ownership of the vehicle. Currently we have put 5K on the van and one road trip approx 900 miles, we Averaged 28.9 miles with the Econ button on. Sweet, I never got that in either the '10 Pilot or '11 Cr-v. Btw I was a Honda fanatic.

Hate This Van More Every Day
By dogleg1 on 04/23/13 17:37 PM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After over seven months driving this van I can't wait to get rid of it. It has to be the roughest ride ever and the road and motor noise comes right into the car.You feel every little bump: it rides like a lumber wagon. Chrysler and the dealer (Mac Lang in Ontario , Canada) don't care. The new suspension system is a design failure. Chrysler needs to redesign this van and rebate the current owners. What a rip-off. Previously I owned five Caravans and liked them fine. Not this one.

Very Disappointed..........
By jcarndt on 02/09/13 11:06 AM (PST)

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased new in July of 2012. . I owned a '99 Caravan Sport and it was great. This one is not. When I test drove this one it seemed pretty good. Smooth ride, very quiet, lots of power. 60 days after purchase, the front brakes started squealing. Fixed by dealer. 60 days later, I noticed a clattering/rubbing sound from engine compartment at low speed. Frequency of the noise increased and decreased in time with RPM's. Dealer service manager said it was "normal" for that model year, and they have no idea what it is. So I'm screwed. Clunking/rattling from rear end, one of the heater controls has stopped working. Less than 5000 miles, and it sounds and feels like an old truck...... never again

Outstanding family vehicle!
By califamily on 12/19/12 00:14 AM (PST)

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought ours as our first minivan, coming SUVs, this was a big change. I've been watching the 3.6l closely and it seems great in all vehicles so far. The engineering in this thing is genius, the top loading oil filter makes my life in the garage SO much easier! The level of attention and brilliance transfers to every part of the vehicle. We have 26k on ours so far and loved every minute. 0 problems. It's drivetrain is super smooth, it took a little getting used to but within the first day of ownership, any doubts that we had made the right decision were banished! This is an absolutely amazing family vehicle. We drive the competitors and this was by far most comfortable and most functional.

I thought we were in the 21st century
By jb36 on 12/10/12 07:23 AM (PST)

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I'm forced to drive this thing quite often due to my work. I think it's despicable. Interior feels cheap, especially the seat fabric, steering feels barely connected at highway speed, there's very small but constant pitch motion in the rear when there's no load in the back. Brake, like steering is over-servoed, and transmission. It's not a very smooth shift to begin with, but it gets worse and worse as you drive on for a long time, like over 4hrs. It's big sure, and pretty useful, but it's not very clever either. People buy this not because it's cheap - it's not THAT cheap. People buy this I think just because they haven't really tried anything else. It's a throw away.

A lot for the money
By homerkc on 11/25/12 05:55 AM (PST)

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We have 3,500 mi. on our van and it has exceeded many expectations. We took a 2000 mi trip shortly after buying (only 500 break-in miles) and saw 28mpg on the interstate. We can get 20mpg around town (suburban driving) if we watch what we're doing. Very comfortable seats and ride, plenty of power, and the flexibility of the stow n go always amazes. For a very reasonable mid-20s price, it's a lot of car that can do a lot of things (like haul 2 new exterior doors from Home Depot) without any fuss. Once you have had that capability at your disposal, it would be hard to give it up.

Very comfortable cruiser
By homerkc on 10/02/12 18:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We've had the SXT van for a month, incl. one 2000 mi. trip, and it is great! We saw 28mpg on the highway (both by the dash display and by calculation at fill-up), 18-20 in town. For a van with the comfort and flexible space it offers, the mileage is terrific. It's also nice to drive; not too 'floaty' over bumps, good steering feel. And the power from the pentastar engine is strong. All in all, I'd buy another without question.

Worst Minivan Ever
By facelessdrone on 01/03/12 16:54 PM (PST)

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Spent 8 days and 1500 miles with this turkey as a rental. My 1993 Chevy Lumina APV anteater was way better. Extremely poor in many respects. Transmission constantly in wrong gear. Lugs and won't downshift when trying to accelerate, then suddenly shifts 3 gears and overrevs. Jerky throttle response causes tires to chirp at any sharp intersection even at slow speeds. Instrument panel lights come on, misleading you into thinking the headlights are actually on. There is an "Econ" button; I could never tell what it did since performance was unaffected. The button to turn off stability control is at the bottom right of the instrument panel so a child can turn it off. Smart move, Dodge.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan in VA is:

$141 per month*