Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Engine heads are brain dead
By Rick

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Been waiting for my vehicle to be repaired now for 3 weeks. Dealership says parts are not available. 6 cyl engine needed new heads, rockers, lifters and other stuff. Car has 97,000 miles. This is the second time to have head replaced (first time at 46,000) . Obviously a bad engine design or bad install with the previous head or possibly the head is simply brain dead. It does say something about the supply chain if the dealerships can not get the replacement parts. Obviously many more failures than anticipated. No recall on the engine but the dealership said the warranty has been extended out to 10 years/150,000 miles for the heads which, I assume, is their way of telling me that the head will fail again in 50,000 miles. Figure I'll have it repaired again around 145,000 if history is my guide. I believe they have some serious issues with the 6 cylinder engine but simply won't admit it.

And you thought owning a Ford was bad guess again
By Cindy Watson

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Impressive rental then I bought one. Never again! Too many recalls & constant repairs- left bank 2 cylinder head recall without it for 5 days being replaced has to complain and got approval rental car for one day, rear quarter vent window switch recall P25/NHTSA 14V-234 took forever to get inventory to dealer , brakes -front pads and rotors @ 12,000, rear pads & rotors @ 31,840, front and rear pads and rotors @ 46,378, front pads & rotors @ 63,281, rear pads & rotors @ 72,300, possibly front again but asking local service why needed again only after 9,000 miles, cold air blowing out vents when set at heat (star notice possible fix soon) & radio shuts off on own and clears all the settings @ 17,200, recall M38 reprogram power train control module, power door sliding module reprogram @ 16,500. Moisture in front headlights @37,232 -fogging fine and if droplets replace service bulletin-08-086-13, New tires 37,232. Ever since left cylinder replaced has no power to deal with minor inclines in local city driving. Apparently the brakes designed cannot accommodate what the van really needs. First and last Doge I will ever own. I owned 5 Fords prior different types but nothing this bad except the Windstar due electrical or computer issue with engine never able to figure out. My second and last van I will own.

Grand Caravan Crew rocks!
By Barry P

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

At 65 I have had many cars and trucks and vans, many models.
I have 101K miles on this van and it still looks and runs great. Diver seat could travel back a couple more inches for comfort though. I am 6'2". (I once drove a 2013 T&C van and found the seat issue had been addressed.)
Rolling on third set of tires, second battery, and has had regular maintenance, washing, waxing.
Trans sometimes bangs from reverse to drive, but all these miles and we are still sailing fine. (A local dealer tech told me the trans bang was normal.!?)
Everyone loves the inside console and storage areas, and the night time ceiling lighting is cool. Elec seats, tilt/tele wheel, heated seats even in rear, heated steering, rear a/c, USB ports, etc, etc.

Liked it so much I traded for another.
By Dennis Voorhees

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had 3 minivans since 1989 A Ford Areostar, a Dodge Caravan, Chevy Venture. The Venture was used and a disaster. Dumped a lot of money into it and just got tired of doing so, so I bit the bullet and bought a 2012 Program GC SXT in December 2012. The 2012 van was red and had 28000 miles on it. I drove it to 91,500 miles in just a month under 3 years. Not one lick of problems. A couple recalls though, but nothing serious. Replaced the front brakes at 90k miles, and 1 set of tires at 55k. Replaced the air filter once and did oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles. I did replace the battery, twice though, as I had an aftermarket back up camera installed that didn't shut off the monitor, which ran down the battery a couple times. It was awhile before I caught the problem.
It was quite comfortable on long trips, I drove many 12+ hour days with no issues. I was so happy with this van that I decided to trade it for another nearly identical Red 2015 SXT. The main reason was the 12 was nearing 100k miles, I had another year of traveling planned, and the 6 year 100k warranty was about to expire. I could trade to a 3 year newer with lots lower miles for nearly the same payment. I hope this one will be as trouble free, as the 12. I'm a retired, but active guy, that appreciates the utility of the MiniVan. I highly recommend them.

Update and eating my words.....
By trafficfdr2

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to a review I wrote when I bought this van used. Nothing but problems. Great concept but loses all around. The problem with the newer pentaster 6 cylinder engine has has the heads rebuilt, but they won't acknowledge a recall. They will fix it after it breaks. Recall on rear window switch dlr disconnected it Chylr has no solution for it. No rear windows. Really! On a minivan. Brakes are garbage and so are the OEM tires, mine separated. Side rear sliders rub on fenders, no fix, gas cap broken=bad gas mileage. And the piece de resistance the drivers window leaks so when it is rolled down the smell that punches you in the face is unbearable. No solution there either.

Update:2016 Sold it, lost a lot of money. Nothing but problems.