10 months and 15k miles later
By stekicar on
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
No problems until 11430 miles. Check engine light came on with P0128 indicating stuck thermostat. Took it to the dealership and they told me that it was not the thermostat but computer which did not know how to act on some data. They did the update on computer and immediately I noticed that transmission shifted from first to second gear with a "thud" sound while Econ button was on. When Econ button was off transmission was shifting from 1st to 2nd gear smooth but from 2nd to 3rd with hesitation (shudder). I thought it is because when they flashed computer everything was lost so computer had to learn all parameters again. Well, after 3500 miles nothing changed and I took it to dealership.
Favorite Features
... They performed "quick learn to transmission" which solved the problem (did this today - will monitor). Other problem is that there is a pronounced wind sound, next to the ear on both front doors. Louder music half-solves that problem. No other problems. Silver paint is very scratch resistant. Windshield fluid sprayers work very good. Power side doors, rear door and all electrical equipment works without problems. Phone bluetooth works ok. Voice command barely works - hit and miss. Music streaming through the bluetooth is useless. Simply does not work. I compared all of this with our 2012 Sonata and there everything works seamlessly with all the phones we have. Voice command included.
Suggested Improvements
Transmission. It has 6 speeds and it shifts worse than my three speed 1996 Grand Caravan with 285k miles (at least for first three gears). I cannot believe that Chrysler still does not know how to make transmission - the main reason we took it on a lease instead of purchase. I guess, this is why new Dodge Dart will have transmission from Hyundai. Second thing is FUEL ECONOMY. Overall MPG is 20.5 (our 1996 GC overall mpg is 21.5). Best we had was 23.95 mpg (driving 65mph in Canada) and worst was 18.02 mpg (mostly city). Overall, we are satisfied with a minivan and how it performs (everything considered). I will come back with more reviews after 30k miles. Hopefully good ones.
By stekicar
on 05/13/12 18:07 PM (PDT)

Small update. Econ button is a joke. Transmission is still shifting with "thud" sound so I gave up on "fuel economy" with this van. Driving with Econ button turned off. Overall average mpg after 1 year is 22.13.

By stekicar
on 05/26/12 05:49 AM (PDT)

Another update. I finally made bluetooth streaming to work. I have found uconnect.upd file on internet and did an update on the unit. Now it works perfect. No need for XM or Sirrius. Streaming music through our 4G phone is perfect.