Meet Babe, the Blue Ox.
By sailorbeavis on
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)
Got this Pearl Water Blue SE with a two-tone interior in March 2010 as a work truck. It replaced a 2006 Caravan. Dodge made some improvements and fell short in others. The van handles better thanks to bigger tires and minor suspension improvements, but the 3.3L engine is a dog coupled to the four-speed transmission. If I had a choice I would've gone for the 3.8L; you are not going anywhere fast in this van. Once up to speed it's reasonably stout and stable, and road noise is minimal. I love the Stow 'n Go and the additional storage places, but the cheap plastic on this car inside and out scratches/marks easily and is not as nice-looking as my old van, nor is it holding up as well.
Favorite Features
Stow 'n Go is the major selling point for this vehicle, as no other competitor offers anything exactly like it. This vehicle can go from being a people-hauler to a cargo hauler in ten minutes or less. That's impressive and often necessary for families who only can afford one car. As a work truck it beats driving a big cargo van or a pickup, but the seats are not comfortable enough for driving all day (and my driving time is sometimes 80% of the day). I can understand no adjustable lumbar support on a Ford Fiesta or a Kia Rio. But on a $25,000 minivan? That's an insult.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the cheap look of the van (already, largely, done in the 2012 redux) inside and out. Retire the archaic engines (again, fixed for 2012) and improve the climate control system, which is pathetic at best. Standard USB integration would be nice, as would manual lumbar adjustment on the basic seats.