Used 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Mr.
By Al

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have the 4.0 Liter. It is very smooth and powerful. The ride is a bit sporty which I like and the phone interface is great. I had really wanted the Chrysler limited but I couldn't justify the extra $$. About the only thing I don't care for is the fake leather seating which is mediocre vinyl.

I bought for the stow and go and they work great. I have the power 3rd row tilting seats. A very nice feature.

Better quality seating material. I like the ones in the Chrysler limited.

Brakes
By markcanada

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is nice to drive and very comfortable. The acceleration of the motor when taking off is very slow. Brakes and rotors on the vehicle had to be changed on the front after 23000km.The back brakes were fixed on this day at 24000km, due to the squealing on the back passenger side and it turns out the pads were cracked and chipped. There was quite a bit of the pads left in the back brakes. Called Chrysler about it and waiting to see what happens. My mechanic and car part supplier of the new brakes said they have seen a lot of theses problems.

Our fav parts about the vehicle are the stow & go seats and the swivel of the quads. The handling of the van is very good.

The things I know could be fixed are the brake pads, more power in engine without going to a bigger engine.

Sqweak sqweak sqweak
By JIM

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have had the van in two times winter and summer for the squeaking sliding doors. This is the fourth Dodge I have bought and will be looking to trade it in asap for an import. Very cheap inside. Rear windows don't open except by going back to do it. Would I recommend this to a friend? No I wpould not even recommend to my enemies.

Listen to your disatisfied customers. Take a lesson from the imports, and don't depend on customers tax dollars to help you out. Earn the right for people to buy off you.

rather have a Honda
By Yakd

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

The touchscreen has already stopped working, the day after we bought it. The culprit is faulty software, but of course Dodge does nothing until they have to, there goes another day wasted at the dealership. A new screen has to be ordered. A plastic piece snapped off of one of the stow n go seats. The storage bin on the back of the drivers seat keeps popping out. The interior looks very cheap given what we paid for this van. The material used on the seats, as well as the cushions, probably won't wear well. No wonder the company is in trouble. So why didn't we buy a Honda? Husband thinks they're overpriced.

back up camera

Use quality materials for interior, fix engine/transmission reliability issues.

I'm a Bit Disappointed
By Dave

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle because my wife saw one on the highway and liked the looks of it. I would have preferred the styling of the Chrysler Town and Country, but this was better bargain because it came with so many extra features, including one I didn't especially want--the 3.8 engine. I noticed a few days ago that the rear seat back have rust stains on them. We have had absolutely nothing in the rear well that could have done that. Under each stain, I can feel some sort of metal bar, which I believe may be the source of these ugly discolorations. I will check this out with my dealership the next time I go in for service.

The Stow and Go feature is amazing, although it is a bit of a hassle to stow the middle seats because the front seats have to be slid all the way forward to do it. Interior lighting is nice. I really like the dashboard design. The jury is still out on the dashboard-mounted shifter.

In my opinion, the gas mileage is poor. While it is rated at 16 city and 23 highway, our mixed driving has never resulted in anything better than 16.5 mpg. We have yet to take an open highway trip, which, hopefully, will be a bit better.