Used 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Not my Vanagon but pretty darn good
By gsned57

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this one the first day of the bailout when Chrysler said they'd match the C4C money. Traded in my 86 Vanagon and got a $29K van for $17,5. I never thought I'd buy a chrysler product and really loved my VW, but there were a lot of things that needed fixing and with a new baby I wanted something safer for her. I test drove the Japanese and Korean vans and I can't see why anyone would pay 2X as much for one of them. Stow and Go is the single greatest feature. I've already hauled full sheets of plywood in the van and also carried 7 people on a moments notice. We'll see what happens in terms of reliability but I've driven 2 1000 mile trips and it's been great.

Stow and Go can turn it from a people hauler to a truck in seconds. So much more versatility than an SUV or even a truck. I also added a tow hitch for a trailer so now I'm set. The DVD player and mygig are a lot of fun. Never thought I'd need them but I like it.

For any automaker out there, Bring back a camper minivan like the 80's VW vanagons. I want a poptop so I can easily sleep 4 in the van. Especially in a recession Camping is America's pass time. A mini sink, stove, fridge, and stow/go with a poptop and I'd spend $35K on that in a second!!!

My fifth Dodge/Chrysler minivan
By Autoplay2

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this van before the 'Clunker Program', but got a great deal anyways. Wanted a 4.0, but could not find one in the color wife wanted. The 3.8L does fine, it's what I had in my other 4 minivans (2 97's, 98, 2000). Finally getting used to the no key and in-dash shifter. The van has plenty of power, the 3.8 is more than sufficient with the 6 speed. Thought I'd get a little better gas mileage with the 4.0L, but getting 16 with the 3.8L (1100 miles)in mixed driving, but city has lots of stop and go. We're in Texas, so the A/C has never been off yet, maybe in Dec we'll see the MPG go up some. First time I've had to actually read the manual to find out how a lot of the features work!

Interior lighting, side door windows that go down, power side doors, Sirius radio, 2 glove compartments, separate driver/passenger heating/cooling controls, full length overhead console with lots of storage, cup holders everywhere, styled wheels

Still in break-in period, but was hoping for better gas mileage with a 6 speed trans. Straighter sides means it's a tighter fit in the garage doors for the side mirrors than with my other vans.

Best bang for your buck
By jsklyar

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I mainly purchased this vehicle for spacious cargo and also ability to haul 7 people. Car looks nice as well. Of course, generous incentives helped as well. So far, the vehicle is top notch, no complains. Drove on a highway and averaged 26mpg, about 18.5mpg in the city. Though, several things I wish this car would have: daytime running lights (even my old Astro had it), interior lights can only be lit up all at once. Basic engine is somewhat weak but I did not purchase this to win races. Cheesy green light readouts, it is time to join 21st century. No instant mpg, too bad. Seats fold into the floor: excellent idea. Go get one today!

Stow-n-go seats, visibility, good mileage, comfortable seats, lots of interior room.

Daytime-running lights, cheesy green light readouts, instrument cluster warning lights should not be in the middle, move them out left or right. Add up/down seat adjuster, not just recline and forward/backward. Cooling vents have limited range. Add telescoping wheel.

Mr.
By Al

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have the 4.0 Liter. It is very smooth and powerful. The ride is a bit sporty which I like and the phone interface is great. I had really wanted the Chrysler limited but I couldn't justify the extra $$. About the only thing I don't care for is the fake leather seating which is mediocre vinyl.

I bought for the stow and go and they work great. I have the power 3rd row tilting seats. A very nice feature.

Better quality seating material. I like the ones in the Chrysler limited.

Brakes
By markcanada

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is nice to drive and very comfortable. The acceleration of the motor when taking off is very slow. Brakes and rotors on the vehicle had to be changed on the front after 23000km.The back brakes were fixed on this day at 24000km, due to the squealing on the back passenger side and it turns out the pads were cracked and chipped. There was quite a bit of the pads left in the back brakes. Called Chrysler about it and waiting to see what happens. My mechanic and car part supplier of the new brakes said they have seen a lot of theses problems.

Our fav parts about the vehicle are the stow & go seats and the swivel of the quads. The handling of the van is very good.

The things I know could be fixed are the brake pads, more power in engine without going to a bigger engine.