Used 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

NO MAS!
By jedi651

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We tried to love it, but just couldn't deal with the dealer (white Bear lake, Mn) who guessed on every repaired needed. Long story short, we bought the van used. clean carfax. great the first week. second week was a disaster. van would die 3-5 times daily was exiting the hwy. while operating at 30mph the van would become very sluggish, then die when coming to a stop. replaced spark plugs, MAP sensor, throttle body didn't change a thing. brought in to the dealer to figure it out. diagnosed that the WIN module was faulty and needed to be replaced.(not part of the recall) asked why its sluggish, dealer didn't know. finally just gave up and traded it in for a Honda. People be advised, stay away!

Favorite Features

4.0, entertainment system. stow and go.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts too hard. vehicle needs to be reprogrammed to be up to date on current health status and only the dealer can do this update. keyless ignition is garbage! Chrysler/Dodge needs to own up to the whole WIN module unit and not just the detent ring. lives are at risk driving in and around these vehicles everyday!

I wish I could recommend it... but I can't
By mrpyromaniac

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the 3.8L SXT version, only have 33k on it. Having the transmission rebuilt right now. My wife drives this van around our small town, and we take weekend trips. It's well taken care of. We've had to have ALL the brakes replaced three times now, the tires are pretty much shot because of the brake problems, and there is a bad motor mount, and now the transmission. The engine is great, and the features and interior are phenomenal, but with the brake problems and now the transmission, clearly the build quality leaves much to be desired. That's why a Toyota is 20k more...

Favorite Features

Interior is very roomy, the stow and go seating is amazing, the seat fabric is easy to wash and remove stains from, the 3.8L engine gives great power, the van handles well (when the brakes are not catching... which is most of the time), the sound system is good, the seats are comfortable, the automatic doors and rear hatch are convenient.

Suggested Improvements

After 33k miles of easy driving, the front brake pads should need to be replaced, That's about all. We've had to have all the calipers, rotors, and pads replaced three times, which is bad enough that there should be a recall and new brakes manufactured and fitted to replace the current non-funtional design. I bought the van so I wouldn't have to worry about having vehicles fixed all the time, that plan did not work out well. Chrysler extended the warranty on the front wheel bearings, clearly because those are defective. The transmission blew up already, and a motor mount is bad.. the build quality... not so good. Also, my 93 volvo I drove had auto headlights, this van doesn't.

Family Hauler
By torinoman

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We have the 4.0 engine and it performs great. This van is the only way to travel with your family. However, Dodge needs to get some thing right. The brake rotors started going bad at 15,000 miles and Dodge would not honor the warranty. They wanted $100 to fix their problem. Next, the Bridgestone tires on the van are garbage (nearly worn out at 20,000 miles). The air conditioner fan motor goes out after a while (however it will work after stopping the van and restarting a short while later). The radio conked out in the first year. A good vehicle with some minor changes would be a great vehicle. Dodge needs to step up and cover their mistakes.

Favorite Features

Entertainment system is nice, tons of cup holders, halo lighting, and good looks (the 17" wheels look great). Easy vehicle to service, all service points are easily seen.

Suggested Improvements

Better fit and finish, occasionally I have to go around the vehicle and push the bumper covers back in place (the corners wand to stick out). Quit using cheap tires, brake parts, and so much plastic in the interior. Subtle improvements would make this a great vehicle. We have 44,000 miles on the vehicle (purchased new) with the lifetime powertrain warranty. I hope the company will back the warranty if we ever need it (I tend to keep a car between 200,000 to 300,000 miles).

09 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L
By Davemc83

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. I cannot say enough about it. We travel cross country from New Mexico to Michigan twice a year (pulling a pop-up camper) and we are very pleased with the performance and comfort of our new van. If you are in the market for a new vehicle and need to cart kids around town and still need room left in the vehicle for your whatnots, then skip the gas guzzling SUV's and go for this van, this is not the soccer mom van of the 90's. Dodge has done a great job upgrading every feature to make this a very desireable vehicle for people who want comfort and practicality.

Favorite Features

Power doors, tailgating rearseats (Used for 4th July), A/C power outlet for DVD player, unlimited storage space with fold and go seats. We fit a washer and Dryer in the back of this thing.

Suggested Improvements

we have owned our van for a year now and have not yet found a single thing that needed to be improved on. My only suggestion is to get the towing package pre-installed prior to purchasing this vehicle if you plan on towing anything. IT's worth it.

My fifth Dodge/Chrysler minivan
By Autoplay2

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this van before the 'Clunker Program', but got a great deal anyways. Wanted a 4.0, but could not find one in the color wife wanted. The 3.8L does fine, it's what I had in my other 4 minivans (2 97's, 98, 2000). Finally getting used to the no key and in-dash shifter. The van has plenty of power, the 3.8 is more than sufficient with the 6 speed. Thought I'd get a little better gas mileage with the 4.0L, but getting 16 with the 3.8L (1100 miles)in mixed driving, but city has lots of stop and go. We're in Texas, so the A/C has never been off yet, maybe in Dec we'll see the MPG go up some. First time I've had to actually read the manual to find out how a lot of the features work!

Favorite Features

Interior lighting, side door windows that go down, power side doors, Sirius radio, 2 glove compartments, separate driver/passenger heating/cooling controls, full length overhead console with lots of storage, cup holders everywhere, styled wheels

Suggested Improvements

Still in break-in period, but was hoping for better gas mileage with a 6 speed trans. Straighter sides means it's a tighter fit in the garage doors for the side mirrors than with my other vans.