2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Horrible , never again
By elizabethd on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had an 02, loved it. This 09 is a piece of do doo. Chewing up front tires like crazy, alignment issues, steering issues. Car drifts and moves side to side (cant even explain, its something you have to feel ) steering wheel moves on its own over not smooth road, bumps railroad tracks, etc. Car flexes bad by the sliding doors. Even had transmission experiences and the radio tuning all by itself. All dealers say they don't see any issue, and one said the steering wheel moves to compensate for the road? Personally, I think they know it's messed up and won't admit. So going the lemon route after I hear back from Chrysler! Gas mileage is horrible.

Nice family van with several issues
By PeteK on 08/18/10 01:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I got a chance to own this vehicle for a period of 12 months which gave me a chance to do a fair evaluation of this product. Let me state first that I do like this vehicle. I purchased one with the weakest engine, so I do sometimes wish I had spent more money and should have gotten at least the 3.8 L one. I had issues with the rotors at 7K which is a well documented issue with this vehicle and now at 11k had a problem with front wheel bearings going bad which is another documented issue. Otherwise, the vehicle is solid with several immaterial shortcomings. I will be looking to trade it in and get the 2011 year model for this brand new 3.6 L Engine and 6AT transmission.

Best bang for your buck
By jsklyar on 08/17/09 21:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I mainly purchased this vehicle for spacious cargo and also ability to haul 7 people. Car looks nice as well. Of course, generous incentives helped as well. So far, the vehicle is top notch, no complains. Drove on a highway and averaged 26mpg, about 18.5mpg in the city. Though, several things I wish this car would have: daytime running lights (even my old Astro had it), interior lights can only be lit up all at once. Basic engine is somewhat weak but I did not purchase this to win races. Cheesy green light readouts, it is time to join 21st century. No instant mpg, too bad. Seats fold into the floor: excellent idea. Go get one today!

Brakes
By markcanada on 08/04/09 18:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is nice to drive and very comfortable. The acceleration of the motor when taking off is very slow. Brakes and rotors on the vehicle had to be changed on the front after 23000km.The back brakes were fixed on this day at 24000km, due to the squealing on the back passenger side and it turns out the pads were cracked and chipped. There was quite a bit of the pads left in the back brakes. Called Chrysler about it and waiting to see what happens. My mechanic and car part supplier of the new brakes said they have seen a lot of theses problems.

Sqweak sqweak sqweak
By JIM on 07/26/09 14:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have had the van in two times winter and summer for the squeaking sliding doors. This is the fourth Dodge I have bought and will be looking to trade it in asap for an import. Very cheap inside. Rear windows don't open except by going back to do it. Would I recommend this to a friend? No I wpould not even recommend to my enemies.

Love it
By Sweet on 06/07/09 15:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my far share of Chrysler disasters and by far this is the best van i've ever owned! I just traded in a 1998 grand caravan sport with 325 000 miles on it when it officaly blew! I've also had a 93 with 220 000 miles on it and the transmission blew. I bough a base van and i'm worried about the transimission like the last ones.

No problems so far--but 2nd row? OUCH
By Minivan Mom on 03/31/09 09:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We are one week into our new Caravan-- fourth we've owned since 1996. So far so good. My only real complaint is that the "new" seats are scratchy and uncomfortable, especially in the 2nd row. There's a bar that hits right at an adult's shoulder blades--OUCH. We have two teens and it's not so great for them. Younger kids would be no problem. Love the dual channel DVD & myGig radio. The backup camera seems to work nicely also. Last one owned was a 2006 and Dodge has cut corners on this new one compared to old-- plastic spoiler on back end, plastic bumper guard, etc. But best improvement--2nd row windows go 2/3 down. Much appreciated change! Great deals out there--go get one!!!

Love my van
By Davie on 03/24/09 15:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van has it all. I've read many people say that the 3.3 is "underpowered" but I don't get it. Are these guys racing? Racing in a minivan? I recently took my family camping in the mountains and had the thing loaded to the gills, and was able to drive to the campground just fine. Above all else, the Stow n' Go is the best seating option for my family. I love it! (as an aside, I wonder if Edmunds plans on updating their review of this van with another van in the future. It looks to me like all of their problems were with one van that was probably made on a Firday. Seems harsh not to reccomend a product based on a sampleing of one)

First Van
By mcvallin on 03/21/09 21:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Haven't had this van for 48 hours, so base your interpretation upon that...so far, through test driving and rec driving, it is perfect. The 3.3 L V6 is more than enough for normal driving conditions. We got the base model with an upgrade, so we dont have the navigation, dvd, etc. and the van still seems to provide for the family with normal needs. Build, appearance, and performance have all seemed to be adequate. If you want supperior options, buy a chrysler aspen or an escalade. But how it seems to me so far, for the reasonable family with a budget, this is the best you can get.

Great to drive
By Daren on 03/03/09 18:13 PM (PST)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van has a 3.3L/E85. Wish it had the bigger motor, but it does not come with the E85. This van as a lot of toys on it. DVD, MyGiG, Sirius radio. Took our first trip with it. Kids loved the dvd plater, mom and dad had the sirius radio on. This has back up camera on it. It also has the ESP on it. Great in the snow. It comes with a speed stick. Could not resist Dodges 0% financing and employing pricing and other rebates. Bought a $29k for $16k. Last van was a merc with a 4.3L, had more power.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan in VA is:

$115 per month*