2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
I wish I could recommend it... but I can't
By mrpyromaniac on 08/18/12 17:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the 3.8L SXT version, only have 33k on it. Having the transmission rebuilt right now. My wife drives this van around our small town, and we take weekend trips. It's well taken care of. We've had to have ALL the brakes replaced three times now, the tires are pretty much shot because of the brake problems, and there is a bad motor mount, and now the transmission. The engine is great, and the features and interior are phenomenal, but with the brake problems and now the transmission, clearly the build quality leaves much to be desired. That's why a Toyota is 20k more...

Family Hauler
By torinoman on 07/10/12 21:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We have the 4.0 engine and it performs great. This van is the only way to travel with your family. However, Dodge needs to get some thing right. The brake rotors started going bad at 15,000 miles and Dodge would not honor the warranty. They wanted $100 to fix their problem. Next, the Bridgestone tires on the van are garbage (nearly worn out at 20,000 miles). The air conditioner fan motor goes out after a while (however it will work after stopping the van and restarting a short while later). The radio conked out in the first year. A good vehicle with some minor changes would be a great vehicle. Dodge needs to step up and cover their mistakes.

Horrible , never again
By elizabethd on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had an 02, loved it. This 09 is a piece of do doo. Chewing up front tires like crazy, alignment issues, steering issues. Car drifts and moves side to side (cant even explain, its something you have to feel ) steering wheel moves on its own over not smooth road, bumps railroad tracks, etc. Car flexes bad by the sliding doors. Even had transmission experiences and the radio tuning all by itself. All dealers say they don't see any issue, and one said the steering wheel moves to compensate for the road? Personally, I think they know it's messed up and won't admit. So going the lemon route after I hear back from Chrysler! Gas mileage is horrible.

Nice family van with several issues
By PeteK on 08/18/10 01:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I got a chance to own this vehicle for a period of 12 months which gave me a chance to do a fair evaluation of this product. Let me state first that I do like this vehicle. I purchased one with the weakest engine, so I do sometimes wish I had spent more money and should have gotten at least the 3.8 L one. I had issues with the rotors at 7K which is a well documented issue with this vehicle and now at 11k had a problem with front wheel bearings going bad which is another documented issue. Otherwise, the vehicle is solid with several immaterial shortcomings. I will be looking to trade it in and get the 2011 year model for this brand new 3.6 L Engine and 6AT transmission.

09 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L
By Davemc83 on 12/01/09 08:18 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. I cannot say enough about it. We travel cross country from New Mexico to Michigan twice a year (pulling a pop-up camper) and we are very pleased with the performance and comfort of our new van. If you are in the market for a new vehicle and need to cart kids around town and still need room left in the vehicle for your whatnots, then skip the gas guzzling SUV's and go for this van, this is not the soccer mom van of the 90's. Dodge has done a great job upgrading every feature to make this a very desireable vehicle for people who want comfort and practicality.

Not my Vanagon but pretty darn good
By gsned57 on 11/18/09 10:41 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan C/V 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this one the first day of the bailout when Chrysler said they'd match the C4C money. Traded in my 86 Vanagon and got a $29K van for $17,5. I never thought I'd buy a chrysler product and really loved my VW, but there were a lot of things that needed fixing and with a new baby I wanted something safer for her. I test drove the Japanese and Korean vans and I can't see why anyone would pay 2X as much for one of them. Stow and Go is the single greatest feature. I've already hauled full sheets of plywood in the van and also carried 7 people on a moments notice. We'll see what happens in terms of reliability but I've driven 2 1000 mile trips and it's been great.

My fifth Dodge/Chrysler minivan
By Autoplay2 on 09/21/09 00:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this van before the 'Clunker Program', but got a great deal anyways. Wanted a 4.0, but could not find one in the color wife wanted. The 3.8L does fine, it's what I had in my other 4 minivans (2 97's, 98, 2000). Finally getting used to the no key and in-dash shifter. The van has plenty of power, the 3.8 is more than sufficient with the 6 speed. Thought I'd get a little better gas mileage with the 4.0L, but getting 16 with the 3.8L (1100 miles)in mixed driving, but city has lots of stop and go. We're in Texas, so the A/C has never been off yet, maybe in Dec we'll see the MPG go up some. First time I've had to actually read the manual to find out how a lot of the features work!

Best bang for your buck
By jsklyar on 08/17/09 21:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I mainly purchased this vehicle for spacious cargo and also ability to haul 7 people. Car looks nice as well. Of course, generous incentives helped as well. So far, the vehicle is top notch, no complains. Drove on a highway and averaged 26mpg, about 18.5mpg in the city. Though, several things I wish this car would have: daytime running lights (even my old Astro had it), interior lights can only be lit up all at once. Basic engine is somewhat weak but I did not purchase this to win races. Cheesy green light readouts, it is time to join 21st century. No instant mpg, too bad. Seats fold into the floor: excellent idea. Go get one today!

Mr.
By Al on 08/10/09 20:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have the 4.0 Liter. It is very smooth and powerful. The ride is a bit sporty which I like and the phone interface is great. I had really wanted the Chrysler limited but I couldn't justify the extra $$. About the only thing I don't care for is the fake leather seating which is mediocre vinyl.

Brakes
By markcanada on 08/04/09 18:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is nice to drive and very comfortable. The acceleration of the motor when taking off is very slow. Brakes and rotors on the vehicle had to be changed on the front after 23000km.The back brakes were fixed on this day at 24000km, due to the squealing on the back passenger side and it turns out the pads were cracked and chipped. There was quite a bit of the pads left in the back brakes. Called Chrysler about it and waiting to see what happens. My mechanic and car part supplier of the new brakes said they have seen a lot of theses problems.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan in VA is:

$101 per month*