2009 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
I wish I could recommend it... but I can't
By mrpyromaniac on 08/18/12 17:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the 3.8L SXT version, only have 33k on it. Having the transmission rebuilt right now. My wife drives this van around our small town, and we take weekend trips. It's well taken care of. We've had to have ALL the brakes replaced three times now, the tires are pretty much shot because of the brake problems, and there is a bad motor mount, and now the transmission. The engine is great, and the features and interior are phenomenal, but with the brake problems and now the transmission, clearly the build quality leaves much to be desired. That's why a Toyota is 20k more...

Family Hauler
By torinoman on 07/10/12 21:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We have the 4.0 engine and it performs great. This van is the only way to travel with your family. However, Dodge needs to get some thing right. The brake rotors started going bad at 15,000 miles and Dodge would not honor the warranty. They wanted $100 to fix their problem. Next, the Bridgestone tires on the van are garbage (nearly worn out at 20,000 miles). The air conditioner fan motor goes out after a while (however it will work after stopping the van and restarting a short while later). The radio conked out in the first year. A good vehicle with some minor changes would be a great vehicle. Dodge needs to step up and cover their mistakes.

09 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L
By Davemc83 on 12/01/09 08:18 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. I cannot say enough about it. We travel cross country from New Mexico to Michigan twice a year (pulling a pop-up camper) and we are very pleased with the performance and comfort of our new van. If you are in the market for a new vehicle and need to cart kids around town and still need room left in the vehicle for your whatnots, then skip the gas guzzling SUV's and go for this van, this is not the soccer mom van of the 90's. Dodge has done a great job upgrading every feature to make this a very desireable vehicle for people who want comfort and practicality.

My fifth Dodge/Chrysler minivan
By Autoplay2 on 09/21/09 00:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this van before the 'Clunker Program', but got a great deal anyways. Wanted a 4.0, but could not find one in the color wife wanted. The 3.8L does fine, it's what I had in my other 4 minivans (2 97's, 98, 2000). Finally getting used to the no key and in-dash shifter. The van has plenty of power, the 3.8 is more than sufficient with the 6 speed. Thought I'd get a little better gas mileage with the 4.0L, but getting 16 with the 3.8L (1100 miles)in mixed driving, but city has lots of stop and go. We're in Texas, so the A/C has never been off yet, maybe in Dec we'll see the MPG go up some. First time I've had to actually read the manual to find out how a lot of the features work!

Mr.
By Al on 08/10/09 20:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have the 4.0 Liter. It is very smooth and powerful. The ride is a bit sporty which I like and the phone interface is great. I had really wanted the Chrysler limited but I couldn't justify the extra $$. About the only thing I don't care for is the fake leather seating which is mediocre vinyl.

rather have a Honda
By Yakd on 07/08/09 15:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

The touchscreen has already stopped working, the day after we bought it. The culprit is faulty software, but of course Dodge does nothing until they have to, there goes another day wasted at the dealership. A new screen has to be ordered. A plastic piece snapped off of one of the stow n go seats. The storage bin on the back of the drivers seat keeps popping out. The interior looks very cheap given what we paid for this van. The material used on the seats, as well as the cushions, probably won't wear well. No wonder the company is in trouble. So why didn't we buy a Honda? Husband thinks they're overpriced.

I'm a Bit Disappointed
By Dave on 07/08/09 13:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle because my wife saw one on the highway and liked the looks of it. I would have preferred the styling of the Chrysler Town and Country, but this was better bargain because it came with so many extra features, including one I didn't especially want--the 3.8 engine. I noticed a few days ago that the rear seat back have rust stains on them. We have had absolutely nothing in the rear well that could have done that. Under each stain, I can feel some sort of metal bar, which I believe may be the source of these ugly discolorations. I will check this out with my dealership the next time I go in for service.

Best of mini vans as good as Chevy subs
By quapaw on 06/21/09 16:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Replacing a 92 Caravan. Only a few hundred miles and cannot truly say about reliability. My two previous Dodge minivans were excellent. This one is as close to the Chevy Surburbans that I owned in the70s and 80s with much better mpg. Stow and go is very handy. Wife says the seats are a bit hard bit I disagree. The interior lighting is not what I would want, too dim. Handling is excellent. Fit and finish is excellent. My dealership is one of the best. I bought it off the lot and if I had speced it out I would have left off some of the features and maybe added a few. Price was better than the imports and quality better too. Not sure I like the keyless switch but time will tell.

For the $ nothing better
By Justin on 06/15/09 15:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I would go out and get one right now. Dealerships are clearing out inventory and looking to get out of these vehicles. I bought a sticker price 32,895 for 21,500. It has almost all of the gadgets and has been a joy to drive. I have owned vans from 2 other car companies and I am trying to figure out why I waited to look at Dodge as a viable option. If you are in the market for a van go check them out, you won't be sorry

Dodge is better than what editors say
By 4.0 six speed 25th on 06/05/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I'm so impressed with my new van. The transmission is the smoothest - 6 speed is highly recommended with the 4.0. Stow and go is second to none - love it. Quality is good for a vehicle of this price range. Overall drive is quite, controlled, and especially great on the highway. Dealers service was great. I think the engineers in Detroit beat Japan on this one. Don't listen to the critics in California, drive one and compare and support your fellow Americans along the way with buying this superior product for the price.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan in VA is:

$109 per month*