Used 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Horrible , never again
By elizabethd

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had an 02, loved it. This 09 is a piece of do doo. Chewing up front tires like crazy, alignment issues, steering issues. Car drifts and moves side to side (cant even explain, its something you have to feel ) steering wheel moves on its own over not smooth road, bumps railroad tracks, etc. Car flexes bad by the sliding doors. Even had transmission experiences and the radio tuning all by itself. All dealers say they don't see any issue, and one said the steering wheel moves to compensate for the road? Personally, I think they know it's messed up and won't admit. So going the lemon route after I hear back from Chrysler! Gas mileage is horrible.

Favorite Features

Love, fits 7 people . Stow and go nice to have.

Suggested Improvements

Put a much better suspension on this thing. Major overhaul in the way its made. Better materials inside ..the carpet is like cheap felt .

Nice family van with several issues
By PeteK

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I got a chance to own this vehicle for a period of 12 months which gave me a chance to do a fair evaluation of this product. Let me state first that I do like this vehicle. I purchased one with the weakest engine, so I do sometimes wish I had spent more money and should have gotten at least the 3.8 L one. I had issues with the rotors at 7K which is a well documented issue with this vehicle and now at 11k had a problem with front wheel bearings going bad which is another documented issue. Otherwise, the vehicle is solid with several immaterial shortcomings. I will be looking to trade it in and get the 2011 year model for this brand new 3.6 L Engine and 6AT transmission.

Favorite Features

Back seats fold in the floor, spacious cargo, Aux input on the radio for iPod or any other music playing device. Comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Side vents need more air flow, AC is somewhat weak. Lack of interior lights in the back, was forced to buy some portable miniature lamps to accomplish task. Readout lights are pukey green. This is 2010, hello? Mileage in the city is about 15 mpg.

Best bang for your buck
By jsklyar

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I mainly purchased this vehicle for spacious cargo and also ability to haul 7 people. Car looks nice as well. Of course, generous incentives helped as well. So far, the vehicle is top notch, no complains. Drove on a highway and averaged 26mpg, about 18.5mpg in the city. Though, several things I wish this car would have: daytime running lights (even my old Astro had it), interior lights can only be lit up all at once. Basic engine is somewhat weak but I did not purchase this to win races. Cheesy green light readouts, it is time to join 21st century. No instant mpg, too bad. Seats fold into the floor: excellent idea. Go get one today!

Favorite Features

Stow-n-go seats, visibility, good mileage, comfortable seats, lots of interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Daytime-running lights, cheesy green light readouts, instrument cluster warning lights should not be in the middle, move them out left or right. Add up/down seat adjuster, not just recline and forward/backward. Cooling vents have limited range. Add telescoping wheel.

Brakes
By markcanada

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is nice to drive and very comfortable. The acceleration of the motor when taking off is very slow. Brakes and rotors on the vehicle had to be changed on the front after 23000km.The back brakes were fixed on this day at 24000km, due to the squealing on the back passenger side and it turns out the pads were cracked and chipped. There was quite a bit of the pads left in the back brakes. Called Chrysler about it and waiting to see what happens. My mechanic and car part supplier of the new brakes said they have seen a lot of theses problems.

Favorite Features

Our fav parts about the vehicle are the stow & go seats and the swivel of the quads. The handling of the van is very good.

Suggested Improvements

The things I know could be fixed are the brake pads, more power in engine without going to a bigger engine.

Sqweak sqweak sqweak
By JIM

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have had the van in two times winter and summer for the squeaking sliding doors. This is the fourth Dodge I have bought and will be looking to trade it in asap for an import. Very cheap inside. Rear windows don't open except by going back to do it. Would I recommend this to a friend? No I wpould not even recommend to my enemies.

Suggested Improvements

Listen to your disatisfied customers. Take a lesson from the imports, and don't depend on customers tax dollars to help you out. Earn the right for people to buy off you.