Used 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

NO MAS!
By jedi651

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We tried to love it, but just couldn't deal with the dealer (white Bear lake, Mn) who guessed on every repaired needed. Long story short, we bought the van used. clean carfax. great the first week. second week was a disaster. van would die 3-5 times daily was exiting the hwy. while operating at 30mph the van would become very sluggish, then die when coming to a stop. replaced spark plugs, MAP sensor, throttle body didn't change a thing. brought in to the dealer to figure it out. diagnosed that the WIN module was faulty and needed to be replaced.(not part of the recall) asked why its sluggish, dealer didn't know. finally just gave up and traded it in for a Honda. People be advised, stay away!

Favorite Features

4.0, entertainment system. stow and go.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts too hard. vehicle needs to be reprogrammed to be up to date on current health status and only the dealer can do this update. keyless ignition is garbage! Chrysler/Dodge needs to own up to the whole WIN module unit and not just the detent ring. lives are at risk driving in and around these vehicles everyday!

I wish I could recommend it... but I can't
By mrpyromaniac

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the 3.8L SXT version, only have 33k on it. Having the transmission rebuilt right now. My wife drives this van around our small town, and we take weekend trips. It's well taken care of. We've had to have ALL the brakes replaced three times now, the tires are pretty much shot because of the brake problems, and there is a bad motor mount, and now the transmission. The engine is great, and the features and interior are phenomenal, but with the brake problems and now the transmission, clearly the build quality leaves much to be desired. That's why a Toyota is 20k more...

Favorite Features

Interior is very roomy, the stow and go seating is amazing, the seat fabric is easy to wash and remove stains from, the 3.8L engine gives great power, the van handles well (when the brakes are not catching... which is most of the time), the sound system is good, the seats are comfortable, the automatic doors and rear hatch are convenient.

Suggested Improvements

After 33k miles of easy driving, the front brake pads should need to be replaced, That's about all. We've had to have all the calipers, rotors, and pads replaced three times, which is bad enough that there should be a recall and new brakes manufactured and fitted to replace the current non-funtional design. I bought the van so I wouldn't have to worry about having vehicles fixed all the time, that plan did not work out well. Chrysler extended the warranty on the front wheel bearings, clearly because those are defective. The transmission blew up already, and a motor mount is bad.. the build quality... not so good. Also, my 93 volvo I drove had auto headlights, this van doesn't.

Family Hauler
By torinoman

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We have the 4.0 engine and it performs great. This van is the only way to travel with your family. However, Dodge needs to get some thing right. The brake rotors started going bad at 15,000 miles and Dodge would not honor the warranty. They wanted $100 to fix their problem. Next, the Bridgestone tires on the van are garbage (nearly worn out at 20,000 miles). The air conditioner fan motor goes out after a while (however it will work after stopping the van and restarting a short while later). The radio conked out in the first year. A good vehicle with some minor changes would be a great vehicle. Dodge needs to step up and cover their mistakes.

Favorite Features

Entertainment system is nice, tons of cup holders, halo lighting, and good looks (the 17" wheels look great). Easy vehicle to service, all service points are easily seen.

Suggested Improvements

Better fit and finish, occasionally I have to go around the vehicle and push the bumper covers back in place (the corners wand to stick out). Quit using cheap tires, brake parts, and so much plastic in the interior. Subtle improvements would make this a great vehicle. We have 44,000 miles on the vehicle (purchased new) with the lifetime powertrain warranty. I hope the company will back the warranty if we ever need it (I tend to keep a car between 200,000 to 300,000 miles).

Horrible , never again
By elizabethd

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had an 02, loved it. This 09 is a piece of do doo. Chewing up front tires like crazy, alignment issues, steering issues. Car drifts and moves side to side (cant even explain, its something you have to feel ) steering wheel moves on its own over not smooth road, bumps railroad tracks, etc. Car flexes bad by the sliding doors. Even had transmission experiences and the radio tuning all by itself. All dealers say they don't see any issue, and one said the steering wheel moves to compensate for the road? Personally, I think they know it's messed up and won't admit. So going the lemon route after I hear back from Chrysler! Gas mileage is horrible.

Favorite Features

Love, fits 7 people . Stow and go nice to have.

Suggested Improvements

Put a much better suspension on this thing. Major overhaul in the way its made. Better materials inside ..the carpet is like cheap felt .

Nice family van with several issues
By PeteK

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I got a chance to own this vehicle for a period of 12 months which gave me a chance to do a fair evaluation of this product. Let me state first that I do like this vehicle. I purchased one with the weakest engine, so I do sometimes wish I had spent more money and should have gotten at least the 3.8 L one. I had issues with the rotors at 7K which is a well documented issue with this vehicle and now at 11k had a problem with front wheel bearings going bad which is another documented issue. Otherwise, the vehicle is solid with several immaterial shortcomings. I will be looking to trade it in and get the 2011 year model for this brand new 3.6 L Engine and 6AT transmission.

Favorite Features

Back seats fold in the floor, spacious cargo, Aux input on the radio for iPod or any other music playing device. Comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Side vents need more air flow, AC is somewhat weak. Lack of interior lights in the back, was forced to buy some portable miniature lamps to accomplish task. Readout lights are pukey green. This is 2010, hello? Mileage in the city is about 15 mpg.