Really good early impression
By Dave Gower on
2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)
My first Dodge van was a 1884 model, and this is my 4th since then. Although I've like all my vans, this one is head and shoulders above the others. The build quality is good, but even more the ride and handling is far superior. I guess this is the Mercedes influence on the design. The seating position and comfort are excellent. A power seat helps here. The controls fall readily to hand, are very intuitive, and have a quality feel. Outward vision at first seemed blocked by thick pillars but I find I got used to that quickly and am not bothered now. I find that parking is far easier than with my old vans. The square corners may help here but the steering seems more precise as well.
Favorite Features
Quality feel of interior finish and controls. Defrost in our Canadian winters works great. The gear shift over-ride on my 4-speed is excellent for passing and entering freeways. Two quick pulls to the left and second gear is good for 115 kph (72 mph) without straining the engine.
Suggested Improvements
Tachometer should be standard equipment. I use it to monitor the drivetrain operation and feel a bit lost without one. Wonder if I can swap the instrument cluster for one out of an SXT?