Used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

08 caravan SXT No good
By Shann

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

08 grand caravan sxt & in that time the automatic stow rear seats serviced every 3 months or at every oil change because they will not stow or they get stuck in stow mode. My sliding doors are ALWAYS broken, i.e. the button does not work them, or they start to up but slide back. Navigation system had to be replaced. Front brakes wore out at 13,000 miles (Pads and rotors). Rear brake pads and rotors wore out at 22,000 miles. Transmission got stuck in gear and would not go into manual mode. Dealership repaired-said it was a computer communication problem due to a "loose wire". Transmission problems again 3 days after 1st tranny repair! Do NOT BUY this VAN! Buyers BEWARE!

If and when this van actually works properly, it is nice. Extra features make it luxurious, DVD player, shades for windows, auto stow seats (DO NOT GET THIS FEATURE!), seat heaters (front & back), nav system, rear back up camera, great extras. It is best to get manual seats-auto not worth trouble!

Fix electrical glitches. Make luxury features more durable. SXT is not a model for those who do heavy camping and such. Brakes totally STINK! I suggest replacing brakes with super good NON-manufact. 10,000 miles after you buy. Fix the computer system. Make the can more durable all over for FAMILIES!

Horrible Experience
By Horrific

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I've had so many recalls, I know all the shop attendants by first name. No time for poor reliability. Brakes went before 20K miles-recalled. AC went out over summer-recalled. Shifts down hard when let foot off gas-transmission problem? Doors & radiator cap recalled. Should have bought a used car with 75K miles--would have been more reliable.

Start over.

Major Repairs
By Rich

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this van used and did not own it a year when the tipim Module went bad. (that's the electrical box that controls the car), just made a year and now both evaporators rear and front do not work. $2600 to repair at the Dodge dealer. Dodge corp. will assist with 25% of repair. i cannot afford another major repair. (DO NOT BUY THIS VAN) what to do?

Tow and Go Seats best feature.

recall these parts as i went to many forums and this is a problem. Dodge step up and fix this

Wouldn't get another one
By MikeyC

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, our '08 Grand Caravan SXT is a good vehicle but I wouldn't get another one. As one reviewer said, this car EATS BRAKES. Replaced the fronts at approx. 20K miles and the rears at 25K miles. I didn't replace my rear brakes on my '02 Mustang until 90K miles. Rear brakes do 10% of the stopping work. No reason for rear brakes to be replaced so early. Absurd. Chrysler did reimburse me $93 for the brakes (I spent $200 for all 4 brakes). Had a few trips to the dealership because the A/C didn't blow cold air and the radiator cap was leaking (both recalls). As far as fuel economy, we averaged 23 MPG on a trip to Boston. Most of the driving is city driving and we get 17MPG.

Stow-n-go, room, comfort, good power, automatic doors and lift-gate.

Brake system needs complete overhaul, better fuel economy, better tires, better stereo system.

Not as bad as they say
By Ian

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Have had this car 6 months and I love it. The ride is brilliant and so far I'm getting 21mpg with it. It had new brakes fitted when I bought it and after 6000 miles they were already 40% worn so this seems to be a worry. The van is comfortable and quiet and has swallowed loads with ease.The Stow and Go is fantastic. The 3.8 is good enough but I would have liked the 4.0. Coming from Europe the interior is not up to my usual standard but is OK. I bought this van 2 years old and it was $10,000 cheaper than an equivalent Honda Odyssey and for my money the van is a bargain.Maybe the problems have been sorted out by the previous owner, but I would wholeheartedly recommend this car.

Stow and go. Ride and quietness.

Better interior trim. 4th gear is too high. Depreciation is a worry but on the other hand there are bargains to be had.