2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Junky as Junk can be
By cajunman on 02/01/10 13:46 PM (PST)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this van and had 14,000 miles. 3,000 miles later changed front brake pads and resurfaced rotors. Next at 35,000 miles changed front brakes and was told cannot resurface rotors anymore so if shaking appears need new rotors. Told by repairman all "08 having brake trouble. Terrible windshield whistling noise that no one seems to be able to find. Complained to dealer and was told too many people just venting so the brake issue is not a problem. Sliding doors needed fixing three times. Interior storage rattles too much and keeps opening. Bottom line is Dodge needs to fix everyone's brakes. Making money off people no actually ripping people off is what it is.

unacceptable
By Lee on 01/03/10 08:02 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van has been a problem since birth, the plastic on the second row seats fell off, poor design. The tpms for the tires has needed to be replaced. The fuel milage is not what was promised but close. the vent system is not working properly aswell as there is incrediable heat in the drivers compartment all summer, need to turn on ac just to keep heat out. Headlights needed to be replaced high beam was useless

Can you say...JUNK!!!!
By Mechanic1 on 12/25/09 08:46 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this heap because I have 3 kids. Had it back to the dealership more times than I care to count. Air- conditioning broke, key fobs, brakes, shifter, sliding doors broke for the umpteenth time. Radio broke, you name it it broke. I work for Chrysler and will never buy one again!!! I will but a Toyota and feel a lot safer. With junk like this, we will be bancrupt before long. Please do some research before buying this heap!

Don't Buy One !
By Islandhopper1 on 10/18/09 18:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this vehicle with 18K mi. on it. It was great for about 2 days. That's when the front brakes went out (Pad's worn out- completely gone). I found out the rear brake pads had been replaced right before I bought it and rear rotors seriously grooved. Then the passenger sliding door broke... Van drove pretty well then except for a clunking gear shift sometimes between 2cd and 3rd around 20 mph. No real other problems until one night at 30K mi. when it just didn't start. I tried both keys- nothing. Had it towed to dealer- no codes, no answers....no confidence. Traded in for new Chevy Tahoe. Happy to have it gone.

power loss on electrical components
By IS on 10/10/09 10:04 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

scary moment when 3 weeks ago the back up camera, A/C & heating vents, radio, speedometer & other dash reading disappear & nothing worked, along with power windows, power door locks. 43000km on this baby & under warranty, took to the dealer shop, they refused to look into because I wasn't having an issue now, but they did do the upgrades on computer for free (which they apparently charge for),also have chronic problems of locking the van, I have to push down on the button 3 or 4 times & had it check out but they never find anything wrong. it's been great, no problems otherwise, love all the features, rear seats uncomfortable. Great for camping, can easily sleep 2 adults comfortably.

Brakes
By rick on 10/07/09 12:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had a Dodge Grand Caravan that I purchased there less than a year before with brake noise. My wife complained on previous occasions but was told nothing was wrong. When they finally looked at it vehicle was out of warranty period and they said the repair would not be covered. It cost us $471.98 to replace front and back pads and resurface rotors. Was not informed that a TSB #05-006-08 had been issued. Part number recommended in TSB does not match part number on my invoice. Now they need replaced again a year later because they were making a squealing noise and overheating. When I took it in to a local mechanic, he said my left rear caliper is leaking and needs to be replaced. No calipers

Use Common Sense!
By Drozs875 on 10/05/09 15:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought it from dealer new with 839 miles on it. I researched minivans to no end before I bought this one, and one thing that bothers me about it is the people that whine about issues that are either routine maintenance or abuse! The brake problems are caused by heavy footed stooges riding the brakes and the sliding door problems are from lack of lubrication! Use some common sense and maintain your vehicle! The only issue I've had is the A/C blows warm in the South Carolina heat until you get moving. I've checked the system myself and guess what...that's normal for a vehicle with a cabin this big! Overall I like the vehicle, the kid loves the DVDs and the wife won't let me drive it!

Brakes, Rotors, Transmission.......
By Chris on 09/02/09 15:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the vehicle brand new from dealership. At 18k started hearing screeching noise from front tires. Outcome? Complete brake overhaul from calipers, rotors and brake pads, all needed replaced. Dealership said there was no reported issue even though I showed them pages and pages of customer complaints about the brakes. I did this out of my own pocket for the safety of my family. Now before warranty expires the transmission is slipping. We took to dealer said there was a recall and fixed right? Wrong? Today wife had to take back to dealer, $95 bucks to look at it since no longer under warranty. Rental out of my pocket and the outcome is still TBD...... Terrible experience.

OK if you can get it out of Park!
By Peter B. Sparrow on 08/30/09 22:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought car for carting 2 kids and wife to do home health care. Did OK in snow but all wheel drive would do better.Has left my wife stranded 3 times in 8 months. Car stuck in Park and the 3rd time the tow truck could not make the manual over ride work, so had to get dolly wheels to get it to the dealer. Front passenger seat needs to have same adjustments as drivers seat. Can not go up and down. Back seats to low. Hard for older people to get in and out. Front under carriage is always hitting parking cement markers.

Love it except for MPG
By 2late on 08/21/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

It's an 08, but had been sitting on lot for a year (500 miles). Why? I guess 'cause it's LOADED with everything EXCEPT leather. And "sunburst orange pearlcoat," which is to say "rust" colored. Anyway, they took $10K off the sticker. It's a 4.0 L. Funny how the '08 4L's don't have the 25 MPG rating that the '09 4L's do. How did Chrysler squeeze 2 more MPG out of the same engine in '09? Dealer doesn't even know what I'm talking about, or pretends not to. But love the acceleration. Alas, I'm getting 15 MPG in town. And in the 6 wks I've owned it, this has happened 4 times: engine starts but no lights or A/C. Jiggle the key, and it all comes back on, but A/C blows HOT AIR for 5 min!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.