Used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Grand-caravan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Back to the drawing board...
By Aaron

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I purchased our 2008 Grand Caravan just a few years ago. The new body style and stow and go were what drew us to it right away. However, now 4 recalls later and an electrical problem no one can seem to diagnose, I am stuck paying $400/month for a car that has now had 2 sets of brakes and a set of rotors. Overall, I am very displeased with this vehicle. Chrysler, you just set Detroit back 20 years. It's back to the drawing board for you. A new body style doesn't make it a better vehicle. Sell something that is reliable and error free. Drop UAW and make it more affordable..

Favorite Features

Stow and go seating. Room for 7. Versatility for cargo and passengers.

Suggested Improvements

New Transmission. This one slips up often. Better brake parts. New Electrical / Computer system. Better materials. The body parts on this vehicle are paper thin. You can dent it with a cotton ball. Make sure it works before it leaves the factory. Quality vs. quanity...

Recall after recall
By kdan

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have had recall after recall on the 08. Eats brakes and is very clunky inside. MPG is bad and we are luck to get 20 on HY and 17 in town. I wish I had spent more money on a Honda. I also own a Dodge Stratus and will trade that in for anything but a Dodge. Not a quality company.

Favorite Features

Front seat remain comfortable during long trips. Plenty of room with the stow and go.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes and every recall item to date. Spend way too much time sitting in the service waiting room with another recall.

Please Avoid This Vehicle
By pghlawyer

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I am adding this review to put people on notice. Please shop elsewhere. This vehicle looks good outside, has a decent interior and was exactly what my wife wanted for the family. Chrysler invented the minivan, right? They really screwed together a nice looking piece of poorly engineered crap. Tons of recalls. I have changed the brakes more times in two years than Visa will allow me to speak aloud. The dealer is finally coming around trying to "assist" me with "my" problems. Thanks for the help! This is a horrible mistake by this company and should be on the nightly news. Chrysler won't admit to this failure until someone, or their children, die in an accident.

Favorite Features

This van looks good on the outside and adequate on the inside. Stow and go is great. Kids like the van for room and it has tons of storage for people like us who like to road trip. BUT, its a lemon and we will be pursuing that option shortly. I am not going to "eat" Dodge's engineering failures.

Suggested Improvements

Only road trip after you take the brakes to be serviced. Then you may find, as I did, that the rear brakes are smoking on the way home, less than 1000 miles later. My wife said we should have bought one of those luxocruiser SUVs if we were going to have to pay 600 a month to keep it on the road.

08 caravan SXT No good
By Shann

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

08 grand caravan sxt & in that time the automatic stow rear seats serviced every 3 months or at every oil change because they will not stow or they get stuck in stow mode. My sliding doors are ALWAYS broken, i.e. the button does not work them, or they start to up but slide back. Navigation system had to be replaced. Front brakes wore out at 13,000 miles (Pads and rotors). Rear brake pads and rotors wore out at 22,000 miles. Transmission got stuck in gear and would not go into manual mode. Dealership repaired-said it was a computer communication problem due to a "loose wire". Transmission problems again 3 days after 1st tranny repair! Do NOT BUY this VAN! Buyers BEWARE!

Favorite Features

If and when this van actually works properly, it is nice. Extra features make it luxurious, DVD player, shades for windows, auto stow seats (DO NOT GET THIS FEATURE!), seat heaters (front & back), nav system, rear back up camera, great extras. It is best to get manual seats-auto not worth trouble!

Suggested Improvements

Fix electrical glitches. Make luxury features more durable. SXT is not a model for those who do heavy camping and such. Brakes totally STINK! I suggest replacing brakes with super good NON-manufact. 10,000 miles after you buy. Fix the computer system. Make the can more durable all over for FAMILIES!

Horrible Experience
By Horrific

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I've had so many recalls, I know all the shop attendants by first name. No time for poor reliability. Brakes went before 20K miles-recalled. AC went out over summer-recalled. Shifts down hard when let foot off gas-transmission problem? Doors & radiator cap recalled. Should have bought a used car with 75K miles--would have been more reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Start over.