Used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

This is the worst vehicle i have ever owned.
By scoobong

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I would NOT recommened the Dodge Grand Caravan to anyone...
I Bought a Brand New dodge Caravan and it has been in the shop for 4-5 recalls Plus i had put new brakes, calipers, and rotors after 8 months of driving it. Plus it just randomly shuts off, after you start it.
The keys seldom unlock the doors, you have to manually, and it's been to the shop for that twice already.
I put less time and money into my old 1970 Ford Maverick.
Just over 100,000 and my transmision is starting to go.
I brought it in for warranty work once then they tried to tell me my muffler needed to be replaced and they would do it for$ 900.00 i said no then got a second opion and they said the muffler was fine.

Stay Away from this Model!
By blackstone114

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I just spent $988 to replace all four brakes on a Grand Caravan with just under 18,000 miles. The rear brake shoe was frozen and the front brake pads were 97% worn. This after the dealer told me last week to watch the front brakes, never mentioning the rear. This Canadian assembled from Chinese made parts piece of junk is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Their dealers are even worse. Don't be fooled by the American nameplate. Move on to another brand.

Stow and Go is nice

The brake issue is a known problem. Just do a search for 2008 Caravan brake issues. There are so many quality issues, a recall would shut down an already bankrupt corporation.

Not bad for the price
By bigd_74

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this 2008 used with 18k at the beginnning of 2009.
Got a good deal on it & it is perfect for our family with 3 little kids.
The stow & go is a great feature. I've had the dealership do all of the oil changes every 4k or 4 mos so I have solid records on file.
They did the 36k check up as well.
I had to replace rear rotors & pads at 32k as well as have the front rotors turned & new pads - did all this work myself and saved about $400.
I was shocked that it needed brakes so soon. Did the brake fluid flush & power-steering flush myself - saved a few $$$. I had the dealer flush the transmission fluid. Lots of recalls & it seems to need more maintenance than my Japanese cars.

We love the front wheel drive, storage, cup-holders & comfort of the van. The engine performs well in getting us up to freeway speeds to merge. Love the auto doors & the passenger windows that actually roll down.

Put on some beefier rotors and pads for the brakes - they wear out way too soon. I understand that Chrysler wants to make the van lighter but don't skimp on brakes to save a few pounds. Why oh why did you change the wheel size and lug patterns (including offsets) after 10+ years of the same size? Perhaps it was part of some sinister plot to manufacture steel wheels & sell them at inflated prices from the dealer to those poor saps who need studded tires for winter conditions - thanks!

2/24/2011
By bs2257

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I wanted to buy American. Have always had a Toyota.

Bought this van from the Dodge Dealership used with 58k miles.
Since I've had it, (1 1/2 yrs) new brakes, AC
hose leaked.
Recalls:
AC, radiator cap leak, front wheel bearings, door latch could cause fire, Air bags could disengage.
Now the transmission needs to be replaced with 64K miles. Cost 4,500-5,500 to replace.
Was told by the dealership the transmission has not been a problem on other 2008 vans.
Really! No Thanks!
Trading it in on a Toyota as soon as possible!
I really expected more from Dodge.

Handles good in snow

Major overhaul!

DO NOT BUY!
By et127

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I cannot stress enough how I would never recommend this vehicle to anyone!
This is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned.
I bought the vehicle in April 2008 and am about to replace the brakes for the third time.
Not to mention the four recalls, the tire pressure light, the loud buzzing noise that the inside of the van makes when going over 50.
Please do not buy this car, you will regret it!
Not to mention that I still owe $20,000 on it and the KBB is only $8,500.
Does anyone out there with these problems know of anything we can do?
I have written one letter a week to Chrysler and I will continue until they do something!

None!

My suggestions are to not make this vehicle anymore!