Used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Brakes, Rotors, Transmission.......
By Chris

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the vehicle brand new from dealership. At 18k started hearing screeching noise from front tires. Outcome? Complete brake overhaul from calipers, rotors and brake pads, all needed replaced. Dealership said there was no reported issue even though I showed them pages and pages of customer complaints about the brakes. I did this out of my own pocket for the safety of my family. Now before warranty expires the transmission is slipping. We took to dealer said there was a recall and fixed right? Wrong? Today wife had to take back to dealer, $95 bucks to look at it since no longer under warranty. Rental out of my pocket and the outcome is still TBD...... Terrible experience.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, Rotors, customer service, taking care of their clients that make them money.

OK if you can get it out of Park!
By Peter B. Sparrow

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Bought car for carting 2 kids and wife to do home health care. Did OK in snow but all wheel drive would do better.Has left my wife stranded 3 times in 8 months. Car stuck in Park and the 3rd time the tow truck could not make the manual over ride work, so had to get dolly wheels to get it to the dealer. Front passenger seat needs to have same adjustments as drivers seat. Can not go up and down. Back seats to low. Hard for older people to get in and out. Front under carriage is always hitting parking cement markers.

Favorite Features

# of cup sites. Large amount of storage space. Remote door and window opening.

Suggested Improvements

Raise car and seats, Improve transmission.

Love it except for MPG
By 2late

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

It's an 08, but had been sitting on lot for a year (500 miles). Why? I guess 'cause it's LOADED with everything EXCEPT leather. And "sunburst orange pearlcoat," which is to say "rust" colored. Anyway, they took $10K off the sticker. It's a 4.0 L. Funny how the '08 4L's don't have the 25 MPG rating that the '09 4L's do. How did Chrysler squeeze 2 more MPG out of the same engine in '09? Dealer doesn't even know what I'm talking about, or pretends not to. But love the acceleration. Alas, I'm getting 15 MPG in town. And in the 6 wks I've owned it, this has happened 4 times: engine starts but no lights or A/C. Jiggle the key, and it all comes back on, but A/C blows HOT AIR for 5 min!

Favorite Features

STOW 'N GO! These seats trump everything. The ONLY reason I went Dodge. Remote start Power doors & liftgate Super-duper radio/Sirius/Nav/UConnect/ 500-watt subwoofer Between-seat console very convenient (hope the plastic holds up!)

Suggested Improvements

Latching fuel door! Manual shifting completely superfluous with a 6-speed transmission. Axe it. Reconfigure the wiper setup? I keep turning the mist on when I use the turn signal. A/C controls non-ergonomic and probably dangerous. I'm taking my eyes off the road too much. Better MPG.

Looks nice but not built well
By john Mcconnell

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our 2008 dodge grand caravan for 6 months now. I will have to say we are disappointed with the interior quality of the van. It rides nice and looks great for the design, but Chrysler just did not focus on the details. I will have to say for a van that now has 350000 miles on it, it sure has a lot of interior rattles with the cheap plastic hardware everywhere on the dash and center overhead console. Secondly,when going over rougher roads the rear suspension chatters a lot.

Favorite Features

It has a comfortable ride and is a versatile minivan. It will give it to chrysler for improving the exterior design of the van.

Suggested Improvements

The interior hardware needs much improvement on quality. the older style dodge minivans did not have all the cheap plastic interior hardware on the dash.

Brakes, Brakes and more Bad Brakes
By audrey

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased vehicle with 18,132 km. in Feb 2008,;October 2008 @ 33,942 km (15,810 km driven) replaced front brake pads and rotors. Drove additional 8,842 km - in May 2009 replaced the rear brake pads and rotors; at same time they again replaced the Front brake pads only 8,842 km use (they did this part for free! Today is August 18th - it has been 3months since both front and back have been replaced - 5 weeks of that it was parked and only 4,920 km later the van is going back into the dealership tomorrow because the brakes are causing severe shuttering. Already have put out $964.00 and a free set for the front --Dodge Service- -What will this cost me- I feel totally ripped off - known problem

Favorite Features

stow n go; body styling; fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, Brakes, Brakes --Safety-Safety- Safety! How about a recall and a proper repair! Dealership education - the second time the brake pads were replaced on the front they did not do the rotors, they cheaped out and put my safety at risk!