2008 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

The whistling Noise
By Karl

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Let me start by saying, I like the van and this is my second one. But the new design has a whistling sound when doing 65-70 MPH. The problem is around the windshield on the unit, Between the window and the pillar that extends to the roof. The rubber insert is not long enough and it causes a whistle sound. You will need to tape the outside until you can run a thin bead of caulk under the rubber to prevent the wind from getting in. I do a lot of driving in a year (42,000 annually) and I currently have it taped and it has stopped the noise. Good luck.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the rubber insert

Get some value for that money!
By Cheeky Monkey Mama

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I love my van. We do not have any of the problems that others have mentioned (whistling noise, road noise, poor visibility with dual screens, etc.) The controls are nicely laid out. Love the Uconnect, mygig, and the 6 speed transmission. I live on top of a hill, and rather than riding my brakes all the way down, I just downshift and let the engine do the work. We also love the piece of mind of the lifetime powertrain warranty (we added the lifetime wrap that covers just about everything else for $2700) For under 30k we have tons of features, people / cargo space, power, and safety, with the piece of mind that comes with only having to pay for basic maintenance. We think we got a bargain.

Favorite Features

Mygig, Uconnect, Center Console, 6 speed transmission, Power doors, Dual DVD players and Screens. Comfort of the swivel n go seats (we never swivel them, but they are far more comfortable than the stow n go seats, and they recline). Responsive cruise control. Steering wheel mounted radio controls

Suggested Improvements

Not crazy about the rear exterior styling (too boxy). Swivel n go makes it difficult to get into the 3rd row. 3rd row doesn't slide forward (poss. because of stow n go feature?) Backlighting on the cruise control lever at night (unless you have it memorized, you're in trouble).

locks are the problem
By Linda Kohler

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

The biggest problem with the van is that you can lock the doors with the sliding doors in the back still open. Once you push the lock and not have the doors closed, it still locks with the doors in the open position. This should be corrected by Dodge.

Suggested Improvements

Have a lock system that will not lock unless all the doors are closed.

Questionable Workmanship
By DICK TRIESCH

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

While parked and unoccupied, the van shifted out of park on its own and coasted down into another parked car. Chrysler sent an inspector out who couldn't find anything wrong. They won't repair damage done to van in collision. They act like it never happened. Beware 08 van owners! Always set emergency brake when parked. Chrysler's customer service is not very impressive. We'll have to take them to small claims court for them to address the fact that it happened.

Whistling
By Rachel

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car except for when I reach about 65-70 mph it make this weird whistling noise I took it in and its still making the noise I don't think the dealership knows what it is! Does anyone know?

Favorite Features

Stow n' Go

Suggested Improvements

None I like everything but the whistling.

It is a winner!!
By Mike

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the 3rd minivan from Chrysler that we have owned. This van replaced our 2006 Town and Country and it is the best one yet. It seems to have more power than the 2006. Ride is better and it has lots more storage.

Favorite Features

My gig, Stow n Go.

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic interior.

An Excellent Decision
By Jerry Cahill

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Second Dodge vehicle I've purchased. I love the new Dodge Grand Caravan! The entertainment system is unsurpassed, with the MyGig System and the rear dual overhead DVD screens. The exterior styling is more masculine than the competition. 2nd and 3rd rows both still fold underneath, a great feature. Limited lifetime warranty on the powertrain for the original owner is priceless. Was about $3,000 to $4,000 less expensive than the Odyssey and Sienna for a comparably equipped vehicle, but those two can't touch the entertainment system. My wife and I fight over who gets to drive it. Thus far, we love the Caravan!

Favorite Features

The MyGig Entertainment System which allows you to download up to 2,100 songs and acts like a jukebox is awesome! You can even download pictures for screensavers. The family group center console, along with the other storage areas, offers a vast array of places to store your "stuff."

Suggested Improvements

The driver's seat is somewhat stiff and takes a little getting used to. Not sure how it will be on a long trip. The combined gas mileage is about what was advertised: 20 mpg. I would like better gas mileage, but I knew what it was before I purchased it.

So Disappointed...
By CivicSi2k

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

For few years I asked myself when was Dodge going to change the minivan style 01-07, finally did in 08. So disappointed by Dodge by the design, power response, and gas mileage. As owner of 97 Grand Caravan Sport, I can say my 97 handles and get better gas mileage than the 08 model. The Stow-N- Go a plus. Having a handicap child with a wheel chair lots of room is a must. The 08 models lacks space. With my 97, I can place the wheelchair standing up without a problem. With the 08, I had to take it apart.

Favorite Features

Power seats, Side door windows roll down, no noise when you drop the windows like it will blow your ears off. Stow N Go, Sport mode, more cup holders, privacy glass, view of the road in front of you. Comfort level.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior design, The caravan is not a lunch box until now. Definitely wind noise from top of roof. Material quality - plastics and rubber. Ability for rear AC to be independent, Leg room. 3rd seat needs to slide like in the 96-01 models. Too bulky & Heavy which cause poor fuel economy.

Undecided
By B

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased March 25, 2008. Loved the new style and features. Kids fell in love with the VES system, me in the sunroof/Sirius radio and wife in the heated seats. But now (in June '08) we have a whistling problem that the dealership can't seem to figure out. Over 65 mph and the van sings a tune. Van been in shop twice and we are still waiting for problem to be fixed. If we can get rid of this problem, I am sure I will LOVE my new van. Hate the position of the video screens, wish they were off center somehow. Backup camera is nice, but please still turn and look, camera is deceiving. Overall very happy with van, just need to get the whistling to stop.

Favorite Features

I love the stow compartments in front of the middle row seats - they hold a lot. Also love Sirius radio and backseat tv (really keeps the kids (8- 14-15) quite during those short and long trips). Seats are very comfortable. Sliding door windows that come down.

Suggested Improvements

Placement of video screens needs to be reviewed, when in use you can't see out the back. Too much cheap plastic inside. Light color fabric is terrible, should have went with darker. Too much "power" everything. What happen to opening a door with your hand?

So Far So Fun!
By Darrell

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have just purchased this vehicle, and recently hit the 100 km mark. This is the second Caravan I have owned and I am quite happy with it. It drives and handles great, cannot wait to go on holidays with this gem. price was right and so is the styling of this vehicle. If i could change anything it would be the almost white parts of the interior (very bad idea with those grubby little kids). All and all the is no other van like the Grand Caravan.

Favorite Features

Overall look and fell, you really feel like you got more for your money.

Suggested Improvements

Larger towing capacity would be great as well as fire the individual that thought a almost white interior would be a good idea.