2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Ok for the price
By agarven on 09/16/12 14:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new, now has 65,000km. Probably the most practical vehicle there is for a family at a good price. Brakes are a problem, replaced front pads and rotors at 35,000km. Rear caliper seized ruining rear rotor and pad (covered under warranty). Noisy exhaust (not sure if this is a problem or not).

lots of repairs
By gregdetroy on 08/24/12 19:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Easy to drive. 3.3L engine is barely enough. Wish I had gotten a bigger engine. Back seat can squeeze 3 slim adults. Middle row seats are marginally comfortable. Noisy and rough-riding in the back of the car. Got mine used at 45k miles, now have 61k. Not surprised I needed new brakes, but I also needed new rear shocks and had to have AC recharged at 59k ($180) and got stranded out of town at 60k for 2 days when the CV gasket (i think that was the name) failed and spilled the transmission fluid out on a friend's driveway.

Be Careful
By dtojeo on 08/16/12 08:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purhased a 2008 Grand Caravan. Big Mistake. The vehicle has numerous electrical prolems costing hundreds every year in repair and towing charges. A few problems I have encounterd: Horn blowing in the middle of the night, locked out of the vehicle, Windshield wipers turning on for no reason, windows going up and down when the vehicle is parked, radio changing stations for no reason, lights blinking on and off while parked and now the ignition system as failed. I was told by the dealer that the key is proably bad and it will have to be towed in. It cost $240 per key, $90 for system diagnosis and it may have to have an entire ignition system on top of a $90 tow charge. Reliability = 0

2008 grand caravan 3.3l flex fuel
By wagner1975 on 01/02/12 11:19 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Been a pretty good van so far. it has had its little problems but nothing major. Got in jan 09 as a dealer demo with 6000 miles on it. it now has 92,000 miles on it. avg about 19 highway and city combined. have replaced left front caliper and wheel bearing, front rotors, three sets of frt brakes and 2 sets of rears. had a radiator and a/c drain recall. we go all over with this van and its been great. we have 4 kids and we pack this thing full all the time. this is our second caravan the first was a 1997 ex all wheel drive and that had 206,000 miles on it when the tranny went. love these vans! I change motor oil every 7 or 8000 mile and change transmission filter and oil once a year.

confused about bad reviews
By beccalynn0204 on 10/30/11 12:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned a grand caravan since 2002, started out with 98 caravan and 9 years later at 140,000 traded it in for a dodge 2002 caravan. I have not had a problem with this van. Yes it had 4 recalls but they have been fixed and still on merry way. My van has 42,000 miles on it and the brakes are still perfect. Knock on wood I haven't had any problems these other reviewers are commenting on. But I can say this someone is going to find something wrong with any car, van or truck sometime.

I will stick to Dodge vans
By shaughn on 08/29/11 15:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have had an 07 caravan with over 300K kms on it with never an issue, so I got a new 08 Grand Caravan because the body on old one was going. And I must say I read all the negative comments about this van and wonder why mine has been so flawless. Yes the brake pads and rotors had to be replaced at 60k, but I was told this normal on this model for some reason. I solved it by not replacing with factory pads and rotors. Upgrade to the heavy duty rotors. The metal is harder and dissipates heat better resulting in my rotors now having over 70k on them and no issues. There were 3 recalls for AC and spindles. No more issues since. 750km to a tank for mileage on highway/500km in town. Not bad i say.

a nightmare
By pcarrs on 08/26/11 13:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

i would not recommend this car to anyone i have owned this vehicle for 3 years i have over 200,000 miles on it i run it as a taxi and am familiar with all the problems others have written about it. brakes are the worst they designed them too small i have to replace pads every 3 months somtimes sooner if the calipers stick replaced calipers, and rotors. replaced heater hoses several times the plastic tee cracks which leads to leaks. radiator cracked. ac compressor hoses burst. motor mounts need constant replaceing. this car is a money pit. you can purchase a hummer for the price you spend on this van and the fuel economy is the same!!!!!!!

This is the worst vehicle i have ever owned.
By scoobong on 07/16/11 16:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I would NOT recommened the Dodge Grand Caravan to anyone... I Bought a Brand New dodge Caravan and it has been in the shop for 4-5 recalls Plus i had put new brakes, calipers, and rotors after 8 months of driving it. Plus it just randomly shuts off, after you start it. The keys seldom unlock the doors, you have to manually, and it's been to the shop for that twice already. I put less time and money into my old 1970 Ford Maverick. Just over 100,000 and my transmision is starting to go. I brought it in for warranty work once then they tried to tell me my muffler needed to be replaced and they would do it for$ 900.00 i said no then got a second opion and they said the muffler was fine.

Stay Away from this Model!
By blackstone114 on 03/16/11 15:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I just spent $988 to replace all four brakes on a Grand Caravan with just under 18,000 miles. The rear brake shoe was frozen and the front brake pads were 97% worn. This after the dealer told me last week to watch the front brakes, never mentioning the rear. This Canadian assembled from Chinese made parts piece of junk is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Their dealers are even worse. Don't be fooled by the American nameplate. Move on to another brand.

DO NOT BUY!
By et127 on 02/04/11 11:04 AM (PST)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I cannot stress enough how I would never recommend this vehicle to anyone! This is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. I bought the vehicle in April 2008 and am about to replace the brakes for the third time. Not to mention the four recalls, the tire pressure light, the loud buzzing noise that the inside of the van makes when going over 50. Please do not buy this car, you will regret it! Not to mention that I still owe $20,000 on it and the KBB is only $8,500. Does anyone out there with these problems know of anything we can do? I have written one letter a week to Chrysler and I will continue until they do something!

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan in NJ is:

$186 per month*