Used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Dodge never again
By Greg S.

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

The brakes will need to be redone every 15-20K miles. I would replace with after market brakes. Wheel bearings replaced by dealer 20K miles ago, now need replacing again. DO not use Mopar parts or spec for this vehicle! A/C is broken, common problem. While this is a very nice optioned car, it is also the worse built car I have ever owned. Not a mistake I will make again.

2008 nightmare
By terkray

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd Chrysler minivan, dating back from 1994; 1st lasted 10yrs, 180K, 2nd one totaled in accident after 6 years - both of those vehicles had 'usual' Chrysler issues, transmission, radiator. My '08 that I bought used from dealer 3 years ago, 30k miles - has been an absolute nightmare! I bought the extended warranty cuz of all the bells&whistles that came w/ this van; plus have a $150 deductible. This van has died on me at least 13 x's, stalled while driving @ 8x's, electrical panel gone awry, hatchdoor broke, slider broke, slider window broke, starter replaced 3x's, rear camera broke! If I did my research prior I would of NEVER EVER purchased van. I'm 15k til end of warranty & I cry

OK for a Minivan
By familyguy69

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this van used in 2010. I didn't know at the time, it was a previous Enterprise Rental. I got a good deal on it and has been mostly reliable. The van still has the original battery in it! It currently has 79,000 miles on it. THE BAD - My van needs front brakes every 8-10k miles. I only replaced rears once so far. Other than the A/C, Radiator Cap, and Sliding Door recall, I've had no major problems. The right front caliper did freeze up on me once. Since the last time I did brakes, the right front has been making a screeching sound while driving. I hope it is not wheel bearings. The seats could be more comfortable. The newer vans have nicer interiors since Fiat took over.

Roominess, Stow-n-go, Power Sliding door, Safety Features.

They have already made progress with the interior and the new 3.6l engine. They need to make the van lighter and put better brakes / rotors on them.

Stay Away-MoneyPit/Death Trap
By jayblack1

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Total junk, worst think I ever bought. Breaks last 10-15k.Power lift gate and passenger sliding door failed due to rotten plastic (64k&70k).Clock spring & tilt sensors went out causing stability and traction control system malfunction, computer activated brakes stopping van in middle of traffic (no break input from driver).Exploded coolant line @ 82k due to rotten plastic in Y junction, another one leaking on airbag wiring (101k) causing airbag MIL to come on. Broken brake spacer @101,5k cause pad to fall out and wedge between rotor and brake assembly locking up rear driver wheel. This POS has left my wife and 4kids stranded on side of road 5 times in less than 2 years! Run Away! Deathtrap!

The horn is loud. I like the audio controls on the stearing wheel.

If you have to use plastic then use a type that can tolerate high temperature and pressure so the coolant line junctions donít explode! Donít use brittle or soft plastics in high stress locations. You have a sensor that will tell you when your windshield washer fluid is low but not when the coolant is low (indicating a leak). Put in a low coolant sensor. Fix the piston ring gap so it wonít burn oil. Dealership says burning 3 quarts in 2k miles is normal?! Not to me! Fix the brakes so they last longer, dealership said softer material was used for pads due to noise complaints. I donít want to change brakes every 8-10 months. Recall for bad coolant system (and other plastic) parts!

Saved my life
By chryslerfan12

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I just posted a while back how much I loved my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. My Grand Caravan had 86000 trouble free miles on it until January 24 2013. I was traveling to fast for snowy conditions slid off the road took out a HUGE hemlock tree did 4 360's and tumbled down an embankment. The right side of the van was gone, the glass blew out of it, the dashboard collapsed, and the roof buckled but I was able to unbuckle my seatbelt and walk away from the crash uninjured. I really miss my van!