Used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

first and last dodge owner
By Kym Joseph

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love having a van!!! I want another van but not a dodge!!!! Bought 2008 Grand caravan in 2014 with 59K miles @ 71K miles oil pan still leaking ( was replaced 61K miles) now have leaky head gasket and oil pan. if bottom charger is used have to hold rim of outlet, pulls out when pulling out charger. Radio looses power then will suddenly come back on after a day or two. Lost 3 qts of oil due to broken oil pan bolt gasket split, oil light NEVER came on. I was very excited to buy a van, I have kept up with oil changes , flushes, recalls, etc at 71 K miles a vehicle should not have these types of problems. I am very disappointed in the reliability of this vehicle, summer vaca is canceled kids disappointed and so am I with wasting money on this vehicle and letting down my children because I don't feel safe driving long distances due to reliability. I will never buy a dodge again. The only thing good about this vehicle is the room, and storage, However its a waste if its sitting in the drive way.

A decent van with a lot of problems.
By Mark N.

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

108,000 miles and counting. To start off the Dodge Caravan 2008-2010 model years are plagued with problems. The keyless entry fobs routinely fail, resulting in expensive reprograming and new key replacement costs. Putting your key in the ignition and getting a "BAD KEY" message while on vacation with a car full of kids will ruin your experience. Transmission shaft seals, oil pan seals, AC lines, brake calipers seizing up, undersized brake pads, antifreeze leaks, head gasket seals, and power steering fluid leaks are just a few problems you will have to deal with. Routine oil changes at 3000 miles or less is a must, do NOT wait for the suggested 5000 mile limit, the engine will eat upwards of a quart and a half of oil (a problem that plagues many Chrysler/Dodge engines) between oil changes. Factory tires wear out quickly, tire stores will advise you to buy another brand/model of tire when you replace them. Recalls stacking up, and the dealerships can't handle the volume of cars coming in, I've been waiting 6 months for the ignition switch recall alone.

What is good about this van? Well the interior is nicely designed and appointed. Intuitive controls, with good ergonomics makes this a comfortable ride, and an excellent vehicle for road trips. Cup holders galore, storage spaces rivaled only by Han Solo's Milennium Falcon, and a sound system that is a pleasure to listen to. Styling is a high point, but many nooks and bends collect dirt that will have to be cleaned out by hand. Seats are comfortable, built in child restraints in the second row bench seat is a nice touch.

Performance? It's a van, it can merge without much effort, handling is decent but you won't be taking it around the Nurburgring to be sure.

In summary, I have owned many Dodge products over the years, with cars exceeding 200,000 miles. This van will be the first time I will trade in a car without at least 150,000 on the odometer. I really wanted to like this car, and even after $4000 in out of pocket repairs, I thought we could keep it, but the problems never seem to end. I take great car of my cars, crawling under them and poking under the hood every week to keep an eye on things and making sure they are well kept. This is just simply too much of problem child to keep throwing money at it. Pity, the Caravan once ruled supreme, now just a poorly made pale shadow of its former glory.

Over 235,000 miles and runs like new
By John

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

People writing bad reviews are most likely the same people that never do maintenance. Change your fluids. Not just oil but trans fluids also. If your brakes are going out quick then stop driving like a fool. The 3.3 and 3.8 are great engines. Very low maintenance and very easy to service. Parts are cheap and readily available. I would have no problem driving mine cross country again. In the last year we have went to Oregon and back, Florida and back and Michigan and back. We live in Indiana. It's better if you're mechanically inclined but with regular service the 3.3 and 3.8 have no problem getting to 300,000 miles with a major rebuild.

2008 Caravan
By Craig McCloud

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have a feeling some of these reviews are completely made up by people PO'd at the world. I have a 2008 Carvan. The issue I've had is that the AC stopped working. When it was repaired it stopped working in less than a year. The other issue are the cheap plastic tracks that house the components that open and close the side sliders. This is a very poor design by Chrysler. The van ride very comfortably and I feel very safe in it. I does very well on snow covered roads. I don't buy the "it just stopped working" story.

Comforable ride, battery lasted for over 150K miles.

Redesign housing under sliding doors, reduce road noise and improve A/C components.

I will never buy a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Stow'N'Go Flex Fuel
By kandyce

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the worst Minivan I have ever owned. I have owned 4 in total (different years) It seems that the newer year you get, the more issues you have. I currently have 3 recalls on it but there should be more.
My issues are as followed:
*you have to giggle the shifter to get it to go into park to turn it off
*stalls
*bad on gas even with Flex Fuel
*turns off while driving
*over heats
*wipers turn on, on there own
*will repeataly start (turn over) over and over again while trying to start it and have to turn it off and try again to start it.
*always replacing breaks, struts, shocks, ball joints, rooters (never before this bad)

Stow'N'Go

Build a better more reliable minivan