Used 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Best van on the road.
By Rick

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We traded in our 2002 Grand Caravan for the 2006 Grand Caravan. We were very pleased with the '02 but this van with its Stow n Go seating is far superior. The seats work easily. If you do not have Stow n Go you will be amazed how frequently you use them. We use them every day. easy to use and can fold all seats within a minute. Have not had any major problems with the van at all. The van has made three trips to Florida and South Carolina (from NJ) and it is very comfortable. The storage wells for the middle row seats make a great storage area for snacks and things. There really is a lot of room in this van. Rides like a Cadillac on the highway. Easy to drive with great visibility.

3.8 engine, Stow n Go, video system, interior controls well laid out and easy to use. Handling is terrific. Smooth quiet ride. Feels solid. Have gotten 26.2 mpg on the highway. I am averaging @20-22 mpg with normal driving. It gets better mileage than the '02 and I have a bigger engine! (3.8 vs 3.3)

None. I feel Dodge did their homework on this van and they should be complimented. It is a well designed and well built car.

Please don't buy
By Stephanie Medlin

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van brand new. We purchased an extended warranty also. I have had continuous problems starting at about 18,000 with stalling. I had to take it in over 6 times only to be told nothing is registering on the computer. After the 6th time, the fuel pump was replaced. Now, again, we are having stalling problems only to be told nothing is registering and it can't be duplicated. Gas mileage horrible. It also: has problems with front brakes, grinding sound turning and reverse, a loud noise on hard right turns. And, nothing is wrong with any of these items according to the dealerships. Huge safety hazard

I thought I would like the stow and go. NO- I keep the seats up all the time as it is our family van for 5. They don't go up and down easily. Another warranty item I talked to the service department about only to be told there is nothing wrong.

One Awesome Van
By John Christiansen

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van in early of 2006 and know wile I am writing this my family and I have put a little over 40,000 miles on the van. It has been great it has not given us a lick of trouble since day one. The thing gets on average 23 to 24 mpg and close to 26 if we do nothing but highway. I guess the K&N air filter helps with that and i would recommend that air filter to anybody who has this van as it does, not only help out fuel mileage, but also gives the 3.8 a tad but more power. My family and I are very happy with this van, the room in this thing is great and the way gas is going up we won't get rid of this thing anytime soon.

Room, interior quailty (padded dash is great), low-end torque of the 3.8, soft seats, oh and did I say room!

Stock tires are junk (only lasted till 40k and are horrible in the snow), better speakers for the stock radio.

Worst Van ever
By kialover15

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Back in July of 2006, we bought a Dodge Grand Caravan, dumb move, it was terrible, we hated it! The ride was rough, seats were uncomfortable, visibility was awful, and we only got an average of about 13 mpg! Not good enough with these soaring gas prices. So after 13 months, we traded it in for a Kia Rondo, much much better.

none

Everything

minivan
By soldiers_wife

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

1 mo after buying this van we started having problems w/ it the transmission was slipping i took 2to a dealership about 6 times having them tell me nothing was wrong my husband came home from Iraq and all of sudden they found the problem and fixed it by overhauling the transmission 3 weeks later it was doing the same thing we traded it in after that

nothing