2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews 3

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Disappointed Grand Caravan Owner
By Dennis on 12/12/09 15:45 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our first Grand Caravan is a 1999 with 174k miles. Regular maintenance and a few minor issues through the years. But the 2006 model has been a major disappointment. The space and ride are good but we have been told the rack and pinion are shot as well as the power steering pump at 65000 miles. The water pump replaced at 40k and the passenger side sliding door lock broke at 20k. The leather seats are now starting to wear through. Can't wait to get rid of it.

MINE WAS JUST TOTALED AND I'M MISSING IT
By Holly on 11/12/09 11:28 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My Grand Caravan met an ungrand ending a few days ago (we were hit) and I'm already searching the net for it's twinkie. It was by far the best, most reliable "car" I've driven. My only complaint would be that a sensor went out around 50,000 that would not allow one of the side doors to close with the click of the auto key. It was $350 to fix, so we made due and got used to it. I also had a problem with the turn signal that would not work, it was covered under warranty. We have five children and really liked the stowing capacity. It was also very comfortable for long trips. (I say that as a driver. 3rd seats not as comfy - but that is true with most vans.)

Disappointed
By Nancy on 11/02/09 19:26 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van new and within the first year the driver side sliding door mechanism broke and wasn't covered under warranty. Year 2 the air conditioner stopped working and air bag light came on and has perpetually been on since (no one cn figure out what's wrong with it)and year 3 it's been in the shop 3 times; brakes replaced, broken water pump and bad EGR valve. It's so disappointing to have such a popular and common vehicle have so many issues.

Not A Day's Trouble
By K.Mac on 09/27/09 16:58 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my van used from the dealership with 18,000 miles on it, and I now have over 65,000. I have honestly never had a day's trouble with this vehicle. I change the oil, and have recently bought new tires- this has been the extent of the servicing done to my van. I commute every day 80 miles roundtrip, and when I set the cruise control on 60 I get around 26 mpg. I live on rural roads that aren't always cleared in the snow, and the traction control has come in handy. This vehicle has been a real bargain for me: reliability, luxury options that would have broke me on another van, and the feeling of safety when I'm out there on the road with all of the other large vehicles.

Not Too Pleased
By JAWPAW on 06/10/09 14:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced our previous 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 2006 model and have had several problems. Sun Roof had issues after using 3 times, rear sliding door broke at 24K miles, tires are already bald with only 40K miles, rack and pinion went at 36K and now the air conditioning just starting blowing warm air. Don't think I would buy another one. I hardly had any issues at all with my 1996 Caravan and that had over 100K miles on it. Very Disappointed with the quality. Unfortunately this is the first vehicle that I bought and did not buy an extended warranty. It figures.

Better then most will admit
By longhornfan1 on 06/01/09 16:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Regardless of what is said online I have seen more dodge vehicles with over 200,000 miles on them then any other manufacture and that includes everyone's beloved Honda. Dodge makes the best van for someone who wants reliable affordable transportation. This van has a great ride solid build and will not require a second loan if something does go wrong like the Honda would. My neighbor has one with 195K on it and plans to put 100 more. I have 36K and plan on 200K myself.

Sorry I got this van
By Chris on 05/07/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I decided to trade my old van for the 2006 because of the stow n go seats. I am leasing the van with all intentions of keeping the van when the lease is up. I should have kept my old vehicle. I had complained twice about the odor I get when I turn on the defrost or a/c and I have been told there is nothing wrong. I had to have the back a/c unit replaced because of leaking, the part was on back order and had to wait 2 months which was during the hottest time of the season. The motor on the passenger side window had to be replaced, the window would not go up during a rain. Now the left passenger side door will not slide open when I press the button, I have to manually open the door.

Bought It Used, Feels Like New
By Florida Dude on 04/02/09 20:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Got it as from a dealer who bought it at a fleet auction. Former rental. Changed oil, and that's it. Had it for about 10,000 miles now with no problems whatsoever. The Stow 'N Go space versatility is tremendous, with nothing really comparable in the market. ALL THE SEATS FOLD FLAT INTO THE FLOOR. I had a 1995 Caravan and I almost killed myself moving those seats in and out for when I needed to carry stuff. I swore I'd never buy another minivan until all the seats folded into the floor. Abacadabra!

Stow 'n Go
By mel_gibson_ on 01/11/09 10:43 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Dodge Caravan. First was a 1995 Dodge Caravan (SWB - 3.3L V6). I love the Stow 'n Go, which allows the both the 2nd and 3rd row seats to go into the floor, virtually creating a cargo van in 4 minutes. Great for my side business to carry a bunch of equipment. Also great to haul my friends for trips - whether they're short or long. The Stow 'n Go puts the vehicle in a class by itself. Yeah, stuff falls off, but it's the standard Dodge build quality - not great, but for the most most, it's nothing that prevents the engine from running. BTW, as others have noted, I've been a bit disappointed by the gas mileage (18 mpg mixed, 23 highway)

Oil Burner
By doug on 09/08/08 09:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new. What a mistake. After 20k it burns over 1qt of oil every 1000 miles, which Dodge says is NORMAL. The sunroof won't close if you're going faster than 20 mph. Again Dodge says this is normal and that you should have to pull over and stop to close your sunroof. It's a piece of junk. Dodge has turned me into a Honda/Toyota lover.