Used 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

30,000 miles and problems not covered!!!
By neverdodge1

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My friends warned me about Chrysler products, but I ignored them. BOY, I was wrong, at 30,000 miles steering was vibrating intensely when cold accompanied by a loud whine. The dealer and Dodge online said tough luck, you bought a lemon and this is the power steering reservoir clogged, a cheap fix. Before considering buying a Chrysler product, you have to ask yourself what kind of car manufacturer screws up power steering. One that ENGINEERS their products to FAIL. I never owned a vehicle with a power steering problem except for the 2 Caravans I bought. I not own this one when the trans fails, and it will, like the other Caravan I owned. I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER PRODUCT.

It would be great if it wasn't engineered to FAIL and need continuously be serviced to keep running.

Stand behind your products and stop engineering your vehicles to FAIL.

This van is the bomb!
By gail39

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We've purchased this van brand new in 2006. It has over 117,000 miles in it! Other than the interior cosmetic issues such as flimsy cup holders and shortage on the automatic windows and lights in the front- in terms of its reliability, it's great as it has never left us stranded anywhere we've been! My kids grew up riding in it and we have all loved it! No transmission or engine issues so far! We're hoping to another 100,000 miles in it!

FINALLY DONE WITH CHRYSLER
By bellguy

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van new in 2005, has been a great hauler for grandkids and big stuff. In 80000 miles, it went thru 3 sets of front brakes and 2 sets of rear brakes, the original tires lasted 28000 miles. Cooer GS4 have lasted 52000 mi. in the last year the sliding doors have decided to rust on the bottom and the rear fender wells have also started. The 3.8 motor has used a quart of oil every 1500 miles since 47000 mi. replaced the turn signal switch 2 times. Final thing the driver side spring broke the other day, never had a car do that. very dangerous. with the rust not sure it's worth repairing. Worst of 4 vans.

Sto n go, most comfortable seats I have ever had, actually the only 2 reasons to ever buy this van. The rest is quite mundane!

Pay the same attention to quality as the Japanese manufacturers . I see many Honda and Toyota Vans on the road with a lot more miles in much better condition. Next van will be a Toyota, already have a Toyota Venza and love it.

Horrible Reliability - Never Buy Dodge Van
By dodgevanowner

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but non-stop issues design flaws, poor quality and mfg'd parts, and multitude of issues. Interesting, when you talk to all the auto shops - which plz take the time to do, they tell you they see this EVERY day with Dodges. After 55k miles, transmission completely went out - which was a $3k repair, dealership would have been $5k. With less than 85k miles still - have already replaced the front left CV joint, replaced alternator, front passenger window regulator, passenger sliding door lock actuator, rear hatch lift gate assembly motor/arm and also shocks, oil pan seal, and more. Bottom line, Dodge vans are total POS and will never buy one again.

The entire reason why my wife forced me to buy this van, was it was the only one with sto-and-go seating at the time. The 2nd row captain chairs fold completely into the floor and the 3rd row bench seat can be folded into the floor as well. Other than the sto-and-go seating, absolutely nothing positive to say about Dodge. What I would say, learned a life lesson - never ever buy a Dodge. Based on many conversations with other families, both Honda and Toyota seems to have infinitely better service and repair records.

First, why after all these years can't Dodge design or buy someone else's design of a transmission that actually works. When you talk to ALL the transmission and auto repair shops, it's unquestionably unanimous that ALL Dodge's - not just these vans, have massive transmission issues. Please don't take my word for it, do your own research - simply pickup the phone and verify in a few minutes yourself. Call 4-5 shops in your town and ask them. Outside of the transmission, I would suggest just continued improvements in overall reliability of parts. Honestly, I would chalk some of these issues outside the transmission as simply wear and tear, don't knock Dodge - as no vehicle is perfect.

I should not have bought a dodge
By dodgesucks3

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with 36,000 miles. It now has 44,000 . Both auto doors went out about a week apart. Lift gate will not stay open. Power driver seat stopped working. Breaks are way under sized for the weight of the vehicle and need to be replaced. I get a slight shutter and wine when turning. It was hard to start in the cold weather. I do like the stow n go seats but they are a but of a chore to stow them. The value for it has dropped so much that I cant even trade it in. No one wants it including me!