Used 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Reasonable Entry Cost But Failures Abound
By MHirn

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The 2006 Grand Caravan was my third Grand Caravan, so I can't say that there is no appeal to the vehicle. When Grand Caravans are in their first couple of years of service they are a joy. They are relatively inexpensive when compared to a Honda Odyssey. The seats fold flat to provide an unparalleled cargo area. This baby hauls sheets of plywood or drywall with the tailgate closed. It lugs around a large family too. Chrysler's design is just not up to the challenge of doing these chores over and over year in and year out. Chrysler designed the vehicle to warn drivers when the sliding doors open by activating the flashers and to protect parents from forgetful children who file out and leave the door open with the cabin light on. The power to all lights and accessories turns off after 15 minutes, protecting the battery from discharge (best family feature ever).

As others have reported, the Grand Caravan has a poor power steering design. In cold weather in particular it is prone to clogging and starving the power steering pump. Mine failed at 30,000 miles. The whining pump noise returned at 100,000 miles whenever the temperature outside was in the single digits. The air bag system failed at 11,000 miles and again at 50,000. The passenger sliding door developed a rattle at about the 60,000 mile mark and the door lock solenoid failed. Grand Caravans develop lots of rattles as they age and the suspension needs rebuilding. There were a steady stream of failures that ended when the coolant leaked out just months after replacing the radiator, water pump and hoses causing the engine to overheat and throw a rod. After less than nine years and 129,000 miles the vehicle had to be recycled. The cost of ownership worked out to $290.00 per month to own the Grand Caravan when I reviewed my repair expenses. This vehicle is likely to nickel, dime and thousand dollar you to death.

great mini van
By marti5

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Grand Caravan brand new in 06. I now have 108,000 on it. I have just replaced the radiator and a water pump about 10,000 miles ago. We had to change a sensor out at about 90,000 miles. Other than those things this van has been great. Stow and go seating is awesome. I have never been stranded in this vehicle. You will always have to replace some parts here and there but I know this caravan has many more miles to go.

Stow and go seating

Reliable Van
By Domestic Diva

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Had this van since 35k miles, now has 89k miles. It has been a very reliable van for our family. middle and 3rd row seats aren't as comfortable as i would like (I think it's b/c they have to fold flat into the floor). Love that they fold flat, makes it a very multipurpose vehicle (can hold lots of "stuff" or people or both). Brakes were replaced but they still squeak, more of a brake manuf. issue than a Dodge issue. Had a Chevrolet Uplander before this van and the Uplander was ALWAYS in the shop for something. Have been really pleased with the Dodge Grand Caravan's reliability; plan to keep it for a long time.

love the storage compartments everywhere

more comfortable stow and go seating.

MINE WAS JUST TOTALED AND I'M MISSING IT
By Holly

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My Grand Caravan met an ungrand ending a few days ago (we were hit) and I'm already searching the net for it's twinkie. It was by far the best, most reliable "car" I've driven. My only complaint would be that a sensor went out around 50,000 that would not allow one of the side doors to close with the click of the auto key. It was $350 to fix, so we made due and got used to it. I also had a problem with the turn signal that would not work, it was covered under warranty. We have five children and really liked the stowing capacity. It was also very comfortable for long trips. (I say that as a driver. 3rd seats not as comfy - but that is true with most vans.)

Extra foot of van length - makes for more leg room for tall teens. Comfy seats. The way it shifts and brakes - make driving fun. :)

Make the plastic fittings for the stow n' go stronger and mats that fit around them with better coverage. We have a lot of kids piling in and out and our (at 75,000) were just beginning to crack. I would also like to see a permanent drink/purse/CD console fixture next to the driver seat.

Disappointed
By Nancy

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van new and within the first year the driver side sliding door mechanism broke and wasn't covered under warranty. Year 2 the air conditioner stopped working and air bag light came on and has perpetually been on since (no one cn figure out what's wrong with it)and year 3 it's been in the shop 3 times; brakes replaced, broken water pump and bad EGR valve. It's so disappointing to have such a popular and common vehicle have so many issues.

stow and go seats

maybe it was just a lemon but I see from another review someone else had similar issues with this model year.